If you are looking for an application that can turn your phone into a walkie talkie and connect you with people who are away from you in a creative and fun way, you have landed just on the right page. These applications are highly compatible with both Android and iPhone devices. Let’s dive deep into the segment and check out the Best WalkieTalkie Apps for Android and iOS.
There was a time when long-range walkie talkies were quite famous. At that time, there were no cell phones or very few cell phones. But as telecommunication technology has evolved, the usage of walkie talkies have declined. Now, only a few professionals use walkie talkies such as construction workers, security personnel, etc. Despite having such advanced telecommunication technology, we can still get stuck with no network situation. In that scenario, we can use some of the best walkie talkie apps to communicate with each other. Yes, you read it right, we can enjoy the experience of using walkie talkies on our smartphones itself.
You can convert your Android or iOS smartphones into one of the best long-range walkie talkie with the help of these walkie talkie apps. In this write-up, we have mentioned some of the best walkie talkie apps for Android and iOS smartphones that can help you to communicate in a no-network situation.
Why do you need a Walkie Talkie app?
It might seem unnecessary to use a Walkie Talkie app on your phone but there are some valid reasons why you should consider using it. For example, in an emergency situation, it is really essential for your security to act quicker. In that case, you might need a Walkie Talkie as it is the best source to share cautious and instant messages. Not only this but you can choose to use it while you are driving or walking as it allows voice-activated messages and hands-free use.
11 Best Walkie Talkie Apps for Android and iOS in 2021
Here we are going to discuss some of the best walkie talkie apps that you can install on your Android and iOS smartphones. Below mentioned is a list of apps that can make your smartphone the best walkie talkie for long-distance.
1. Zello PTT Walkie Talkie – The best iOS Walkie Talkie app
Zello PTT Walkie Talkie which was formerly known as “LoudTalks” is one of the highly preferred walkie talkie apps. The app has its insane craze and has been downloaded on the Google Play Store more than 50 Million times. A large number of people consider it as one of the best walkie talkie apps because of the features that it offers to its users.
Features of Zello PTT Walkie Talkie
- It supports the Push-To-Talk protocol.
- The app provides public and private channels for up to 6000 users.
- You can also set your current status on this app if you are busy or available to take calls.
- It also provides voice history, i.e., call history to its users.
- Zello PTT Walkie Talkie also allows you to send photos, texts, and locations to other people.
- It works on wearable devices as well, unlike many other walkie talkie apps that do work on Apple Watch, Android Wear, or any other wearable device. So, if you have an Apple Watch, then it can be the best walkie talkie app for your Apple Watch.
- Zello PTT Walkie Talkie is a cross-platform best walkie talkie for long-distance. It is compatible with Android, iOS, and Windows as well.
- It doesn’t show any ads.
- The app is not free and asks for in-app purchases.
How to use Zello Walkie Talkie?
Take a quick look at the steps mentioned below if you wish to know how the app works.
- Download and install the app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Now tap and hold on to the screen once it starts.
- Go on the contact page and tap on the person’s name who you want to reach.
- Hold the microphone option and send a voice message.
Pressing that button will activate the Zello Walkie Talkie. So once you release the hold the person on the other side will get the message.
2. Two Way: Walkie Talkie – For iPhone and Android devices
The second name on our list is Two Way: Walkie Talkie. It is one of the best walkie talkie apps for iPhone. The app can convert your smartphone into a traditional walkie talkie device. It can be considered as one of the best long-range walkie talkies. Two Way: Walkie Talkie offers various dynamic features. Here are some of them, along with the pros and cons.
Features of Two Way: Walkie Talkie
- Two Way: Walkie Talkie is completely free and allows you to access all features without any charge.
- This best walkie talkie application offers quite an intuitive user interface.
- It is compact and hence uses very few of your device resources.
- The app is compatible with multiple platforms, which makes it a cross-platform walkie talkie app.
- You are not required to sign up for the app to use it.
- The app doesn’t ask for any of your personal information
- It offers you to choose a channel number and location to talk with anyone on that particular channel or at that particular location.
- Two Way: Walkie Talkie has public channels only; hence anyone can hear your conversation if they know the channel number and location. It doesn’t provide privacy to your conversations.
How to use Two Way: Walkie talkie?
These steps mentioned below will help you to get along with the application.
- Download the application on your iPhone or Android device.
- Open it and dial a random channel.
- Make sure the person on the other side dials the same channel.
- Now start talking.
Also Read: Best Free Movie Apps For Android and iOS
3. Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger – Popular Walkie Talkie App
Here comes a strong walkie talkie messaging app. Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger is one of the best apps for live voice and text messaging. It’s quite similar to other messaging apps such as WhatsApp, Messenger, etc. as it also shows whether your message has been heard or not. Here is the detailed analysis of Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger.
Features of Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger
- The app enables you to share text messages, voice messages, images, videos, locations, etc. like any other messaging app.
- It is completely free.
- Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger also enables the users to create a group of 500 people.
- This Walkie Talkie app for Android and iOS smartphones allows you to communicate with other people instantly with a live voice. As the app supports Push-To-Talk (PTT) protocol.
