Judging how the graphics card is performing was never an easy task. But, luckily, a technique called benchmarking has made it less cumbersome for you to know how is the performance of the graphics card so that you know when is the time to update the graphics drives for a smooth gaming experience. The best graphics card benchmarks software pushes the card to its limits so that you can understand whether the card can play high-end games and other graphic intensive software or not. Moreover, the best GPU benchmarks test your graphic card thoroughly so that you know how much pressure it can handle.
Now, since you know about benchmarking selecting the correct GPU benchmark software is not a tough task. To help you choose one effortlessly, we have selected the best GPU benchmark software for you and our other readers. We share the same in the next segment.
What are The Best Free GPU Benchmark Tools in 2020
Below we list out the best free GPU benchmark tools so that you can choose the appropriate tool to judge the graphic card’s performance.
1. Heaven UNIGINE
This is another best graphic card benchmark tool for gamers and overclockers. This synthetic benchmark software pushes your graphics card to the maximum possible limits and shows you how stable it is. It also helps you judge the effectiveness of your graphics card cooler. In addition to this, the software’s other noteworthy features include multiplatform support, GPU temperature, clock monitoring, and more. Let’s now summarize these features below.
- It helps you know how effective your graphics card cooler is.
- There is support for multiple platforms.
- Checks the temperature of the GPU and keeps an eye on the clock
This is another free and among the best graphic card test tools that let you compare your card’s performance with that of the other users. All that you are required to do for running the benchmark test is download it, select your desired API, start the test, and then wait for the software to display the score so that you can compare it with the other similar graphic cards. In a nutshell, below are the central features of GFXBench.
- Lets you compare the card’s performance with other similar cards effortlessly.
- There is support for even low-level API such as Vulkan, Metal, and DirectX12.
- It is a one-stop destination for measuring the device’s battery performance and visual fidelity
3. 3DMark Basic Edition
This product from FutureMark is the most popular and one of the best graphic card benchmark software for synthetic benchmarking. It lets you have a quick view of how your graphics card is performing in comparison to the other cards. The basic edition is free to use, but if you want to do an in-depth analysis of the graphic card’s performance, then you can spend a few bucks and get the advanced version. Below we have summarized its features.
- Automatically scans your device and indicates the kind of benchmark that you should run.
- Displays the detailed charts of GPU temperature, clock speed, and frame rates.
- It is among the most well designed and user-friendly video card benchmarks. Even a novice user can use it easily
This is another widely used and among the best GPU benchmark for Windows to run synthetic benchmarking tests. To check the graphic card’s performance, you need to download the PerformanceTest from PassMark’s official website. It lets you run 2D and 3D tests. These tests check the vectors, fonts, bitmaps, 4K resolution, GUI elements, and various other factors. Below are the key highlights of this benchmark software.
- There are configurable tests if you want to get a deeper insight into the GPU performance.
- You get tech support and software updates for free.
- Applies 28 standard benchmark tests to judge the performance of your PC’s processors.
This tool is one of the most trusted and best GPU benchmark tools to judge the GPU’s stability and stress it can handle. FurMark, also called GPU burner, needs an OpenGL compliant graphics card and can also monitor the GPU’s temperature. Let’s now have a look at the key highlights of this software.
- There is a burn-in test mode for the overclocked
- Monitors and records the GPU temperature.
- It has both fullscreen as well as windowed run modes.
This best graphic card and GPU benchmark for Windows evaluates the GPU’s 3D speed and lets you compare the results with other graphic cards effortlessly. The cherry on top of the cake is, you don’t even need to spend a penny to get this tool as it is a free GPU benchmark available for Windows. Below are the striking features of this best GPU benchmark software.
- The software is free from annoying ads.
- Hosts an easy to use interface.
- Focuses on the real-world performance of the graphics card and helps you compare it easily with similar cards.
