If you are a gaming programmer, someone associated with video rendering, or such other multimedia tasks, then you need DirectX, i.e., software from Microsoft having a collection of application program interfaces, commonly called APIs. It helps you make stunning games that can work on almost any computer without glitches. DirectX comes pre-downloaded in Windows 10. However, if for some reason you need the latest version of this software, read this article to learn how to download DirectX on Windows 10.
You cannot download a standalone version of DirectX12 because it is not available. You can only update it to the latest version by updating your operating system. And in the case of versions below DirectX11.2, you have two options. Either you can download a completely new version via DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer or get the missing files downloaded through Windows update. We discuss all these options below.
How to Download DirectX on Windows 10
Below is the Best Method to get the latest version of DirectX downloaded for free on your Windows 10 PC.
Method #1: Update your operating system to the latest version:
As said earlier, DirectX comes already downloaded on Windows 10 computers. The only thing you can do is update it to the latest version by updating your operating system. Below is the step-by-step process to do it.
- Use the Windows+I keyboard shortcut to call up Settings.
- Choose Update & Security from the Settings panel.
- Select Windows Update from the left panel on the screen.
- Click on the tab to check for updates.
- Download the update that Windows suggests for your operating system and install the same.
- Finally, reboot your computer.
Read More: How To Update DirectX In Windows 10
Method #2: Use the runtime web installer to download DirectX:
You can download DirectX10 for PC or any other version below DirectX11.2 using the End-User Runtime Web Installer. Below are the steps you need to follow to do it.
- Follow this link to navigate to the Microsoft website.
- Choose your language and select the Download option to download the setup file of DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
- Click on the setup you have downloaded in step no.2 above.
- Click on the Yes option to let the application make necessary changes to your PC.
- Click on I accept the agreement and proceed further by clicking the Next.
- Install the free Bing Bar if you want it, or click Next.
- Now, click on Next to get the DirectX Runtime Optional Components installed.
- Let the installation complete.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your PC.
Above, we learned the ways to download DirectX for free on Windows 10. If you have any questions, then you can find their answers in the below section.
Frequently asked questions: DirectX Download Windows 10 [Complete Guide]
Q1. How do I install DirectX on Windows 10?
There is no standalone installation available for versions above DirectX11.1. Therefore, you can only install updates for them through Windows update. However, for versions below DirectX11.2, you can use the End-User Runtime Web Installer. The process to do it is explained above in the methods section.
Q2. Is DirectX free to download and install?
DirectX is a completely free software for Windows. However, you must download it from the official website of Microsoft to avoid malware and other threats.
Q3. How do I get DirectX12 for Windows 10?
As said earlier, DirectX12 is not downloadable directly. It comes preinstalled on Windows 10 computers. A user can only download its updates and missing files by updating the OS. You can refer to the above section to do it.
Q4. How do I find DirectX on Windows 10?
To find which version of DirectX is present on your Windows 10 computer, follow these steps.
- Input DxDiag in the search box and press Enter.
- Select DxDiag from the options that come up.
- Grant the needed permissions.
- Navigate to the System Information segment and have a look at the DirectX version.
DirectX Downloaded on Windows 10
This article elucidated how to download DirectX on Windows 10 depending upon the software version you wish to have. Now, with the help of DirectX, you can perform almost all multimedia-related tasks with ease and avoid annoying graphics/hardware issues. For more how-to guides like this one, keep visiting our blog.