Know the Best Free Offline Dictionary for PC to find out a word’s meaning even without the internet
The Internet has opened the gates to the world of massive knowledge for the masses. These days, no matter what your question all that you’re required to do is Google it to get the answer. It has even replaced traditional dictionaries as the meaning of almost every word on the planet is available on the Internet. But, what if someday you come across an unfamiliar word and there’s no Internet connectivity to check its meaning? In such a situation, the best free offline dictionary for PC comes to your rescue.
If the best free offline dictionary software for Windows were not available, then you’d battle with the tough words and make all sorts of assumptions about their meaning. Therefore, to protect you from such tough situations, here we talk about the offline dictionary apps that let you know a word’s meaning quickly without an Internet connection.
10 Best Free Offline Dictionary software for your PC in 2021
There’s an ocean of English dictionary apps in the marketplace and all of them claim to be the best. But, many of them do not even describe the meanings correctly. Therefore, here are the most trusted and authentic free dictionary apps that we’ve handpicked especially for you.
1. Perfect Dictionary
This comprehensive and free dictionary app is perfect for all the inquisitive humans who want to know the meaning of every mysterious word they come across. The app lets you look for the word in multiple dictionaries. Along with this, here are the features that make this the best free offline dictionary for PC stand out from the other offline and free dictionary apps in this list.
- Automatically shows suggested words while typing
- Lets you view and clear the history of searched words
- You can mark your favorite words and pin them
- Although it’s not a new thing, still it has the much-needed audio pronunciation of each word
- Provides multiple dictionaries in 50 different languages
- Boasts premium dictionaries like MacMillan, Cambridge, etc. in the paid version
- Modern & well-segregated interface
It would be great if you try this app to make your vocabulary perfect.
- Easy to use.
- Automatic word suggestions underneath dictionary headings.
- You can delete the search history at any time.
- No option to change the font size.
- UI may seem a bit confusing at the beginning.
This free offline dictionary app claims to have won several accolades for unique features such as pronunciations in real human voices. Apart from this, WordBook has more than 150,000 entries, along with over 220,000 definitions. Here are some other key characteristics that brought it to the list of the best free offline dictionary software for Windows.
- 30000 etymologies
- In-built word links and thesaurus
- Seamless content navigation
- Approximately 70000 usage samples
- 120,000 IPA pronunciation directories
- Human voice pronunciation audios with over 150,000 real human voices
- You can tap on a word to view its definition
- It boasts more than 220000 definitions.
- You can add new words to the dictionary.
- Seamless integration with other dictionaries.
- Dull and boring interface.
In our view, this fast, well-designed, and intuitive free offline dictionary from TranCreative LLC is one of the must-try apps.
3. The Oxford Dictionary
Here comes the showstopper and perfect free dictionary app to end this list of the best offline dictionary apps for Windows. Here’re the features that make The Oxford Dictionary feature in this post.
- Frequently updated with new words, presently has approximately 350000 words, phrases, and their meanings
- Autocomplete functionality that predicts the word as you type in the search box
- Keyword lookup to help search for the compound phrases and words.
- Dictionary with plenty regionally specific entries
- Offers latest vocabulary & highlights the global adaptability of English, along with extensive search experience
- You can tap on a word to view its definition
- Automatic suggestions for the words you are looking for.
- Gigantic database of words.
- Beginners can use it easily.
- A bit complicated definitions and unclear explanations.
After going through the features, we feel that this is one of those best English dictionary apps that make it easy for you to build word power.
4. The Free Dictionary
The Free Dictionary is the most popular English dictionary app across the globe. Now, as it has come up with an offline version, its popularity has increased leaps and bounds. Here’re some of the striking features that make it the best free offline dictionary for PC.
- Contains 13 homepage sections
- Lets you view the dictionary in 14 languages.
- Allows you to search a word in 4 different ways
- Translates a word into 40 languages
- You contribute to the welfare of the world as the badges you get while using the app can be exchanged for meals for the poor children.
- It contains special dictionaries for meanings of words from various fields such as legal, medical, financial, etc.
- The Free Dictionary online software also allows you to search a word on Google.
- It lets you change the font size.
- Interesting word games and cartoon graphics.
- Distracting ads.
- A bit overwhelming UI.
The bottom line is, it would be great if you try this app, sharpen your vocabulary, and get the blessings of the hungry children at the same time.