This is another offering from Unigine, the developers of Heaven benchmark. Superposition the latest and free GPU benchmark runs rigorous tests on your graphics card to evaluate its performance and stability.. It uses a technology that needs no RTX hardware to deliver impressive results. Once the test results appear, you may compare and judge the performance of your GPU in comparison to the other GPU’s on the leaderboard. This helps you decide whether you should go for a graphics card update or not. We talk about its distinguishing characteristics below.
- You get an interactive mode with free mini-games.
- There is a global leaderboard for the benchmark rankings.
- It has high-grade visuals by UNIGINE 2 Engine.
This snappy and straightforward, and OpenGL benchmark software is undoubtedly one of the best graphic card benchmarking tool ever created. It runs several tests on your graphic card and then lets you compare the results with the other users having similar graphics card configurations. Do give it a try to know where your card’s performance stands. Let’s have a look at a few of its highlighting features.
- It uses much larger and complex test scenes than other graphic card benchmarks.
- There are three tests to check the performance of the GPU
This best GPU benchmark software for Windows lets you know whether a particular high-end game will run on your PC or not. It compares the hardware capabilities with the game requirements and declares whether your PC is capable to support the game or not. In addition to this, it also tests the graphic card performance and displays the score both numerically and graphically. Let’s have a look at its distinct features.
- Lets you know whether a particular game will run successfully on your computer or not.
- Tests the graphics card performance thoroughly and indicates whether it can handle tough situations or not.
- Displays the test results both numerically and graphically for easy comparison and analysis.
10. MSI Afterburner
This is our last pick for the list of the best GPU benchmark. What makes this GPU benchmark test software unique is, in addition to providing the regular information about your GPU, it also allows you to overclock the GPU, create custom fan profile, run in-game tests, record the gameplay and take its screenshot. What else can anyone want? Most probably, nothing. Here we talk about some of its unique characteristics.
- With this best GPU benchmark software, you can even overclock the processor.
- It lets you create a recording of the gameplay and custom fan profile.
- The software is easy to use for amateur users.
Here comes another best stress test for GPU. This graphics card benchmark software pushes the GPU to its maximum limits so that hardware issues can be detected well in advance. Moreover, it comes with a monitoring engine to let you review the issues with your GPU and judge how it performs when there is a heavy load. It has the availability of both paid and free editions. The free edition is available only for personal use and offers five graphic card tests, real-time performance monitoring, a temperature monitor, complete test report with graphics so that you can take further decisions about the GPU with ease.
- 5 GPU tests to determine how it performs under heavy load conditions.
- Monitors the GPU’s performance in real-time.
- Keeps a check on the temperature while testing GPU.
- Presents a complete test report so that you can correctly judge the GPU performance.
Here comes an ultimate GPU diagnostic tool. With this best free GPU benchmark in 2020, you can do a detailed analysis of the GPU and judge whether you need to update drivers or overclock the processors or not. Along with real-time monitoring, it offers a plethora of useful features. Let’s discuss a few of them below.
- Employs a 64-Bit multi-threaded stress testing module to drive the GPU to its maximum limits.
- Boasts a sensor panel so that you can monitor all the sensors present on your computer in the way you want.
- It is also among the best software to keep a check on the processor’s temperature and diagnose the hardware issues.
13. MSI Kombustor
Here comes another power-packed and the best GPU benchmark software. It pushes your GPU to its maximum potential so that you can judge whether it can survive the heavy gaming sessions or not. Talking about the features of the incredible software, it has some of the much-needed offerings such as an option to choose from a long GPU burn-in test and a single benchmarking test. In addition to this, below are its other striking features.
- Boasts a GPU illumination manager.
- Supports a massive range of APIs.
- This video card benchmark does not consume much PC resources.
14. CPUID powerMAX
If you want to check the efficiency of the cooling system along with running a GPU burn-in test, then it is among the best GPU benchmark software that you can use. It tests the GPU’s performance under maximum stress conditions and also checks how efficiently the cooling fan and the power supply unit performs. In addition to this, below are its prominent features.
- Runs a 3D scene based test that stresses the video card.
- It hosts a straightforward and intuitive interface.
