A best retro mechanical keyboard is all you need for a nostalgic and feel-good typing & gaming experience. Today we have come up with a list of such keyboards. Read on to know more about the best retro mechanical & gaming keyboards available in 2021.
You can undoubtedly say old is gold while talking about the computer keyboards. A lot of PC users experience hardship using the modern keyboards. The reason is, modern & membrane keyboards are pretty slow, less reliable & durable, and quite hard to clean & repair as compared to the mechanical ones. Hence, PC users miss using the retro mechanical keyboard while typing and playing games on their computer.
Hearing the clicky sound while pressing keys on a mechanical gaming keyboard feels good. People also say that the raised keys of such keyboards help to type faster and enhances their productivity. Along with this, typing on mechanical keyboards also reduces the risk of carpal tunnel as compared to the modern keyboards. Hence, today we have brought a list of some best retro mechanical keyboards available in 2021. Let’s check it out without further delay.
Top 10 Best Retro Mechanical Keyboards In 2021
Below we have listed the top 10 retro mechanical keyboards that can efficiently replace the modern keyboard you are using for gaming and typing.
AZIO Retro Classic Bluetooth/USB Mechanical Keyboard
AZIO Corporation is one of the renowned manufacturers of computer keyboards and mouses. The company design and manufacture the finest mechanical keyboards, and AZIO Retro Classic Bluetooth/USB Mechanical Keyboard is one of them. It comes in multiple variants, including Artisan, Elwood, Onyx, and Posh. And as the name suggests, all of them have a classic and retro design. Below are the prominent features of this one of the best retro mechanical keyboard.
- The keyboard supports both Bluetooth and USB connectivity. Hence, you can use it as per your convenience.
- It has Kailh switches, which make it compatible for gaming and extremely fast typing tasks.
- You can even adjust the height of this mechanical gaming keyboard. It helps you to avoid the wrist strain while using the keyboard for long hours.
- The backlit mechanical keys make a clicky sound every time you press them.
- AZIO has built this keyboard with 6-Key rollover NKRO technology.
- It is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, & 10 PCs. You can also use it on Mac after performing a few setup steps.
Qwerkywriter S Typewriter Inspired Retro Mechanical Keyboard
Now, let’s talk about the keyboard that offers the classic feel in the true sense. It is so retro that it does not even look like a computer keyboard. Qwerkywriter S is a typewriter inspired retro mechanical keyboard. However, it may disappoint you if you are looking for a competent mechanical gaming keyboard. But, it is one of the best choices if you are looking for a suitable keyboard to write some amazing pieces of content. Along with the patented typewriter design, this award-winning keyboard also offers several other luring features that we are going to discuss below.
- It is compatible with Android and iOS as well, along with the Windows and Mac operating systems.
- You can connect this retro keyboard to various devices (wireless), including your mobile phone, PC/laptop, tablet, etc., coincidingly.
- The retro keyboard also comes with an integrated tablet stand. Hence, you can easily and conveniently connect and use it with your tablet.
- Along with a long-lasting lithium battery, users also get a feature to charge the keyboard while using it with the USB mode.
- It offers one of the best tactile performance with its German-engineered Famed Cherry MX switches.
CHERRY MX Board Silent Retro Keyboard
CHERRY MX Board Silent Keyboard is another notable retro mechanical gaming keyboard on this list. It is known for its patented noise-reducing feature. Unlike other mechanical keyboards, CHERRY MX Board Silent Keyboard emits quite less sound while pressing a key. It may lower the feel of using a retro keyboard, but it is a great choice for office use. It also misses on providing the media control keys. However, there are a plethora of features that make it one of the best retro mechanical keyboards available in 2021. Here we discuss them below.
- The input hardware offers quite long durability with more than 50 Million keystrokes per switch. Hence, the keyboard can endure even the unrelenting environment.
- The self-cleaning contacts ensures that there is only a minimal chance for dirt and dust accumulation.
- CHERRY MX Board Silent Keyboard has a patented noise reduction technology, which makes it compatible for office use.
- It has an N-Key rollover, which prevents key ghosting.
- The keyboard is compatible with Windows PC and Mac as well. However, to use it on your Mac, you have to connect it via USB.
Epomaker Ajazz AK510 RGB Retro Mechanical Keyboard
Here comes one of the best RGB mechanical gaming keyboards on this list. Ajazz AK510 offers quite futuristic features along with a nostalgic design. It is a great pick if you are looking for a keyboard matching your fast typing skills. The keyboard offers sassy SA keycaps, which enhances its overall look. Ajazz AK510 mechanical keyboard is quite bulky. Hence, some of the users may get concerned with its weight. Apart from it, the keyboard has a lot to offer to the retro lovers and gaming enthusiasts. Below are some of its commendable highlights.