- The app allows you to store the messages so that you can listen to them when you are not busy.
- The privacy of Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger is also quite appreciable as it provides end-to-end encryption to your messages.
- The major drawback of Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger is that you can not use this walkie talkie app without the internet.
How to use Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger?
Follow the instructions to use the Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger on your devices:
- Download the Voxer Walkie Talkie messenger.
- Open the app and click on Walkie Talkie Mode.
- Click on the person’s chat you want to send the voice message to.
- Hold the microphone button and send the message.
4. HeyTell – Turns your Phone into a Walkie Talkie
HeyTell is another cross-platform voice messaging app. Its features are quite similar to a walkie talkie, that’s why we have included it in our list of some best walkie talkie apps. You’ll find it one of the most simple and easy-to-use apps when you use it. Let’s have a look at the features, pros, and cons of HeyTell.
Features of HeyTell
- It offers quite a simple user interface and allows you to communicate with other users with just a single button.
- HeyTell is quite compact and hence does not use many resources of your device.
- This walkie talkie app for Android and iOS smartphones works on any kind of internet connection.
- The app is compatible with any internet connection and any platform including, Android, iOS, and Windows.
- It also enables you to block unwanted people.
- Along with the above features, it also provides privacy to the users as no stranger can connect with you without your acceptance.
- Like most other similar apps, this walkie talkie app also cannot work without the internet.
How to use HeyTell?
To use the HeyTell Walkie Talkie, follow the steps below:
- Download the HeyTell application and follow the further signing up process.
- Click on the ‘+’ button given in the top right corner.
- Now enter the email address or the phone number of the person you want to connect with.
- Send them the invitation. And start talking once they accept it.
5. TiKL – ‘Touch To Talk’ Walkie Talkie Phone App
TiKL Touch Talk Walkie Talkie is another recommended app for people who do not like texting. It is one of those walkie talkie apps for Android and iOS smartphones that do not require much setup to use. It is quite famous on Google Play Store with 10 Million+ downloads
Features of TiKL
- The app is quite easy to use.
- TiKL does not ask its users to sign up, you just have to open the app and after that, you can send voice messages to your saved contacts or people added over Facebook.
- The app allows one-on-on and group Push-To-Talk (PTT) calls.
- It operates on an internet connection.
- TiKL sends notifications for the delivered messages.
- It is also compatible with older versions of iOS and Android.
- This walkie talkie app doesn’t work without an internet connection.
- TiKL is quite old and does not get any new updates.
How to use TiKL?
Take a look at the steps below to know how to get along with the TiKL app.
- Download the application on your Android device.
- Open the app and refresh your contacts and see who all are using the app as well.
- Hit the contact and start talking.
6. Dingtone – WiFi Calling & Text App
Dingtone is not just a usual walkie talkie app, it is much more than that. It lets you send voice messages and acts like a two-way radio. Along with being one of the best walkie talkie apps, Dingtone enables the users to make free calls and do free messages with an actual phone number.
Features of Dington
- It allows you to do free calls and messages.
- Dingtone also enables you to communicate with an individual or a group.
- The audio quality that it offers is exceptional.
- It is free to download but requires in-app purchases to unlock its full functionality.
- Dingtone is ad-free.
- The app also works without the internet.
- It provides you real phone numbers to make cheap or free international calls.
- The free version misses many advanced features.
- Limited support in the free version.
How to use The Dingtone app?
Follow the steps below to use the Dingtone application:
- Download the application on your iPhone and Android device.
- Open it and dial the contact number of the person you want to connect with.
- Start chatting and enable the Walkie Talkie option.
- Now Push to talk.
7. Walkie-talkie – COMMUNICATION (Walkie Talkie App)
If you literally want the experience of using walkie talkie devices, then we would recommend you to use Walkie-talkie – COMMUNICATION. This app creates the exact experience of using walkie talkies. Walkie-talkie – COMMUNICATION allows you to communicate with other people easily and quickly, just like a walkie talkie.
Features of Walkie-Talkie
- The application is completely free.
- It is highly compatible with any device and can convert any device whether Android or Apple into a walkie talkie.
- It is a far better walkie talkie app than most of the two-way radio apps.
- Walkie-talkie – COMMUNICATION doesn’t ask you to set up an account to communicate with others. You just need to open the app and set the desired radio frequency.
- It also supports private channels.
- Some users claim that the app crashes a few times.
How to use the Walkie Talkie application?
These steps mentioned below will walk you through the application.
- Download the application from PlayStore or AppleApps.
- Open it and ask your friends to join the same radio frequency as you.
- Push to talk with your friends.
8. Walkie Talkie ODT Audio (Walkie Talkie app for iPhone & Android)
The app was primarily designed for the Outdoor Tech’s devices such as Outdoor Tech’s Chips 2.0 snow helmet speakers. But the app also works as a Walkie Talkie app. You are required to set up an account to access the features of this walkie talkie app for Android and iOS devices. Here are the features of Walkie Talkie ODT Audio.
