Finding the best unrar app for Mac to unarchive the archived files? Here in this post, we have discussed some best unarchiver/archiver for Mac. Read on to know about some free unzipper apps for Mac as well.
Sharing big files is always a challenge, as it takes more time and resources to share them. However, there is a way through which one can easily transport large files from one device to another. You only have to archive the files into a .zip, .rar, or any other archive file format before sharing it. There are some best ZIP program for mac that do the same.
You can use the default app of the macOS to archive files if you are not concerned about customization. It only compresses files in .zip file. Although if you want complete control over your archive files along with some other useful features, then here we have brought some of the best archiver for Mac.
Along with a compressor app, a lot of these also serve as unrar, or we can say unarchiver. So, you can also consider them as the best unrar or unarchiver app for Mac. Now, without further ado, let’s move to the list and check some free unzipper for Mac.
Best Archiver/Unarchiver Apps For Mac In 2021
Below we have listed the best archiver/unarchiver apps and zip software for Mac that you can use for compressing or unzipping/unarchiving files quite efficiently.
WinRAR is the most famous utility on this list to archive files on Mac. Not just the tool helps you to archive files quickly and easily, but also lets you unarchive the compressed ones.
It also creates backups of your data and allows you to compress the email attachments. There are several other features that this free unzipper/archiver and best zip file extractor for Mac offers to its users. Here we have highlighted the prominent ones.
Prominent Features Of WinRAR
- The app supports almost all the compressed files. So you can easily archive your files into RAR, ARJ, 7-Zip, ACE, CAB, ZIP, and many other formats.
- You also get a 128-bit password encryption feature in WinRAR so that you can archive the files with password protection.
- It gives you one of the most personalized experience of archiving & unarchiving files on your Mac, with multiple features to edit, open, & create the .rar files or any other compressed file.
- Another major thing about WinRAR that makes it one of the best unrar app for Mac is the inbuilt antivirus that takes care of all the corrupted files.
Also Read: Best RAR File Extractor Software to Open RAR Files (Windows/Mac)
2. StuffIt Expander
Another safe and best unzip app for mac is the StuffIt Expander. You can use this tool to decompress or un-archive files of over 30 different formats. If you are looking for a tool that supports .sit and .sitx archives, then StuffIt Expander is one of the best zip tool for mac for you.
The software also allows you to access StuffIt files from the utility itself. Although, you can use the integrated tool on mac to archive and unarchive files, but StuffIt Expander provides an extra grip over the files. Here are some features of this tool as the best zip for mac.
Standalone Features of StuffIt Expander:
- The tool supports 7zX, iShrink, SimplyRAR, CleanArchiver, Springy, TarPit, RAR, and other extensions.
- You can download and install the software on low-end devices as well.
- The software has cross-platform and can be used on other OS as well.
- If you want a fast tool with zero-hassles, StuffIt Expander is one of the popular options.
- The tool provides multiple options for compressing and decompressing files.
- StuffIt Expanes is lightweight and does not require much space to install.
- The archiver supports drag and drop operations.
You might have also heard about WinZip. It is one of the prominent utility to create and edit zip or any other compressed file on Mac. Users consider WinZip as one of the best unzipper for Mac as it supports almost all the archive file formats.
The best zip app for mac software is also quite useful for transferring files over different platforms as it compresses them and reduces their size.
After that, it becomes easier for one to upload the compressed files on the cloud storage. Here are some other beneficial features of this best archiver for Mac.
Beneficial Features Of WinZip
- You unzip or unarchive any compressed files quite easily and snappily with this best unarchiver for Mac.
- It allows you to share the archived files over the cloud storage such as Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud Drive, Zip Share from within the app itself.
- Users of WinZip also get a Zip and Burn feature to back up their files over CDs and DVDs.
- This archiver also helps you to protect your compressed files with AES-256 password protection.
4. Better Zip
Here comes a better way to compress and decompress files on Mac. Better Zip is a great utility to archive files and manage the archived ones. One can even unzip some selective files from an archived folder using this free unzipper for Mac.
You do not even need to extract a zipped folder to open it while having the best unzipper mac, Better Zip.