- Along with fast typing, you can use this retro mechanical gaming keyboard for multiple purposes. It offers 104 keys to make things easier for you.
- The keys feel good to touch as the Ajazz AK510 keyboard has PBT covering with dual-color injection.
- You type as fast as you can on this mechanical keyboard without any problem. It comes with a full key rollover and offers 100% anti-ghosting.
- The RGB backlight is a visual treat to the eyes whenever you type or play games using this keyboard.
- Typing on Ajazz AK510 mechanical keyboard is quite comfortable. It allows you to adjust the height & find a perfect typing position for your hands.
Hyperkin Hyper Clack Tactile Mechanical Keyboard
Hyperkin Hyper Clack Tactile Mechanical Keyboard is one of the most affordable options on this list. If you want to relive the nostalgic feeling of SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System), then it is one of the best retro mechanical gaming keyboard for you. It has a color scheme and design quite similar to the SNES. You can connect it with your PC using the USB connectivity. However, the keyboard does not have many customizable options. Along with a nostalgic resemblance, Hyper Clack Tactile Mechanical Keyboard also offers a lot of other plausible features. Below we have discussed the most likable ones.
- The keyboard comes with a tailor-made Cherry MX-compatible keycaps, which makes typing quite smooth and faster.
- It has clicky-clacky Gaote Blue Outemu tactile switches to provide a feel-good click sound. Hence, it can be a great choice if you are looking for a keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches producing the clicky sounds.
- Hyperkin Hyper Clack Tactile Mechanical Keyboard comes with a 6 ft long plaited USB connectivity cable.
- The blue LED backlight is the cherry on the cake. It enhances the retro look of the keyboard and pleases your eyes while you type or play games using it.
- Along with the classic Nintendo like design & color scheme, the keyboard offers 104 keys using which you can perform multiple tasks.
Also Read: List of Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts
AZIO MK Retro Mechanical Keyboard
Here we have another AZIO keyboard on our list of best retro mechanical keyboards available in 2021. The MK Retro Mechanical Keyboard is the perfect combination of classic functionality & design with modernistic features. The style and look of the keyboard seems inspired by the vintage typewriters. Hence, it successfully delivers a classic retro feel to its users. The spring-based keys are one of the major highlights of this mechanical keyboard. Along with the design and ergonomic support, here are some other great features of the AZIO MK Retro Mechanical Keyboard.
- The most impressive thing about the MK Retro keyboard is its curated design. It comes with a chrome-plated body & keycaps along with tubular LED lights.
- The keyboard is water & dust resistant. The design of its key sockets is quite innovative and stops the dirt from entering & getting accumulated in the switches.
- It allows you to type as faster as you can. The n-key rollover technology makes it a 100% anti-ghosting keyboard.
- You can set the height & tilt-angle of the keyboard as per your preference. It helps you to have an appropriate wrist position and type comfortably for long hours.
- It is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, & 10. Hence, you can easily connect and use it on your Windows PC via USB connectivity. However, it does not offer any compatibility with Mac devices.
E-Element Z-88 Retro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
E-Element Z-88 Retro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is a rare combination of retro mechanical and gaming keyboards. It is a typewriter inspired backlit keyboard that enhances your gaming experience and also provides a classic feeling of using a typewriter. You do not have to compromise with your ambiance to see the keys. It offers a 10-color RGB backlight that helps you use the keyboard efficiently even in a dark room. These are not the only benefits of the E-Element Z-88 Retro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. Below we have listed various other features that this keyboard offers.
- Along with a nostalgic design, this retro mechanical gaming keyboard offers typewriter based round keycaps. It enhances the premium classic look of the keyboard.
- The gaming-friendly keyboard comes with an N-key rollover technology. Hence, you can type on it as fast as you can without the issue of ghosting.
- E-Element Z-88 Retro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard also comes with 5-additional switches for replacement.
- The keyboard is capable of surviving an unrelenting environment as it has a metal base. It is also waterproof and can easily survive the water splashes.
- You can even program the backlights of the keyboard without any additional driver. It comes with fully programable RGB backlights.
