Don’t let anyone track your computing habits, not even Microsoft. Disable Telemetry and Data Collection and keep your secrecy intact.
Privacy is one thing that none of the computer users can compromise on. But, the recently introduced telemetry feature in Windows 10 invades your privacy a bit. It lets Microsoft know what activities you are performing on the device. Like you, many others also search for how to disable telemetry and data collection in Windows 10 to keep their secrecy intact.
Through this post, we discuss the ways to disable and fix Microsoft compatibility telemetry high disk usages. But, before moving on to them, it is on point to talk about what Microsoft does with your data and why it collects the same in the first place. Here’s what happens to the collected data.
- It is used to update Windows.
- Using the collected data, Microsoft enhances the security and reliability of Windows.
- The data is used to personalize Windows.
Above were some of the reasons for which Microsoft collects your data. But, no reason can be enough to give it access to your secret information. Therefore, in the next segment, we talk about how you can disable the telemetry and data collection feature in Windows 10.
Here’s How to Disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10
Below are the quick and easy methods to disable and fix Microsoft compatibility telemetry high disk usage.
Method 1: Change the diagnostic and usage data settings
Changing the diagnostic and usage data to basic can help you partially disable telemetry in Windows 10. Below are the steps to do it.
- Press the Windows logo and I key simultaneously to open Settings.
- Once the Settings screen comes up, choose Privacy.
- After the Privacy windows appear, choose Feedback & diagnostics from the left pane.
- Change the diagnostic and usage data to Basic.
The above were the steps of how to disable telemetry and data collection in Windows 10 by changing the feedback and diagnostic settings. However, it only limits data collection and not completely stop it.
Method 2: Use the Registry Editor to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk Usages
With the below steps you can completely disable telemetry and data collection feature in Windows 10.
- Press the Windows logo and R key simultaneously to open the Run box.
- In the Run box, type regedit and click on OK.
- After the Registry Editor opens, use the sideboard to move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection.
- Right-click the empty space in the right pane.
- Click on DWORD value (32-bit) and give it the name AllowTelemetry.
- Double click AllowTelemetry.
- Set its value data to 0.
- Lastly, click on OK.
Read Also: Windows 10 Search Not Working – Solved
Method 3: Turn off the “Connected User Experience and Telemetry Service”
After you disable the telemetry feature through Registry Editor, you need to turn the Connected User Experience and Telemetry Service off. Doing this completely fixes Microsoft compatibility telemetry high disk usage. Here is how to do it.
- Launch the Run box, type msc and click OK to open Services.
- After the Service window appears, locate and double click Connected User Experiences and Telemetry.
- Set the Startup Type to Disabled.
- Locate and double click on dmwappushsvc.
- Disable the dmwappushsvc service.
In this post, we talked about how to disable telemetry and data collection in Windows 10. You can use the above methods to maintain your secrecy and prevent Microsoft as well as others from taking a sneak peek into your computing habits. Lastly, before leaving, do not forget to subscribe to Innovana Blog for more such simple solutions to tech problems.