It also offers several other handy features that make it one of the best unzipping tool on Mac. Here we have listed them below.
Handy Features Of Better Zip
- The software provides an AES-256 password encryption feature to safeguard your compressed files from unauthorized access.
- It allows you to compress your files in most of the archive formats, including ZIP, 7-ZIP, DMG, XAR, TXZ, etc.
- The app also allows you to have a quick preview inside an archived file without extracting it.
- You can even integrate the tool into your workflow. One can easily script this app with the help of AppleScript.
Also Read: 5 Best Free File Encryption Software for Windows and Mac
Bandizip is another gem on the list of some best file archiving apps for Mac. It helps you to modify the archived files along with creating or extracting them. The tool is also known for its feature to provide an easy view of the compressed folders before unzipping them.
It is quite a great best unzip mac tool for devices having OS X. The users are also quite impressed with its advanced features.
Below we have highlighted some of the best features of BandiZip as the best archiver for mac.
Impressive Features Of BandiZip
- One of the most impressive features of BandiZip is its drag & drop functionality. The tool allows its users to archive files and extract them by just dragging & dropping them into the app.
- Another luring thing about BandiZip is its password protection. It offers an AES-256 password encryption feature along with an inbuilt password manager.
- The multilingual interface of the software supports English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and other languages.
- The tool supports over 30 different formats for compression and decompression including RAR/RAR5/7Z/ZIP.
- You can compress the files of up to 4 GB with the help of this tool.
- The software even allows you to select the specific files you want to extract.
- The developers of the tool issue regular updates with better features and bug fixes.
As the name suggests, Archiver is a competent tool to archive files on your Mac device. It helps you to reduce the size of your files by compressing them. However, along with the archiving activities, the unzipping ability of the Archiver is also quite impressive. Hence, you can easily unzip the compressed files using this best unarchiver for Mac. It also provides several advanced features, including password protection, early preview, etc.
Here we discuss some of the most useful features of Archiver as the best zip file extractor for mac.
Prominent Features Of Archiver
- The tool comes with a drag and drop functionality and allows you to unarchive or extract the compressed files by just dragging and dropping them.
- It also provides password protection for the archive files.
- You can even sneak peek into the zipped files without extracting them as well. The tool allows you to have a preview of the archived folder.
- Archiver also helps you to upload and transfer the archive files to the cloud storage. It supports several cloud storage services, including Google Drive, DropBox, Yandex, OneDrive, etc.
Also Read: How to Transfer Files From iPhone to Mac Without iTunes
YemuZip is indeed the best file extractor for mac. The utility is quite easy to use as it supports drag and drop functionality. You do not require “__MACOSX” or any other utility to run this program on your Mac. The tool can send all the ZIP files directly to the email for your convenience.
One of the best attributes of YemuZip is that it is the lightest best zip software for mac. The interface of the tool is quite basic and easy to understand even if you are a newbie. Let’s get further information about the product from its features listed below.
Top Fetaures of YemuZip:
- YemuZip allows you to switch between the PC-friendly format and Mac format as you like.
- The tool remembers the last opened and accessed folder for your ease of working.
- You can even use YemuXip to upload compressed folders and files to DropBox, the famous Cloud platform.
- The tool can compress multiple big or small files depending on the type.
- The utility may not be free to use and comes with a subscription price of $4.99 but is surely one of the best in line.
If you are looking for an efficient as well as easy to use tool to compress & extract the compressed files on Mac, then iZip is a great choice. It not only helps you to archive or unarchive the files but also provides them password protection with its encryption technology. One of the major advantages of using iZip is its drag and drop functionality. Along with all these things, this tool also offers several other advanced features. Here we have enlisted them below.
Advanced Features Of iZip
- The tool supports almost all the major archive file formats, including ZIP, RAR, 7ZIP, ZIPX, TAR, etc.
- It also allows you to play the videos and slideshows of images, even without extracting them. Due to this feature, one can easily consider it among some best unarchiver for Mac.
- The app has integrated AES-256 technology to protect your files and data at all times.
- Despite so many advanced features, the UI of this free unzipping tool on Macis quite straightforward and easy to use.