PENNA Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard
If typewriter inspired keyboards fascinate you, then here we have a gift for you. PENNA Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard can efficiently fulfill your craving for the retro classic typing experience. This retro mechanical keyboard also has a design of a typical vintage typewriter. And just like Qwerkywriter S, it even mimics a typewriter’s functionality as well. You also get an option to choose among Retro Chrome Keycaps & Diamond shape keycaps. However, you do not get the USB connectivity on this keyboard. PENNA Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard offers only wireless connectivity. Below are some other key features of this retro-style keyboard.
- You can record macros on this keyboard. It offers a macro bar to record and recall the frequently used keys, words, and sentences.
- For the ones who want a typing experience of a typewriter, PENNA Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard offers Retro Chrome Keycaps. And if you are looking for a comfortable & error-free typing experience, then you can choose the Diamond shape keycaps.
- Along with the keycaps, you can even choose among the Cherry MX Blue, Brown & Red key switches.
- It is compatible with multiple operating systems including, Windows, Android, Mac, & iOS. And it even allows you to switch among them. Along with this, you can connect this retro mechanical keyboard with five different devices concurrently.
- For the users who want to use it with their tablets and smartphones, the keyboard offers a Cradle Holder. It helps them to hold their device quite easily.
- Despite being a typewriter based keyboard, PENNA Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard is quite compact and weighs less than 800gm. Hence, you can easily carry it wherever you want.
E-YOOSO K600 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard 104 Key
Another retro mechanical typewriter inspired gaming keyboard on this list is E-YOOSO K600. Being a typewriter inspired keyboard, it has a floating key design. Unlike other such keyboards, you can use E-YOOSO K600 for hardcore gaming, which makes it one of the best mechanical gaming keyboards available in 2021. It offers only USB connectivity. Hence, you may get disappointed with it if you are looking for a Bluetooth keyboard. However, it does feature several unique functions. Here we have discussed them below.
- You do not get Cherry switches in this retro mechanical keyboard, but it offers Outemu Blue switches that are also quite durable (having a life span of 50 Million+ keystrokes) and produces great clicky sound.
- The keyboard has a preset 9-mode LED backlight that you can customize as per your preference. Along with this, the keycaps are also double-shot injection made, which provides a clear look of the backlight.
- E-YOOSO K600 supports hardcore gaming and fast typing. It comes with an N-key rollover ensuring 100% anti-ghosting and fast response during intense use.
- It is compatible with the latest Mac and Windows operating systems including, Mac OS X, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, & Windows Vista.
- The manufacturers have used top ABS while making it. And it has a matte-finish texture along with a gold plated USB connector, enhancing its durability.
LOFREE EH112S Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard
Last but not least, we have LOFREE’s EH112S Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard on our list of best retro mechanical keyboard. It is one of the most compact and lightweight mechanical keyboards currently available. The keyboard comes with a sleek retro design. It has a decent battery of 4000mAH with a charging duration of 5 hours. The keyboard only offers 79 keys. Hence, some of you may get disappointed with it. But, it is one of the best picks for you if you are looking for a compact keyboard. Now, let’s have a glimpse at the premium features of the EH112S Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard.
- There is an auto-sleep mode available to save power while there is no activity on the keyboard for a long period. It helps you in using the keyboard for a long time on a single charge.
- You can connect this mechanical keyboard with three different devices concurrently. Along with this, it also allows you to switch among them with FN + 1, 2, & 3 keys.
- The round keycaps look great with white LED backlighting. And you can even customize the backlight levels as the keyboard offers four different levels of backlight brightness.
- It supports extremely fast typing with the help of its full N-key rollover technology. Hence, you do not have to compromise with your productivity while using this retro mechanical keyboard.
- You can connect LOFREE’s EH112S Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard with your device via Bluetooth and USB cable. It offers both wireless and wired connectivity.
Conclusion: Which Is The Best Retro Mechanical Keyboard
So, this was the list of some great vintage mechanical keyboards available in 2021. Now, it’s time to decide which one is the best retro mechanical keyboard among them. Being an expert, we have a quite diplomatic answer for this. All the above-listed keyboards offer a unique set of benefits. Some of them are extremely good in offering the vintage feel & aesthetic, while some have quite advanced features. Hence, the answer to which is the best retro mechanical or gaming keyboard depends on the preferences of users.
If you are looking for an extremely classic feel, then Qwerkywriter S & Penna Wireless are one of the best picks. Or, if you require a great gaming experience with some advanced backlighting and other features, then E-Element Z-88 & E-YOOSO K600 can be a great option for you. We hope that you have found this descriptive list of some best retro keyboards helpful. If you want more such lists and write-ups, then subscribe to the Innovana blog.