Download MTP driver for Windows 10, 8, or 7 to transfer media files from external storage devices to your PC or vice versa. The guide also describes how to update the MTP USB driver if it is outdated. Read on to know more.
Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) helps you transfer multimedia files from an external storage to Windows PC or vice versa. To ensure its smooth functioning, you require the correct MTP driver. Or else, you may face issues such as ‘MTP USB device or driver failed.’ It makes you unable to transfer files between your PC and an external storage device like your smartphone. Hence, it is necessary to download the MTP driver for Windows 10, 8, or 7 and install it.
However, you have to regularly update the MTP USB driver if you already have it. But not everyone knows how to get the latest version of the MTP device driver for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, or 7. Do not worry. Here we are again to help you get rid of another technical system driver issue. Let’s check out how to download, install, & update the driver for an MTP USB device on Windows 10 and other Windows versions (64/32 Bit).
Ways To Download & Update MTP USB Driver On Windows 10, 8, & 7
Here is how you can download the latest MTP USB device driver on your Windows 10, 8, or 7 PC and update it.
Download Latest MTP Driver Using Windows Device Manager
It is one of the most prominent manual way of downloading drivers on Windows PCs. The OS provides a default utility, Device Manager, to manage all the hardware and installed drivers. You can also use it to get the latest MTP USB device driver for Windows.
However, it is not that easy to download, install, and update the MTP USB driver using Windows Device Manager. You have to follow a lot of steps. And they are also pretty time-consuming. Here is how you can download the driver for your MTP device via Device Manager.
- Launch the Run dialog box by using your keyboard. You simply have to press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard simultaneously.
- Enter the ‘devmgmt.msc’ command in the text box. You can also copy it from here and then paste it into the Run dialog box.
- Click OK.
- After that, scroll to Other devices.
- Expand the hardware category.
- Right-click the MTP option listed in it.
- Select Update driver to download the required version of the MTP USB device driver.
- Now, choose among Search automatically for updated driver and Browse my computer for driver software options. Preferably it is better to go with the first one.
Once you choose the automatic way of searching for an updated MTP driver software, your OS starts finding the suitable driver version. Monitor the whole process. Approve the permissions asked by the system to download and install the driver for the MTP USB device on your PC.
Update MTP Driver Using Windows Update
Another way of updating the MTP USB device driver via a Windows default utility or feature is using the Windows Update. The method helps in upgrading the entire OS along with the necessary software and driver updates. Hence, if your MTP driver has become outdated, then you can try using Windows Update to get its latest version on your PC.
The feature dedicatedly focuses on upgrading the Windows. It is not that effective when it comes to updating PC drivers. But, if you still want to give it a try, then below are the instructions that you should follow.
- Click the Start icon. You can find it on your taskbar.
- Do a click on Settings.
- Now choose Updates & Security in the Settings window.
- After that, go to the Windows Update settings.
- In the update settings, choose Check for updates.
Following the above steps initiates Windows search for the available updates. The OS asks you for permission to download and install the detected software or driver upgrades. You have to approve the request.
Use Bit Driver Updater To Download & Update MTP Driver For Windows 10
Let’s discuss the fastest & easiest way, in short, the best way to download the MTP driver for Windows 10, 8, & 7. Among all the above methods, some cons may bother you while downloading and installing a driver for your MTP device. You can avoid them by using the Bit Driver Updater for the task.
The software comes with almost no con. It offers a variety of helpful features that eventually helps users to update their PC drivers with ease. So, first of all, let’s have a glance at the benefits of using Bit Driver Updater to update the MTP USB driver.
- The software ensures a safe driver upgrade by creating a restorable backup of the current drivers.
- Users who are running short of time can use Bit Driver Updater to repair all their driver problems with a single click.
- The interface is also beginner-friendly. You do not have to be a tech expert to update your drivers and tweak the system performance.
- It comes with an option to plan your PC driver schedule.
If you have came this long, then it seems that you are interested in using Bit Driver Updater. For you, below, we have shared a brief guide to use the program.
- Click the button provided below and download the feature-rich driver update program.
- Go to the Downloads and run the software installer to install Bit Driver Updater.
- Follow the mere instructions provided on the screen.
- Launch to tool once it gets successfully installed.
- Do a click on Scan Drivers.
- Review the provided list of driver issues and click Update Now to fix them.
As discussed in the features, you can also fix all the driver issues simultaneously. Just go with the Update All option.
Best Solution To Download & Update MTP USB Driver On Windows
We hope you have fixed the ‘MTP USB device or driver failed’ issue by updating the MTP driver with the above solutions. It is essential to get rid of such problems to ensure a smooth transfer of media files among an external storage device like your smartphone and your PC. We like to conclude this guide by sharing our opinion on the best way to download and update the MTP USB device driver on Windows 10, 8, or 7. And we suggest using Bit Driver Updater as the best way to resolve any such PC driver issue.