Keka is another easy to use & competent unrar or unarchiver tool for Mac on this list. The app offers the drag and drop functionality to compress files. Hence, anyone can use it quite easily. Apart from this, Keka is also a customizable file compressor tool. The tool offers several other functions as well that can help you a lot in archiving and unarchiving your files swiftly. Here we list them below.
Salient Features Of Keka
- The software offers password protection for some of the selected archive formats such as 7z and Zip.
- It is one of the rare free unzipper for Mac that allows you to select the format of the archive files.
- The tool supports all major archive formats, including RAR, Zip, Gzip, ISO, 7z, EXE, CAB, DMG, etc.
- You can even use Keka to split the large archive files so that you can easily transport them to other devices or upload them over your cloud storage.
10. B1 Free Archiver
Another great example of the best unzipper mac is the B1 Free Archiver. As the name suggests, B1 Free Archiver is a free-to-use archive software used to compress and decompress multiple files at once. The tool is cross-platformed and downloadable on OS other than Mac.
The tool is friendly and uses smart algorithms to work with huge files. The compression speed offered by the tool is the best you can ever ask for. Here are some of the noteworthy features of this best zip tool for mac.
Outstanding Features of B1 Free Archiver
- You do not need to register anywhere to use B1 Free Archiver.
- The tool supports multiple formats for compression and decompression (b1, arj, bz2, gzip, zip, jar, xpi, cab, deb, rar, 7z, etc.)
- B1 Free Archiver is simple yet fast and gets tht job done quickly.
- The software does not share your data with others and maintains your privacy.
- You can even work and manage encrypted folders with B1.
- As the software is open-source, you can edit the codes and modify it as required.
11. The Unarchiver
You might have got an idea about the functionality of this app by its name. The Unarchiever is one of the proficient tools that helps you to unrar/unzip/unarchive the compressed files in your Mac. The functionality of this best unrar tool for Mac only focuses on extracting the archived files, and hence the app doesn’t have an option to archive files on Mac.
However, if your primary requirement is only extracting the archives, then The Unarchiever is the most competent tool. Here are some of the salient features of this best archiver for mac.
Impressive Features Of The Unarchiver
- It supports almost all the archive formats, including Zip, RAR, Tar, Gzip, 7-zip, StuffIt, DiskDoubler, ARJ, ARC, ISO, BIN, etc.
- The app even detects the filename encoding and then handles them appropriately. It helps you to extract all the files with their correct names.
- The interface of the application is also quite simple and straightforward.
- One does not need to spend huge amounts of money to use the full version of The Unarchiver. It is entirely free on Mac App Store.
12. Commander One
Commander One is a new introduction from Eltima Software as the best zip file extractor for Mac. The tool is not just an archive software but also an effective file manager for mac devices.
Commander One software supports a lot of different extensions for compression and decompression, making it one of the best zip software for mac.
The only drawback of the tool is that it does not support the compression of RAR files. What makes the software so great is its ability to copy the files from any compressed folder without even extracting them. Let’s dive into the features of this utility as the best zip app for mac for better understanding.
Outstanding Features of Commander One:
- Commander One supports ZIP, RAR, 7Zip, TBZ, TGZ, and numerous other formats.
- The interface of the tool has three view modes to make the file’s display attractive and feasible.
- You can use the two panels with unlimited tabs of the utility and work with ease.
- You can access both local and remote drivers with the help of this tool.
- The tool allows you to queue the operations and prioritize as required.
- One of the best features of Commander One is that you can encrypt the data as well.
- You can search the contents of the compressed files without opening them.
Here comes a tool that is primarily an archive manager for Mac but also has the ability to compress and extract files. iPack has all the features required for the best unrar tool for Mac. It can archive/unarchive files, provide preview of files before unarchiving them, and perform several other necessary functions. The interface of this archive manager is also quite simple and straightforward. Hence, anyone can use it. Here we have highlighted some of the other handy features of this Mac application.
Handy Features Of iPack
- The tool provides complete support for the archive files that are password protected. You can extract them using iPack quite easily.
