Your favorite soundtrack is playing on your friend’s device and all other platforms, except your Mac? Then, use the best free audio converter for mac software listed below to change it to a supported format with converters for Mac to convert WMA, MP3, and various other formats.
“Unsupported audio format” if this message pops up when you play your favorite track or some other sound file on Mac, you need to read this article. While Mac supports most of the formats, some specific file types may need the best audio converter for Mac to make them playable.
An audio converter software converts your music to a variety of formats, such as WMA, MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, and OGG. And the best part is that many of these programs are free to download.
With all that being said, the question arises, where to find the best converter for Mac to change formats, such as WMA to MP3 or other forms. Well, you don’t need to hunt the web for it.
We have already done all the hard work. We dived through all the audio converter tools for Mac and judged them on their speed, the number of formats they support, quality after conversion, and such other crucial parameters.
The next section presents our well-researched list of the best free audio converters for Mac.
Top 12 Free & Best audio converters for Mac 2021
Below are the best free audio converters to convert audio in any format, such as WMA, MP3, etc. on Mac.
Compatibility: macOS X 11, 10.15, 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10.
Input formats: MP3, WAV, WMA, APE, AAC ,AC3, MKA, APE, AIF, AIFF, AA, AAX,AMR, FLAC, AU, CUE, MPA, RA, RAM, OGG, MP2
Output formats: MP3, WAV, WMA, APE, AAC, AC3, MKA, AIFF, FLAC, AU, OGG, AMR, MP2
UniConverter from Wondershare is among the best audio converters for everyone interested in converting both audio and video. Along with letting you convert MP3 and other formats for free on Mac, it also doubles up as a DVD and video converter for Mac.
To convert audio, all you have to do is choose “audio converter” from the left panel of the software’s home screen.
It offers a bunch of features packed in a neat interface. Let’s take a quick look at the highlighting ones out of them.
Key Features of UniConverter
- You can use it to compress your audio/video files to make them smaller and easily shareable.
- Plenty of video editing tools are available, such as trimming, cropping, subtitle edition, etc.
- With this software, you can record your screen and videos from streaming websites.
- It lets you edit the video metadata.
- You can transfer the converted files to iPhone/iPad.
- UniConverter lets you convert your videos/images to exciting GIFs.
- There is an in-built media player as well.
- It supports more than 1000 formats.
Price: $29.99-$55.99 (depending on your plan). It also offers a free trial version.
Note: For all those who do not want to install any software, UniConverter also boasts an online converter tool for Mac.
Compatibility: macOS 10.7 10.8, 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan, 10.12 Sierra, and 10.13 High Sierra
Input formats: WMA, WAV, OGG, AAC, M4A, FLAC, AIFF, APE, WV, and more
Output format: MP3
As suggested by the name itself, All2MP3 is a free Mac converter to convert audio to MP3 from a variety of formats, such as WMA. It offers the high-quality conversion for over 25 audio formats. You can use it to convert any format to MP3 for all your gadgets in just a few clicks.
Millions of people use this software for its ability to convert lossless audio without any quality drop. In addition to this, below is what else you can do with it.
Key Features of All2MP3
- With this software, you can convert 50+ formats to MP3.
- It works with files coming from all sources, such as streaming media, mic, your friends, etc.
- This program also allows you to convert video formats, such as MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV, MPEG, H.264, DivX, XviD, FLV, and even HD/FHD/4K to MP3.
- You can adjust the quality of the final output from “Less” to “Super.”
- It allows you to change the path where the converted file is saved.
- Due to its friendly interface, we can call it one of the simplest audio converters for Mac.
Compatibility: 10.14 Mojave and above
Input formats: MP4 or M4V, MKV, MOV, MPG or MPEG, AVI, WMV, and more
Output formats: MP4, MOV, WMV, FLV, AVI, etc
For experienced users or people with significant knowledge of audio conversion, HandBrake is another quickest free audio converter for Mac. It is an open-source encoder that works perfectly with both audio and video files.
The software boasts a wide range of features to help you convert WMA to MP3 and other formats on Mac. Below are some of its striking offerings.
