Looking for some best running and fitness tracking apps and don’t know which one to go for? Here we have a solution to ease your situation. This article helps you select your desired running app from some of the best free running apps available in the market.
In today’s modern era your smartphone has replaced many things such as radio, your wristwatch, your contact diary, etc. If you are a fitness freak, you might be glad to know that your smartphone can also replace your fitness trainers. You might remember the days when you required a fitness trainer to keep a check on your fitness, stamina, and routine workout. Those days have gone now, as the app developers have created so many apps to not just track your activity but to guide you as well as monitor your daily fitness exercise such as running, jumping, etc.
Here we have listed some of the best running apps that can help you to keep a check on your daily workout and enhance your stamina. These are some of the best free running apps for your iPhones and Android phones.
Read More: 14 Best Zumba Apps to Shape up Your Body
13 Best Free Running Apps for iPhone and Android Devices in 2020
Below is the list of some best fitness tracking apps that we have hand-picked for you. So, have a look at them and start your training session with any of them you find best
1. Map My Run
Map My Run can be the most adequate app for you if you are confused about where to run. The app has its comprehensive tracker that can help you to choose your running track and keep a check on your running pace. This UnderArmour created app offers some unique and significant features to its users.
- The app provides stats such as distance covered, pace, calories burned, etc.
- It also provides audio feedback after the completion of your run.
- Map My Run allows you to sync the data with various wearable devices such as Apple Watch, Android Wear, Google Fit, etc.
- It helps you to keep a check on your running shoes as it tells when to replace the pair of shoes as per your running stats and shoes you wear while running.
- Map My Run is suitable for any type of workout.
- As the app has its community hence, it compares your stats with other users and helps you to stay motivated.
- It can be easily synced with My Fitness Pal app that helps you to keep a check on your exercise and diet altogether.
- Map My Run offers some more advanced features in its paid version.
- Map My Run can sometimes irritate you by showing too many ads.
2. Couch to 5K Trainer
This app provides a running/training program that can help you to get up from your couch and become a 5K runner. Couch to 5K Trainer (C25K) has its 8 weeks training program which can make you a 5K runner quite quickly.
- It offers short 30 minutes training programs that can help you to be in a 5K shape.
- C25K offers a virtual audio coach.
- This one of the best free running apps allows you to meet various other runners and stay motivated as it is integrated with communities on various social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- You can also sync it with My Fitness Pal.
- C25K allows you to listen to your favorite songs while training.
- The app remains quite accurate even when your phone/device is locked.
- C25K can be considered as one of the best running apps for beginners.
- You might not find it suitable enough if you are an expert as this app is designed for beginners.
If you are a pro then this app is for you. Strava is the best app for expert runners as it doesn’t focus on losing weight and burning calories, that other running apps for beginners do. It focuses on enhancing one’s performance.
- Strava records and tracks your running distance.
- You can select your own route for running, riding, swimming, etc.
- Strava is considered as best running app for fitness experts as it provides you with monthly challenges to motivate you to compete with other experts across the globe.
- Apart from running, riding and swimming it can also help you to track your activity while performing various other fitness activities such as yoga, surfing, gym workouts, etc.
- Strava makes your android phone, iPhone, or any wearable device a sophisticated tracker.
- This app helps you to enhance your performance by tracking and analyzing the minor details of your fitness activities.
- Strava allows you to have a look at the activities of your favorite athlete.
- Strava cannot be considered as the best free running app as it offers most of the advanced features in the paid version.
- The paid version of the app is quite expensive.
- If you are a beginner we consider you to skip this app until you become an expert.
4. Garmin Connect
This app is only for the users of Garmin running watches. If you own a Garmin running watch then it is the best run tracking app that you’ll ever come across with. Here are some features, pros, and cons of the app it offers.
- You just need to connect your Garmin wearable device with this free running app for android and iPhone, then after that, it offers you some exceptional features.
- Garmin Connect app allows you to download the previous tracking data that can help you to analyze your own performance.
- It allows you to compete with yourself, as you can set goals as per your previous performance.
- It allows you to set your own training plan.
- The app is highly customizable as you can set your own training routine.
- Garmin Connect helps you to analyze your performance data in a better way as you can download your previous reports.
- It can be synced with other fitness and running apps for android and iPhones such as My Fitness Pal & Strava.
- Garmin Connect app is only for those who own a Garmin wearable fitness devices.
- It can decrease the battery life of your phone drastically.
5. Nike Run Club
Here comes another famous brand from the health and fitness industry. Nike Run Club is one of the best free running apps. It is totally free and offers some great features.
- Nike Run Club is a completely free app.
- The app provides some personalized training modules for each individual.
- It is also highly compatible with Apple watches and hence it can be considered as the best running app for Apple watch.
- You can even listen to music while training yourself.
- The app provides audio coaching from different experts.
- Even when you skip any session the app automatically customizes your future training program.
- Nike Run Club allows you to get connected with your friends and also allows to compete with them.
- The GPS tracking system needs some improvement as sometimes it does not show the accurate pace and mileage.
Alltrails is an app that helps you to have fun and adventure while you are on your run, hike, or ride. It shows trail maps and you can select any one of them as per your preferences such as child-friendly trails, dog-friendly trails, etc.
- The app allows you to download the maps you want to run, ride, or hike on.
- AllTrails offers you to share your activities over various social media platforms.