- Another impactful feature of this software is its drag and drop functionality that makes it easier for everyone to use iPack for archiving and unarchiving files.
- You can even search for a particular file in an archive folder using this advanced software.
- It also comes with an integration with the Finder. Hence, you can archive or unarchive files in the Finder itself.
14. RAR Extractor Lite
In the end, we have the RAR Extractor Lite, which is an entirely free utility to archive & unarchive files on Mac. However, being a free tool, it does not offer many advanced features, but it does provide several useful functions. It supports the archive files that are password protected and helps you to extract them. Along with this, the RAR Extractor Lite also performs batch extraction, which makes one of the best archiver for Mac. Here we discuss the other salient features of this unrar tool for Mac.
Salient Features Of RAR Extractor Lite
- Despite being a free unzipper for Mac, the tool supports almost all the major archive formats, including RAR, 7-ZIP, ISO, ZIP, Gzip, Tar, EXE, DMS, etc.
- It only requires you to double click on the archive files to extract them.
- The interface is pretty simple. It offers a drag and drop feature, and hence anyone can use it to compress and decompress files on Mac.
- Unlike other freeware, RAR Extractor Lite doesn’t feature any advertisements. Hence, you can use it smoothly without any disturbing ad.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Best Zip Program for Mac
If you have some doubts related to the best unzip app for mac, then you can have a look at the frequently asked questions below for help.
Q1. What does the word archiver mean?
As it may be clear from the context, the archiver is used for any program that allows you to compress or archive files and folders. Such and best archiver for mac is generally used to save space on the system by compressing and reducing the size of the file. The archiver in no way affects the integrity and quality of the files and folder within.
Different archiver tools come with different features like encryption options, folder sharing, etc. If you are looking for one such tool, check the above list of best zip software for mac for ease.
Q2. What is the use of a file extractor?
As the name suggests, the main purpose of any file extractor is to extract the data from different compressed folders. The file extractor can be used to extract files from different archive formats like ZIP, RAR, 7Z, CAB, DEB, ISO, GZIP, etc. Above, we have listed the best zip file extractor for mac that offers the most useful features.
Q3. What is the best unarchiver for Mac?
It is tough to point out one app as the internet is loaded with numerous unzipper software for Mac. However, for your ease, we have listed some of the best archivers for mac above that can work as an unarchiver as well. These apps provide multiple options of compression and decompression to make the task easier for you.
Q4. Does The Unarchiver come with Mac?
Yes, every mac device has an integrated unarchiver that allows to archive and unarchive files. But this utility is not as reliable as the best unzipper mac listed above. The integrated tool has only a few features and is a lot slower as compared to these tools.
Q5. How do I unzip files on a Mac for free?
You can unzip files on your device for free with the help of the best unzip app for mac listed above. You can download these tools without paying anything and use them to extract files from Mac. You can also get the premium version of the tools if you want.
Q6. Is there a free alternative to WinZip?
Yes, there are a lot of free alternatives to WinZip. We have listed above some of the best zip programs for mac that can replace WinZip perfectly. You can download and use any of these tools to zip and unzip all the files and folders you want.
Q7. Why should I compress files on Mac?
Storage problems are quite common on Mac devices. Sooner or later every user faces these problems. If you want to save yourself from this, you should the Best Mac Apps To Unarchive/Archive Files.
Apart from this, you can also keep the files safe by encrypting them with the tools. Compression also helps in the easy transfer of files on different platforms.
Q8. What is the difference between ZIP and RAR?
Although both ZIP and RAR are archive formats, the major difference between both of them is that apart from lossless data compression, RAR also offers error recovery and wider file coverage
Final Words On The Best Archiver/Unarchiver For Mac
So, here were some of the best archiver/unarchiver for Mac. These tools can help you to store and share your files more conveniently by compressing them. They also help in extracting the received archives. Apart from this, some of the above tools also provide protection against unauthorized access to your files. There are multiple uses of these tools, and each one of them offers different features. Now, it is upon your preferences which one you consider as best for you. Hence, we suggest you to select accordingly.
Furthermore, if you liked the post and want to read more such posts, then subscribe to Innovana blogs.