Do you want error-free performance from your HID keyboard device? Then, learn the methods to download, install, update, and reinstall its drivers through this post.
Human Interface Devices or HID keyboards are no longer new. Many people connect them via a USB cable to the computer to input commands effortlessly, much like the normal PS/2 keyboard of a notebook PC. They are often referred to as Microsoft HID keyboards because the term HID is believed to be coined by Microsoft, which is not true. It is the use of USB that gave them this name. This keyboard is among the most convenient ways to input data on a PC. However, it may run into issues if you do forget to download the HID keyboard device driver.
Now, the question arises, whether downloading and installing the HID keyboard device drivers is enough to ensure its smooth performance. Well, not really. To make the keyboard perform the way you expect at all times, you need to update its drivers whenever a new version is released or you experience any glitch.
If you already have the drivers in place, still the HID keyboard is not working properly, then the driver installed on your computer may not be the compatible one. In such a case, you need to uninstall and install it again.
Don’t worry it is pretty simple to download, install, update, and reinstall drivers. We are going to discuss the best methods to do it in the next section.
Methods to Download HID Keyboard Device Driver, Install, Update, & Reinstall it
For your understanding, we have separated this section into two heads. The first one discusses how to download the driver for the HID keyboard device, install, and reinstall it. And the second one talks about updating the driver.
Part I: Download, Install, and Reinstall the Driver
Below are the ways to get the HID keyboard device driver downloaded, installed, and reinstalled.
Download the Driver from the Website of the manufacturer
The manufacturer’s website is among the safest places to download and install the HID keyboard device drivers if you know how to identify the compatible drivers. The general process of downloading and installing the drivers remains the same for all manufacturers. Below we take a look at it.
- Navigate to the website of the manufacturer of your HID keyboard device.
- Go to the Support section and choose Downloads.
- Search for your keyboard.
- Choose your operating system if it is not already detected.
- Download the installation file of the most recently released HID keyboard device driver.
- Double-click on the downloaded file and then install the driver.
Download and install the HID keyboard device driver through Device Manager
The Device Manager in Windows helps you download, install, update, and reinstall the drivers, including those for the HID keyboard device. Below is how to use it for downloading and installing the driver you need.
- Make the Quick Access menu accessible using the Windows+X command.
- Select Device Manager from the menu on your screen.
- Now, click on the segment named Keyboards to view your HID keyboard device.
- Right-click your HID keyboard device and pick the option to Update driver.
- Select the option that lets your computer Search automatically for updated driver software.
- After Windows downloads the HID keyboard device driver and installs it, let the PC restart.
Reinstall the HID keyboard device driver using Device Manager
Reinstalling the driver becomes essential when the HID keyboard is not available or has stopped working. You can reinstall the driver effectively and effortlessly using Device Manager. Below we acquaint you with the steps to do it.
- Make the Device Manager active.
- Select the Keyboards category.
- Right-click the HID keyboard and select Uninstall device.
- Mark the option to delete the driver software for this device.
- Choose OK/Uninstall.
- After completing the uninstallation, reboot the computer to install the driver again.
Know More: How to Update Outdated Drivers on Windows
Part II: Update the HID Keyboard Device Drivers
Above, we have seen how to download the Microsoft HID keyboard device driver. Now, let’s understand the methods to update it.
Use Windows Update to get the Updated Drivers
You can carry out the update of your operating system to get the updated HID keyboard device driver downloaded and installed. Here are the directions to do it.
- Launch the Quick Access menu (Windows+X).
- Select Settings from the open menu.
- Pick the Update & Security tool.
- Now, click on the tab available to Check for updates.
- Download the update and install it.
- Finally, allow your computer to boot again.
Update HID Keyboard Device Driver Automatically (Recommended)
Instead of downloading, installing, and updating the driver manually, we recommend you perform this activity automatically. There are a plethora of driver updaters available in the market to help you complete this task with just a click. Talking about our favorite program, it is Bit Driver Updater.
Along with one-click driver download, installation, and update, Bit Driver Updater offers the option to download drivers faster, form and restore driver backups, and several other features. You can know all about this program through its comprehensive review.
Now, let’s discuss the quick series of steps to download the latest HID keyboard device driver with Bit Driver Updater.
- Click on the download link shared here and then get Bit Driver Updater’s installer downloaded.
- Click on the downloaded installation file and install the software.
- Give the software a couple of seconds to complete the computer scan.
- After the scan, locate the HID keyboard device in the results and click on Update Now to get its updated version.
You also have the option to Update All the drivers for improved computer performance.
After learning how to download the HID keyboard device driver, install, update, and reinstall it, let’s go through some frequently asked questions about them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are HID keyboard devices
HID keyboard devices are those keypads that use a USB to interact with the computer to carry out input and output operations.
Q2. How are HID keyboard devices different from standard PS/2 keyboards
Both these keyboards do not have much difference. The only thing that differentiates the two is that HID keyboards use a USB port to connect to the PC, whereas PS/2 keyboards establish the connection using a PS/2 port.
Q3. How do I enable HID on my keyboard
You can follow these steps to enable the HID keyboard.
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand the Keyboards section.
- Right-click the HID keyboard and choose Enable.
Q4. How do I download updated HID keyboard drivers
In this article, we shared multiple ways to get the updated HID keyboard drivers downloaded. You can use any of them. However, the method that we recommend is downloading the updated drivers automatically with Bit Driver Updater.
HID Keyboard Device Driver Downloaded Successfully
Through this article, we learned various ways to get the HID keyboard device driver downloaded, installed, updated, and reinstalled. You can use any method you feel comfortable with. However, the most recommended one is completing the task using Bit Driver Updater. This software gets you all compatible, authentic, and latest drivers automatically in a single click. If you know any better way to do it, then enlighten us using the comments section.