Features of Walkie Talkie ODT Audio
- The app supports PTT protocol.
- You can create private groups on Walkie Talkie ODT Audio.
- It also works in the background.
- The app also works even if your phone is locked.
- You are not even required to touch your phone while having communication with other people on Walkie Talkie ODT Audio.
- It is suggested that you must first test this app before using it as it doesn’t have enough positive reviews.
How to use Walkie Talkie ODT Audio?
Follow the steps to use the Walkie Talkie ODT Audio application.
- Download the application on your device.
- Open it and sign in.
- Now form a group by clicking on the icon and send invitations to your friends.
- Wait for them to conform and start talking.
9. FireChat – Connect Walkie Talkie without Cell Service
Here comes another advanced walkie talkie app. If you are lazy enough to call other people then FireChat is for you. You can leave a voice message through FireChat. You can build your own community by connecting with other people over FireChat. Here are some of the features of this dynamic and one of the best walkie talkie apps for Android and iOS smartphones.
Features of FireChat
- It can automatically connect you with other people by using the wifi and BlueTooth of your smartphones.
- You can share different files, photos, and many other things with each other.
- The app enables you to create your own particular community.
- It has public and private connections both.
- This walkie talkie works even without an internet connection.
- The app is quite compact and uses few resources of your smartphone.
- It allows you to choose your username.
- There is a chance that you might come across some undesired content in public chat. So you need to be careful about that.
How to use the FireChatApp?
Follow the instruction below:
- Download the app on your iPhone device.
- Open the app and Sign in.
- Look for the chatroom you want to join.
- Join a chatroom and start talking.
10. MODULO Walkie-Talkie PTT – Free Walkie Talkie App
MODULO Walkie-Talkie PTT claims to be an app that can convert your smartphone into a traditional walkie talkie device. You can use this one of the best walkie talkie apps while working on the field. This is most often used for communication among the team members working on the field. Here are some of the unique features of the app, along with its pros and cons.
Features of MODULO Walkie-Talkie PTT
- You can create your own team on MODULO Walkie-Talkie PTT and organize it accordingly with proper communication.
- Users are required to set up an account to access this app.
- It works on any type of network.
- MODULO Walkie-Talkie PTT allows you to chat in real-time or leave a voice/text message for the offline one, hence it makes your smartphone the best walkie talkie for modern time.
- It completely converts your smartphone into a field walkie talkie, so you don’t need to unlock your smartphone or open the app to communicate with others.
- You can listen to multiple channels simultaneously.
- The free version of the app allows you to make a team of 10 people only, for more than 10 people, you need to upgrade to the pro version.
How to use MODULO Walkie Talkie?
Follow the steps to use the MODULO Walkie Talkie:
- Download the application and sign in using your email address.
- Select the channel you want to be a part of.
- Join and start talking.
11. Intercom – Turn your Phone into a Walkie Talkie for free
We would like to end our list with one of the most basic and exact walkie talkie apps, i.e., Intercom. This one of the best walkie talkie apps for Android devices do not have many features. It only possesses the features of an ideal walkie talkie device. Let’s discuss some of the features, pros, and cons of Intercom.
Features of Intercom
- The app is quite compact.
- It is even compatible with devices having low configurations.
- Intercom has a voice detection feature that eliminates the background noise.
- It also allows you to listen to your old messages.
- You do not require an internet connection to use it. Intercom works on wifi connection of devices.
- The app is quite simple to use.
- It cannot be considered as one of the best long-range walkie talkie apps, as the maximum range of Intercom is up to 100 meters.
How to use Intercom?
The following steps will walk you through the application with ease:
- Download and install the Intercom application.
- Once you do so, open the app and click on ‘New’ or ‘New Mobile Push’ given in the top right corner.
- Now choose Mobile Push as your channel.
- Next, click on the “Mobile Push” tab.
- Create a message from scratch.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Best Walkie Talkie Apps for Android and iOS
Q1. Which Walkie Talkie app is the best?
Some of the best Walkie Talkie apps are mentioned below:
- Two Way
- Voxer Walkie Talkie Messenger
- Zello PTT Walkie Talkie
Q2. Do walkie talkie apps work?
Yes, they do work like real devices. You are able to listen to every activity on your joined channel. Just push the speak button when you want to speak.
Q3. Is there an app to turn your phone into a walkie talkie?
Yes, there are so many walkie talkie apps you can use to turn your phone into a Walkie Talkie. One of the popular applications, HeyTell is a reliable application that turns your phone into a Walkie Talkie.
Q4. Do walkie talkie apps work without cell service?
Yes, Walkie Talkie apps can work without the cell service. Use the FireChat WAlkie Talkie app that lets you talk to your friends without an internet connection or signal.
So, these were some of the best walkie talkie apps in 2020 that can make your smartphone a walkie talkie device. It is essential to have a walkie talkie if you are a professional who works on-field with a team. But, as walkie talkies have become old-fashioned, you can use these apps.
We hope that the above write-up helped you to evaluate some walkie talkie apps. If you want more such information, subscribe to Innovana blogs and bookmark them for regular updates.