Key Features of HandBrake
- You can use it to rip DVDs with no copy protection.
- It allows you to batch process files.
- The software lets you choose a profile optimized for your Mac, a universal profile for standard/high-quality conversions, or play with basic/advanced features to improve encodes.
- It supports a wide spectrum of formats.
Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.5 or above
Input formats: .3GA, .3GP, .AAC, .AC3, .ACT, .RCD, .RED, .AIF, .AIFF, .AIFC, .AMR, .APE, .AUP, .AU, .ASF, .AVI, .CAF, .CDA, .DART, .DCT, .DS2, .DSS, .DTS, .DVF, .FLAC, .FLV, .GSM, .M2A, .M3U, .M4A, .M4B, .M4R, .MID, .MKA, .MKV, .MOD, .MOH, .MOV, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3, .MP4, .MPA, .MPC, .MPEG, .MPGA, .MPG, .MPEG, .MSV, .OGA, .OGG, .OPUS, .PLS, .QCP, .RA, .RAR, .RAW, .REC, .RSS, .SHN, .SPX, .VOB, .VOC, .VOX, .WAV, .WMA, .WMV, .WPL, .WV, .ZAB, .ZIP
Output formats: .AAC, .AC3, .AIF, .AIFF, .AIFC, .AMR, .APE, .AU, .CAF, .CDA, .FLAC, .GSM, .M3U, .M4A, .M4B, .M4R, .MOV, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3, .MPC, .OGG, .OPUS, .PLS, .RAW, .RSS, .SPX, .TXT, .VOX, .WAV, .WMA, .WPL
Switch is yet another amazing free-to-download audio converter for Mac to quickly convert an audio format to any imaginable format. And, that too at an unimaginably fast speed with superb quality.
The most highlighting feature of this software is its wide format compatibility. It supports over 75 formats, including but not limited to MP3, WAV, WMA, FLAC, and OGG.
No matter whether you want to extract audio from videos, CDs, and DVDs or convert YouTube to WAV, this can be your top choice for a free Mac converter.
Below are a few of its prominent features.
Key Features of Switch
- You can access its online database to add information about a song.
- With its batch conversion feature, you can convert multiple files at once.
- It boasts integration with the right-click menu for direct conversion through Windows Explorer.
- The software normalizes the audio automatically while converting a file.
- You can listen to the audio before conversion to check effects and settings.
- Its WAV and FLAC converters support a variety of sample rates.
- There is an MP3 encoder with support for constant or variable bit rates.
- It also functions as a command-line plugin to convert or compress audio files.
- There are options to apply click/pop and noise reduction to the audio after converting it.
- You can upload the converted audio to YouTube, Google Drive, DropBox, and OneDrive directly.
- It boasts support for ID3 metatag editing.
- You can record audio from platforms such as Spotify and Pandora.
Price: $40. It also has a free-to-download version that works for 14 days.
Compatibility: macOS 11.0 (Big Sur), macOS 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.14 (Mojave), macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.12 (Sierra), OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Input format: AAC, AC3, AIF, AIFF, ALAW, AMR, APE, AU, AWB, CAF, DSF, DTS, FLAC, M4A, M4B, M4R, MP2, MP3, MPC, OGG, OPUS, RA, SHN, SPX, TTA, WAV, WMA, WV, and others (including video formats like MP4)
Output formats: AAC, AC3, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, M4R, MP3, OGG, OPUS, WAV, and WMA
Next, we move to MediaHuman. It is also one of the best audio converters for Mac for everyone who wants a free yet simple MP3 converter. Not only MP3, but the software also supports a variety of other formats as you can see above.
Along with support for multiple formats, it also offers many useful options, such as automatic CUE splitting to individual tracks, direct addition of converted files to iTunes/Music.app multimedia library, and more.
Below are some of its other delightful features.
Key Features of MediaHuman
- It boasts a simple and intuitive interface (with a drag and drop tool) that adapts to your needs perfectly.
- The software boasts predefined profiles for all formats.
- There is an option to batch convert the audio files.