5. WordWeb Dictionary
WordWeb Dictionary is a massive ocean of words where you can find meanings of approximately 85000 mysterious words. Apart from this, it also comes embedded in MS Word and offers several customizable hotkeys. However, some of you may find the UI of this software quite outdated. Below we have listed several unique features of this free online dictionary that caught our attention.
- Not just displays the meaning of words, but also its synonyms, antonyms, and parts of speech
- Familiar and user-friendly interface
- Along with American & British English, WordWeb Dictionary supports plenty of other languages as well
- Lets you access words and phrases in just a click
- Gives you examples for the uses of words
- Allows you to effortlessly integrate dictionaries such as Oxford
- Offers Online & Offline resources both
- Feature to bookmark certain words for future
- Translator to view the world translation with one click.
- WordWeb is effortlessly accessible from a word file.
- Huge word database.
- A few audio pronunciations are not accurate.
After going through the features, pros, and cons, we feel this offline dictionary is worth trying. You get it in both free as well as paid versions. Although the free version is excellent, still if you spend a few bucks, then you get additional features such as approximately 70000 audio pronunciations, the freedom to add new words, and search for web references.
6. Advanced English Dictionary
Advanced English Dictionary is one of the best offline dictionary for PC. It is correctly named as ‘advanced’ as it has some of the most incredible & unique features and a clean interface. Here they are.
- A huge database of approximately 400000 words
- Audio pronunciation, along with the word’s etymology
- Automatic suggestions while typing a word in the search bar
- A clipboard search feature to copy and find the meaning of the whole content
- Image gallery especially for nouns
- Along with the meaning, it offers word relations
- Also allows to bookmark the words
- Clean and friendly interface.
- Clear definitions.
- Regularly updated database.
- Free from ads.
- Supports only English.
In addition to the above features and pros, the uncluttered and smooth interface also makes it a must-try and one of the best free offline dictionary software for Windows. However, you must also not ignore the cons before trying it.
7. The Sage English Dictionary and Thesaurus
With a database of over 12.4 million words, 82000 etymologies, 1.9 million word relationships, 320,000 senses, 600,000 examples of use, and 170,000 phonetic transcriptions, The Sage English Dictionary and Thesaurus is undoubtedly one of the best free offline dictionary software for Windows. Here’re some of its other notable features.
- The freedom to choose from classic, retro, spell assistant, and e-paper
- A rhyme assistant that suggests rhyming words
- There’s an in-built functionality to search for anagrams and other online searches.
- Two way working, i.e., lets you search a word from its definition as well as find out the definition using the word
- Functions as a speaking dictionary
- Gives practical definitions from several sources
- Allows to search for multiple words simultaneously
- Boasts a portable version of itself.
- Lets you look up definitions through keyboard shortcuts.
- Supports spoken previews, i.e., pronounces the words you search.
- Its organization confuses users a bit.
- The one-click feature is not well integrated.
There are certain cons, but after glancing at the features and pros, it seems like a fantastic free dictionary app that you may try.
Also Read: Best Free Snipping Tools for Windows
8. Sidebar Dictionary
This is the must-have and best free offline dictionary for PC for all those who want a side-by-side app to look for word meanings while reading or editing a document. Making the correct word choice is crucial while you edit or write documents, and with Sidebar Dictionary, you can choose the right words with ease. Apart from this, here are its other fantastic features.
- Multi-language support
- Lets you copy the text and know its meaning
- User-friendly interface
- Helpful for searching definitions of words while reading and writing
- Straightforward functionality as it requires one click to find the definition of a word
- It boasts easy-to-use pronunciation and translation options.
- Sidebar Dictionary walks you through the process when you use it for the first time.
- It allows you to add copied words.
- You can change the theme, switch the interface, and delete the search history.
- Multiple language support.
- Fast and easy to use translator.
- Beginners may find it a bit difficult to use.
We would recommend this app if you are searching for the best offline dictionary apps to find out the most appropriate words for your document.
Goldendict is another free dictionary app available for Windows. What makes it one of the best offline dictionary apps is the option to search for meanings of words in Wikipedia. Apart from this, here are its other prominent features.