- Lets you test the GPU and CPU simultaneously.
These were the best GPU benchmark software that can help you know how your graphics card fares in comparison to your peers and whether it is the correct time to update the card or not. Now, we are going to address a few frequent queries we receive about graphic card benchmarking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Why Run the Best GPU Benchmarks?
Running the best GPU benchmark for Windows helps you know how your graphics card performs under tough situations. In addition to this, the graphic card benchmarking is essential for numerous other reasons. The key ones out of them are listed below.
- In case you’ve overclocked the graphics card, then running a video card benchmark makes you sure about the GPU’s stability
- Graphic card benchmark for Windows helps you detect any issues at the earliest so that you don’t face any frame drops or glitches while playing your favorite games
- Lets you compare the results with the newly launched graphic cards and decide whether it is the right time to update or not.
Q2. What are the Types of Graphics Card Benchmarks?
The graphics card benchmark for Windows can be categorized into two types. We discuss both of them below.
- Synthetic Graphics Card Benchmarks
This type of graphic card benchmark for Windows is run using synthetic software having their built-in graphics card test tools to calculate the performance scores. These scores are in the form of big numbers. A higher score indicates that your graphic card performs better than the other cards with lower scores. These GPU benchmark test software, also known as artificial benchmarking, is a trustworthy and easy way to know how well your graphics card is performing.
- Real-Time Graphics Card Benchmarks
This type of benchmarking is for all those gamers for whom gaming performance means a lot more than the synthetic benchmarking scores and who are desirous of knowing about the frame rates and fps they are getting while playing a game. It is also called as real-world benchmarking and measures the fps during live gameplay. More fps means your graphics card is capable of playing games smoothly.
Q3. What games can be used for GPU benchmarking?
GPU benchmarking can be done for all kinds of games. A plethora of games has in-built benchmarks. For example, games such as Ashes of the Singularity, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, and Batman Arkham Knight come with built-in benchmarking features. To run the benchmark for games that do not have such a feature, you require the best GPU benchmarking software. With these tools, you can benchmark any game. Below are some of the games for GPU benchmarks.
- Battlefield V
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Dishonored 2
- Doom Eternal
- Minecraft RTX
Q4. How to benchmark the graphics card?
You can perform graphic card benchmarking with free as well as paid benchmarking software. If you are looking for a free GPU benchmark software to benchmark the graphic card, then our recommendations include 3DMark (Its free version is has a few limitations, but it is highly efficient). Moreover, our other suggestions are MSI Afterburner and Heaven UNIGINE for the host of preset settings that they provide.
Q5. How to see and interpret the benchmark results?
Most of the benchmark software displays the results in an easy to understand ways. For instance, the Heaven benchmark shows enticing 3D environments while running. Below is how to interpret the results.
- In case the benchmark fails to run smoothly, then this indicates that your graphics card is not efficient enough to handle certain graphics.
- Any FPS (Frames Per Second) rating below 30 means that the gaming experience will not be as smooth as you would expect. Ideally, FPS should be 60.
- High temperature means that your GPU is overheating and struggling to run the graphic intensive game.
Q6. How to improve the benchmarking scores?
There is no need to panic if the benchmarking scores are not that great. Instead of panicking, you can take a few easy steps to improve your graphic card performance and get better results the next time you run a benchmark. Below we share these simple things that you can do to take the graphic card performance a notch up.
- Download compatible graphics card drivers and keep them updated. You can do this in no time with Quick Driver Updater.
- In case you have recently installed beta drivers, then roll back the driver to an earlier version.
- Close all the other Windows programs and perform the benchmark tests again.
Try solving various graphic card problems such as GPU overheating.
Top 14 Graphic Card Benchmarking Software 2020
These were our topmost picks for the best graphics card benchmark software. Select the one that fits your requirements the most. While selecting a benchmark for your GPU and graphics card, consider the type of benchmarking you need to perform. Lastly, before you leave, do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter and let us know in the comments whether this blog-post has helped you or not.