- If your file has ID3 tags, then the software searches for disk covers automatically.
- You can preserve the folder structure while converting an audio file from one format to another.
Compatibility: All macOS with browser support
Input formats: 3GA, AAC, AC3, AIF, AIFF, AMR, AU, CAF, FLAC, M4A, M4R, M4P, MMF, MP2, MP3, MPGA, OGA, OGG, OMA, OPUS, QCP, RA, RAM, WAV, WEBM, and WMA
Output formats: AAC, AC3, AIF, AIFC, AIFF, AMR, AU, FLAC, M4A, M4R, MP3, MMF, OPUS, OGG, RA, and WAV
FileZigZag is another beautifully designed software to get the audio files converted to a variety of formats. It can even convert files as large as 150 MB. Apart from no file size constraints and multiple format support, it offers a multitude of features that make it one of the best online free audio converters for Mac.
For instance, you can convert multiple files at the same time. This is not all and the software boasts many other exciting features as well. Let’s take a look at them.
Key Features of FileZigZag
- It converts the file in a three-step process and keeps the download link active for three days.
- There is a free tool to compress files to make them smaller.
- It provides over 6000 different format options.
- According to the checks performed on VirusTotal, it is 100% free from any kind of malware.
- It does not need any signup. You need to enter your email address only if you want the file download link delivered to it or to upload the file on cloud storage.
Read More : Best Mac Apps To Unarchive/Archive Files
Compatibility: All macOS with browser support
Input formats: 3GA, AAC, AC3, AIFC, AIFF, AMR, APE, CAF, FLAC, M4A, M4B, M4R, MIDI, MP3, OGA, OGG, RA, RAM, WAV, and WMA
Output formats: AAC, AC3, FLAC, M4A, M4R, MP3, MP4, OGG, WAV, and WMA
Zamzar is another worth considering converter if you want to convert to MP3 or any other format for free. It lets you perform the task without downloading anything on your Mac, i.e., completely online.
Along with online conversion, it also offers many other features and benefits. Let’s talk about the top ones out of them.
Key Features of Zamzar
- You can even input the URL to convert the content to the desired format.
- After uploading the file, it lists all the available formats as a drop-down menu to avoid confusion.
- It allows you to download the converted files from the website’s homepage. However, you can also choose to get the download link by email.
- There is support for over 1200 file formats.
- You can also use it to convert TXT files to MP3.
- It completes the conversion in a four-step process and the download links remain active for 24 hrs.
Note: The free version of the Zamzar audio converter for Mac lets you convert only two files not exceeding 50 MB. To increase the said limit, you need a subscription.
8. Aiseesoft Audio Converter
Compatibility: macOS X 10.7 and higher
Input formats: FLAC, WAV, M4A, AU, AIFF, and more
Output formats: MP3, WAV, M4A, AAC, WMV, FLAC, and more
Aiseesoft is another good free audio converter for Mac. It offers a variety of features, such as extraction of audio from video files that make it one of the best choices.
With this software, you can even convert lossless audio files, like FLAV, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and RU at a high speed without any quality loss.
Along with this, it also offers a lot of other fascinating features. Below we acquaint you with a few highlighting ones out of them.
Key Features of Aiseesoft Audio Converter
- You can trim video and audio files to remove undesirable parts.
- It allows you to merge multiple audio files into one.
- There is an option to adjust the output audio volume according to your liking.
- You can convert one or more audio files at the same time.
- It gives you an option to drag and drop audio files for loading, editing, and converting.
- The software allows you to customize the audio settings, such as encoder, sample rate, channels, and bitrate.
Note: Along with a completely free best audio converter for Mac, the developers also offer a paid version of the software that you can get for $19/year.
9. Stellar Audio Video Converter
Compatibility: Mac 10.7 and above
Input formats: MP3, M4A, AAC, WMA, WAV, AC3, ACC, AIFF, MP2, M4B, MKA, M4R, APE, OGM, FLAC, OGG, and AU
Output formats: MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, M4A, M4B, M4R, MKA, AC3, AIFF, OGG, and FLAC
Here comes one more best audio converter software for Mac that you can trust to have high-quality WMA to MP3 conversions for free. It offers quite a huge basket of features to fit every user’s audio/video conversion needs.