- Compatibility with a multitude of dictionary formats
- WebKit engine to show formatted articles
- Hunspell to check the spellings
- With the help of templated Url patterns, it employs arbitrary websites as dictionaries
- Provides audio pronunciation from forvo.com
- Also gives spelling suggestions
- Comes with a popup functionality to provide meanings of the word selected from some other program
- Compatible with global hotkeys
- Compatible with many dictionary file formats.
- Allows complete text search in articles.
- It displays articles in a web page-like format.
- It only translates one word or short phrases.
In our view, this English dictionary app won’t disappoint you if you try it.
10. Ultimate Dictionary
Its collection of 61 dictionaries make it the go-to place for everyone who desires to build his word power. It contains all the information you may wish to know about a word. Apart from this, below are its unique features.
- Multilingual support, i.e., supports languages such as Polish, Spanish, and French.
- Lets you find all the details about the word in a single click.
- Displays the definitions sourced from all the 61 dictionaries
- Contains tools to add, remove, and rearrange dictionaries
- Supports the Stardict Dictionary format
- It even starts showing the meaning and definitions of the word as soon as you start entering it with cues.
- Facilitates easy comparison of different dictionary descriptions.
- Unique scan mode for translating words below the mouse.
- Fast search speed.
- Its installation file is quite large.
Despite the above cons, it is one of the high-rated English dictionary apps for its wonderful features and pros.
11. English Dictionary – Offline
As the name suggests, the English Dictionary – Offline helps you to find the meanings and definitions of the words & phrases without using any internet connection on your PC. This best free offline dictionary software does not require you to download any additional references to know the meaning of words. Along with this benefit, English Dictionary – Offline also has quite a straightforward and clean interface, making it one of the most easy to use dictionary application. Below we have discussed some of its more salient features.
- Along with the meaning, also provides audio pronunciation & related words
- Offers useful suggestions with its Auto-suggest feature
- Teaches a couple of new words daily by giving ‘Word of the day’ notification
- Provides grammatical information such as parts of speech, antonyms, synonyms, and hyponyms
- Algorithm to check spellings
- Gives you examples for the uses of words
- Also shows the recent searches and allows you to make the searches as favorite
- Audio pronunciation in UK accent
- A plethora of features.
- Easy to use.
- A bit outmoded interface.
In total, English Dictionary – Offline is a great choice if you are looking for an easy to use & complete offline solution to enhance your vocabulary.
Here comes another great offline dictionary for Windows. LingoPad hosts dictionaries for multiple languages, including English, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, etc. However, it can be a great software for you if you are looking for a German to English dictionary or vice versa. This best free dictionary program for Windows offers plenty of features such as an easy interface, wordlist editor, etc. Below we have discussed the other highlights of LingoPad.
- Allows to import your dictionary & terminology
- You can even search a word with its beginning, middle, or end part
- Customizable hotkeys
- IPA transcription available for English words
- Option to search meanings of words on different search engines
- Shows the recent searches
- Clipboard search feature
- Provides related words, or we can say collocations
- Entirely free
- There is an option to define a user dictionary.
- Links directly to Wikipedia and search engines.
- Its Chinese-English dictionary uses characters not available in the dictionary.
- Slightly more useful for German-English/English-German dictionary users..
As we have stated above, it is an exceptional dictionary software if you want a German to English or vice versa dictionary. However, you might have to wait for the next update as it doesn’t receive regular updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Does Windows 10 have a dictionary?
Windows 10 comes with an in-built dictionary for its browser, i.e., Microsoft Edge. When using the browser, you can use this dictionary to listen to a word’s pronunciation, view its meanings, synonyms, and more.
Q2. Is there a dictionary app for PC?
Numerous dictionaries are available for PCs. Above we have shared some of them for your convenience. However, if you still need recommendations, then below are the ones we like the most.
- Perfect Dictionary
- The Free Dictionary
- The Oxford Dictionary
Q3. How do I download the dictionary on my Windows 10 laptop?
To get the best dictionary for your laptop, you can refer to the list shared above. Go to the download link of the dictionary you like and then follow the instructions on your screen to install it on your notebook PC.
Final Words On The Best Free Offline Dictionary Software For Windows
Hopefully, this post has helped you get the best free offline dictionary software for Windows to build your vocabulary. There’s no end to the number of words and knowledge you can acquire. Keep learning with these apps and spreading the knowledge without letting Internet connectivity issues block your way. Lastly, before you go, subscribe to our newsletter for staying updated with more such knowledgeable apps.