The thought of finding and replacing a text multiple times in long and multiple documents can make anyone feel dizzy, particularly if you use programs like Notepad. Imagine you need to change a brand name or URL on thousands of text files. Even this thought is enough to give you a headache, right? But don’t panic as you have the best find and replace software to your rescue.
Through this article, we introduce you to some best programs to find and replace a single word or all text in bulk. There are a plethora of text batch processing tools to let you do all the finding and replacing in the bat of an eye.
Before we begin, let’s first understand what exactly a find and replace tool is and what it does. Knowing this will help you choose the right one for your needs without any doubts.
What is a Find and Replace Software
To put it simply, it is software that locates a given character sequence in single or multiple text files, and if you want, then replace it with another character sequence. You can use such programs to change the text on millions of files effortlessly.
Now, without making you wait, let’s look at the best find and replace software to change a word or all text in a flash.
Top 10 Best Find and Replace Software Programs to Replace Text in Bulk
Below is the best available software to find and replace all text and carry out the day-to-day processing with ease.
1. Find and Replace (FNR)
Best portable software to replace all text in Word for free
If you want a find and replace software that lets you change a single or all text on all file types, like HTML, PHP, or more, without you needing to download anything, then FNR is the best pick for you. It is among the highly-rated portable programs to find any text/string and replace it with what you want. Apart from this, FNR is quite user-friendly, and even beginners can use it without any cumbersome effort. We share its other top features below.
Features of Find and Replace
- Availability of case-sensitive text finding and replacement option.
- You can locate files in a single directory and sub-directories as well.
- It allows you to use regex search to find and replace files.
- FNR also supports multi-line text and command-line file replacement.
- It is open-source, thus you can check and improve its code.
Know More: Best Free PDF Compressor Software
Best program to find, replace, and clean text automatically
If you want a find and replace software that also allows you to fix the messy text, TextSoap is the best text finder and cleanser for you. With this program, you can do a lot more than just finding and replacing words or all texts. It allows you to delete unwanted characters, fix extra spaces, and more. Let’s look at what all this utility allows you to do.
Features of TextSoap
- There is a text editor with tools like showing line numbers, and a lot more.
- It boasts more than 100 in-built cleaners to solve text problems or customize text processing.
- You get live text matching to display all the matches in your text when you type a valid expression.
- With its library files, you can import/export multiple cleaners within one file.
- The syntax highlighting helps you understand regular expressions and spot any errors in them.
3. Advanced Find and Replace
One of the best software to search and replace word on local computer
Windows already has a find and replace tool inbuilt in it. Advanced Find and Replace is its high-level version. With this software, you can search for desired text on your local computer. And you can use it to replace text on multiple documents effortlessly. It provides some highly attractive features that we believe you might find useful. We enlist them below.
Features of Advanced Find and Replace
- You can use smart queries to search files as you do on Google or Bing.
- It allows you to replace simple/multiline text in more than one file.
- This software has a batch replace option that lets you replace thousands of links in multiple files.
- You can preview the found text.
- It doubles up as a full-fledged file renamer.
- With this software, you can rename or delete folders.
- Using Perl Style, you can replace any complexity with regular expressions.
- It supports command line parameters.
Best find and replace software for the perfectly brewed text
Do you like Espresso coffee? Almost everyone, including us, loves it. After all, it is so refreshing, delicious, and brewed to perfection. One sip is never enough. Now, think about your text. Can you make it perfect in the same way that one can go on and on while praising it? Yes, you can do it using TextSpresso, the coffee-inspired text cleaner with options to find and replace words/links easily. Below are its noteworthy features.
Features of TextSpresso
- It supports filter-based cleaning with over 12 editable filter types.
- This software encompasses over 290 text filters with E-mail, web, Mac-PC, sorting, programming, and publishing filters.
- You get a global menu for all apps with copy/paste functionality.
- Its power-packed text editor boasts unique commands and over 100 levels of undo for every document.
- With its Unicode text system, you can translate to/from one character encoding to another effortlessly.
- It allows you to view and modify the text that you clean without any separate software.
- This software supports multithreaded batch processing and BASIC script filters to download webpages and direct browsers to URLs.
An outstanding software to replace all text in Word with backup and undo options
Here comes yet another software to find and replace text in multiple files efficiently. It offers quite a lot of features such as the quick search for text in compressed files, Word documents, spreadsheets, and more. Below is a detailed list of its features that make it one of the best programs you can download to process text in bulk.
Features of PowerGREP
- It allows you to search for phrases, words, and also binary data.
- You can preview the results before making any file modifications.
- With this software, you can use regular expressions to describe the text you want to search for.
- PowerGREP allows you to split large files into smaller ones and merge small files into a single file for your convenience.
- There are options to rename, copy, move, compress, and decompress files and folders.
- It boasts an extra processing feature to perform additional and search if the search match is not in your desired format.
- You can use it as a portable program.
- It supports both Graphical User Interface (GUI) and command-line interface.
Best software to find and replace text for expert regular expressions users
Here comes yet another excellent tool to find and replace all text in bulk for all the expert users of regular expressions. It makes the task of finding and replacing text as simple as ABC with its intuitive interface and highly useful features. It supports almost all extensions such as TXT, HTM, CSS, LOG, CSV, and more. However, it does not support DOC files, and hence some users may be disappointed. We decided to include it on our list for the features shared below.