Not only file conversion but this software also allows you to crop videos, add watermark, change the metadata, and create stunning GIFs. Apart from this, below is what else makes this software one of the top audio converters for Mac.
Key Features of Stellar Audio Video Converter
- You can perform batch audio and video conversions.
- It allows you to add an audio track to the video or replace the current audio with a new one.
- All its formats are camera, mobile, and MP3 player compatible.
- Its interface is quite simple and beginner-friendly.
Note: Along with the free version, Stellar Audio Video Converter is also available as a paid edition with free 24*7 technical support for $24.99.
Read More: Best Free Voice Changer Software for Mac
10. Movavi Audio Converter
Compatibility: Mac OS X® 10.10 and higher
Input formats: AAC, AC3, AIF, AIFF, AIFC, APE, AU, SND, F4A, FLAC, M4A, M4B, M4R, MKA, MP3, OGG, Opus, WAV, WMA, MP+, MP1, MP2, MPC, MPEG-3 and more.
Output formats: AAC, AIFF, AU, F4A, FLAC, M4A, M4B, M4R, MKA, MP3, OGG, WAV, WMA.
If you are looking for a free audio converter for Mac to convert audio to MP3 and various other formats, this software is an excellent choice. It is the perfect fit for the needs of both beginners and experts due to its extremely easy-to-use interface and variety of features.
The software converts music and sound to over 180 formats without disturbing the original quality. Moreover, it adopts an easy three-step approach to help you convert the files effortlessly. Let’s take a look at some of the other fascinating features of this program.
Key Features of Movavi Audio Converter
- Along with audio, you can also perform video conversion.
- It comes with presets for commonly used devices.
- You can compress the files without degrading their quality.
- It allows you to perform various editing functions, such as trimming, rotating, and editing files.
- The software lets you stabilize videos and add subtitles to them.
- There is an option to batch convert your audio or video files.
11. Online Converter (Online)
Compatibility: All macOS with browser support
Input formats: 300+ formats, including video formats
Output formats: mp3, wav, m4a, flac, ogg, amr, mp2, and m4r (for iPhone ringtones)
If you are looking for a completely online and free WMA to MP3 converter for Mac, your search may end here. This software provides a one-stop converting tool for a wide range of formats.
It is among the best software to convert audio quickly and extract audio from video. Not only this but the program is also loaded with many useful features, such as batch conversion. Let’s take a look at its highlighting features.
Key Features of Online Converter
- It allows you to perform advanced operations, such as configuring the quality, bitrate, frequency, and number of channels.
- You can apply reverse playback or fade in, or even eliminate a voice from the audio track.
- It saves your files in a ZIP archive for faster downloading.
- You can change the track’s name, artist, album, year, and genre.
12. TuneCable Apple Music Converter
Compatibility: macOS X 10.11 and above
Input formats: Apple Music, M4P, Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), AAC, MP3, iTunes M4B, M4A music, AIFF, WAV, and Audible AA, AAX
Output formats: MP3, AAC, FLAC, AIFF and WAV(.m4a)
If you need the best audio converter for Mac to convert Apple Music files, Audiobooks, and MP4 music to MP3, then you may choose this software. It boasts some of the magical capabilities, like converting a 4-minute song in only 50 seconds. Yes, it is this fast.
Apart from that, it also offers many other features that make it one of the top free audio converters for Mac. We have listed the top ones below.
Key Features of TuneCable Apple Music Converter
- It provides ID tag information, such as artwork and metadata (artist, album, year, track number, genre).
- There is support for batch conversion of files.
- Its interface is quite easy to use and intuitive.
- You do not need any additional hardware or virtual driver for conversion.
Concluding the Best Free Audio Converters for Mac 2021
Above, we have looked at the best free audio converters for Mac so that you can play any audio on your device. You can pick any of these programs depending on your needs. We will see you soon with more software recommendations for Mac and other platforms. Till then, you can take a tour of our blog to expand your tech knowledge.