- It enables you to select the trail of your choice.
- AllTrails also offers a safety feature through which your contacts can track your run or ride.
- Apart from being just a running app for android phones or iPhones, it offers features of being an adventure app.
- We do not suggest AllTrails if you are looking for a running app to be a running/fitness expert.
- It is better to be considered as exploration app.
Here is another best running app on this list. Along with analyzing performance, keeping a record, and providing personalized training plans, Runkeeper provides various other features also.
- Runkeeper provides personalized and customizable training plans as per your busy schedule and capacity.
- It offers various challenges to keep you motivated and moving forward.
- You can set your own goals as per your requirements.
- Runkeeper is not just a running distance tracker app as it tracks almost all kinds of fitness activities.
- It provides audio updates while you are training, so there is no need to check your phone again and again.
- Runkeeper has training modules from various fitness experts.
- The app provides an accurate real-time report of your workout.
- The paid version of Runkeeper is quite costly as compared to other running apps available for android phones and iPhones.
- Also, it constantly pokes you to upgrade your free plan to the paid one.
8. Running Distance Tracker Pro
Running Distance Tracker Pro also known as Running Distance Tracker + for android is the most accurate tracking app currently available. Despite its accuracy, it offers various other benefits as well.
- Running Distance Tracker Pro comes with a quite simple user interface.
- The app accurately tracks your distance covered, pace, calories burned, etc.
- This can be considered as the best running app for iPhone as it is integrated with Apple Health.
- The app provides customizable audio feedback which may help you to keep moving forward.
- Running Distance Tracker Pro provides you access to your music player and hence you can listen to your favorite music while running.
- The app keeps a record of your past performance and also shows your improvement rate.
- It is quite cheaper than the other names on the list.
- Running Distance Tracker Pro does not offer many features as compared to other substitutes.
Human isn’t you regular running distance tracker app, as it doesn’t count your steps. it tracks your minutes of activity such as running, walking and riding. It allows you to compare your results with other people in your neighborhood.
- Human does not count your steps while you are running or doing any other physical activity. It counts your minute of activeness.
- It keeps on notifying you to complete at least 30 minutes of daily physical activity.
- You don’t need to follow a daily routine for running or physical activity, it tracks your daily activity and shows you the number of minutes you were active.
- Human keeps you motivated by comparing your performance data with other people in your neighborhood.
- This free running app is compatible with Google Fit.
- Human is not the best running app if you are preparing yourself for a 5K run or a marathon.
- It keeps on working in the background and hence, impacts the battery life of your phone drastically.
Read More: Alternatives to Boomerang Video App
Pacer is basically a step-tracking app that also offers some additional features such as it tracks your calories burned, provides fitness plan videos, etc. Here are some salient features of the app.
- Pacer offers a BMI calculator and a counter to track and calculate your calories burned.
- You can sync this free running app with My Fitness Pal and Fitbit.
- Pacer doesn’t need any other device to be connected to track your steps, you just need to carry your phone while running, walking and cycling.
- The app provides some amazing features for free and the premium version of the app is also quite cheap.
- Pacer also offers fitness videos if you are planning for a specific health goal.
- No additional tracking device is needed to track your fitness activities.
- You are always required to carry your phone while running, walking, or cycling.
- Pacer does not function properly in some phones and in that case, it does not track your steps while your phone is locked.
Runcoach is a highly customizable training app. It provides an amazing algorithm along with the coaching from various experts. Here are some impeccable features of the app due to which it can be considered as one of the best running apps.
- It allows you to design your own workout plan.
- Runcoach asks you for your fitness information and your goal, then the app’s algorithm provides the best plan and workout guidance
- You can sync it with many major fitness tracking apps such as Strava, Runkeeper, etc.
- Runcoach is highly customizable you can adjust your workout plan as per your schedule even if you have missed some training sessions.
- Runcoach enables you to stay in touch with USATF certified coaches.
- The app provides you with a 14-day gold membership for free, after that you can stick to your basic free plan if you want.
- Runcoach is also a battery-draining app.
iSmoothRun is only available for iPhones and it can be considered as one the best running apps for iPhones. It possesses some great features.
- This app is specifically designed for iOS.
- Along with running, walking, and cycling it can track various other fitness activities.
- iSmoothRun provides you a lot of information such as your steps, distance covered, weather, and even the name of the street on which you are running.
- It also tells you the mileage of your shoes and when to replace them.
- iSmoothRun does not have your data locked, it allows you to export it to various other running and fitness tracking apps.
- It allows you to track your interval workouts.
- It is only available for iOS, Android users cannot use it.
Zwift is the perfect blend of a video game and a distance tracking app. As it allows you to take your personal workout to the virtual world and compete with various other real virtual competitors. Here are some features of Zwift.
- Zwift is the perfect match for video games loving people who want to stay fit.
- The app allows you to virtually experience different new places.
- It makes fitness training fun.
- Zwift not only provides you an amazing cycling virtual experience but also tracks your performance data and analyze it.
- The app requires various other supportive devices such as foot pod, treadmill, etc.
As we have discussed plenty of best running apps for android and iOS devices, we hope that now you know the different features, pros, and cons that all of them offer. Hence, now you can select the best for you as per your preference or requirements, whether you are a beginner or an expert. We hope that our write-up helped you to get your ultimate online and digital fitness trainer and tracker.