Features of TextCrawler
- It allows you to search, replace, insert, and delete text across files.
- There are many options to rename or update files.
- With its text extraction feature, you can rip text into a new file.
- You can sort, remove duplicate lines, and remove whitespace from the extracted text.
- TextCrawler has an incredible preview mode.
- You get a regular expressions test tool.
- It lets you restrict your search to a limited number range.
- There is a regular expression library to save your search results.
- This software allows you to create backup files and export search results.
- It is completely Unicode compatible.
7. Text Monkey
One of the best find and replace software with many text editing options
If you not only want to find and replace words but also perform other text editing tasks, then Text Monkey is among the best software you can use. Along with the easy option to locate and change text, it offers many other text processing features as well. Let’s take a look at the prominent ones.
Features of Text Monkey
- You can clean up overquoted emails.
- This software allows you to convert text to HTML.
- It allows you to format any text present on the clipboard.
- With this software, you can perform a variety of tasks related to the line, indent, and space.
- There are over 40 conversion options available.
8. Actual Search & Replace
Best software to replace text across ASCII files having an option to view the previous searches
Actual Search & Replace is as simple to use as its name sounds. It boasts an easy-to-use interface and many options to find and replace words in files such as text, HTML, etc. Some of its notable features include search earlier results, creation of file backup, undoing the changes, etc. Let’s go through its highlighting features.
Features of Actual Search & Replace
- You can specify the path, name mask, and query to find a file.
- It allows you to use the search engine style queries, search documents for phrases or many words, multiline or regular expressions.
- This software shows abstracts from the searched files and points out the searched words or phrases in them.
- With this software, you can locate files within the previous search results.
- You can replace, insert, and delete text in documents after finding them.
- It also allows you to create file backups and undo the modifications.
- There is support for one-click batch replacements.
- It doubles up as a command-line tool.
9. Handy File Tool
One of the handiest software to find and replace text
For all those who are looking for a lightweight, intuitive, and fast software tool to find and replace text in bulk, Handy File Tool can be the best pick. It offers a variety of features like the option to replace several strings in the list of files in different folders simultaneously. In addition to this, below are its other commendable features.
Features of Handy File Tool
- It gives you an option to browse and manage files/folders.
- You can copy/move files and folders.
- With this software, you can create new folders or delete the existing ones.
- It allows you to search files by file mask or file date.
- This software lets you rename files in several folders simultaneously.
- You can replace text blocks in the list of files in several folders simultaneously.
Best software to find and replace word text with support for plugins
With MultiBatcher, you can do a lot more than finding and replacing text. It allows you to automate and batch process almost all computer tasks such as generating image galleries, resizing images, uploading FTP files to multiple servers, renaming files, and more. And the cherry on top of the cake is, it boasts plugin support allowing you to extend its functionality. Below are the top features of this software.
Features of MultiBatcher
- You can use command line parameters to automate software and scripts.
- It allows you to write all paths taken care of by automatic project to a special file.
- With this software, you can delete files matching the custom file name patterns and filters.
- There is an FTP uploader you can use to update and upload files to various FTP servers automatically.
- With its text replacement feature, you can search and replace text in files.
- There is an excellent regular expressions function.
- It allows you to create image thumbnails.
- Using renaming patterns, you can change and rename the directories and file paths.
- There is a webpage optimizer to optimize HTML space.
You might have several questions about the best find and replace software to carry out the text replacement task in bulk. Therefore, the next section answers some common questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How do you find and replace files in a folder?
If you use Notepad, then you can take these steps to find and replace words in multiple files in a folder manually.
- Use the CTRL+SHIFT+F key combination to activate the Find function.
- In the Find what box, key in the word or phrase you want to replace.
- In the Replace with box, type the new word/phrase.
- Choose the Directory containing the affected files.
- Select Find All to double-check the changes or Replace All to make the changes immediately.
- If you selected Find All, then remove the files you do not wish to edit by clicking on them and pressing DEL.
- Right-click the rest of the files and select Open All.
- Use the CTRL+H shortcut to open the replace menu.
- Now, click on Replace All in All Opened Documents.
Since the above steps take a lot of time and effort, we suggest you perform the replacement task automatically using the programs shared in this article.
Q2. How do you find and replace a text file manually?
To find and replace all text in a Word file manually, you can follow these steps.
- Use the CTRL+H keyboard shortcut to open the Replace menu.
- In the Find box, input the word or phrase you need to replace.
- In the Replace box, enter the new text or phrase.
- Choose Find Next till you arrive at the word you want to change.
- Select Replace. If you wish to make all changes in one go, click on Replace All.
Q3. Which is the best find and replace software?
We have listed many outstanding programs to find and replace text effortlessly in this article. However, after careful consideration of their features, below are our top recommendations.
- Advanced Find and Replace
Concluding the Best Find and Replace Software to Batch Process Text
Through this article, we gave a shout-out to the best find and replace software to change all text in bulk easily. You can choose any of these programs depending on your requirements. And for more software recommendations for your various needs, stay tuned to Innovana Blog. We will be back with another such post soon.