Mass storage devices are external devices, like flash drives, hard drivers, etc., that we use to store and transfer data. These devices are connected to the computer through USB ports. Hence, they are called USB mass storage devices. To make the PC recognize these devices and help it communicate with them, you need to download the USB mass storage device drivers.
Without an appropriate USB mass storage device driver for Windows 10/8/7, you cannot use these devices smoothly. And various errors like USB device not detected are bound to come your way. Therefore, to help you dodge annoying problems, this article shares the quickest and easiest methods to download the required driver on your computer.
Let’s not waste highly valuable time and move straight to the methods you need to follow to download and install the updated USB mass storage driver for both 64 Bit and 32 Bit Windows 10/8/7 computers.
Methods to Download USB Mass Storage Device Driver for Windows
Below are the ways to download the updated version of the USB mass storage device driver for Windows 10/8/7 PC.
Method 1: Download USB Mass Storage Device Driver through PC Manufacturer’s Website
The website of your PC manufacturer contains all the drivers you need to ensure smooth operation of the computer. You only need to find the drivers compatible with the model and OS that you are using. Here, we take HP as an example. However, the steps are almost identical for every manufacturer.
- Visit the PC manufacturer’s website.
- Go to the Support tab and choose Software & drivers.
- Search for the model of your PC/laptop.
- Choose your operating system if the detected one is incorrect.
- View the available drivers and click on the option to Download the setup file for the USB mass storage driver.
- Click on the downloaded setup file and tread on the heels of on-screen directions to get the driver installed.
Method 2: Download the Driver for USB Mass Storage through Device Manager
You can also employ the in-built driver management software, i.e., Device Manager to get the USB mass storage driver on Windows 10/8/7 computer. Here are the steps you need to follow to do it.
- Use the keyboard command Windows+X to get the Quick Access menu.
- Click on Device Manager to open it.
- Click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers to view them.
- Right-click on the USB mass storage device and choose the Update driver option.
- Click on the first available option, i.e., Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Wait for the successful download and installation of the USB mass storage device driver on your computer.
- After completing the above steps, restart your computer.
Method 3: Update your Computer’s OS to Download Mass Storage Driver
Whenever you update the OS, along with missing system files, Windows also downloads the needed drivers to fix the common PC problems. Updating the operating system is also one of the approaches you can follow to download the USB mass storage controller driver on Windows 7, 8, or 10 computers. Thus, you can update the operating system by following the steps shared below.
- Press the Windows and I keys on the keyboard at the same time.
- Choose Update & Security from the menu of PC Settings.
- Click on the tab named Check for updates.
- Download the update that Windows recommends for your OS and install it.
- After the update process is complete, reboot the computer.
Method 4: Download the USB Mass Storage Device Driver Automatically (Recommended)
If you want to save time and energy, then there is a smarter way to get the driver you need for the USB mass storage device. You can download it automatically with specialist software like Bit Driver Updater. This software is among one of the renowned tools to download and install the updated versions of drivers with a single click. Moreover, it also provides a plethora of incredible features that you can learn through its detailed review.
You are required to take the below steps to download the needed driver for USB mass storage devices on your PC.
- Click on the download button shared below to download the Bit Driver Updater setup file.
- Click on the file you downloaded in the above step and follow the instructions to complete the software installation.
- After completing the installation, wait till the automatic PC scan is complete (it takes only a couple of seconds).
- Click on the Update Now button located alongside the USB mass storage device driver to download its latest version.
If you wish, then you can get all the outdated drivers updated in one fell swoop by selecting the Update All option.
If any confusion persists in your mind, you can clear it by going through the next section.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is a USB mass storage device driver?
A USB mass storage device driver is the communication channel between your computer and devices such as flash drives that you connect using a USB port. It helps the computer in understanding and executing your instructions without any errors.
Q2. How do I install the USB mass storage driver on Windows 10?
You can follow the below steps to install the USB mass storage device driver on Windows 10.
- Open Device Manager.
- Click on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand them.
- Right-click on the USB mass storage device and select the Update driver option.
- Choose the Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Specify the location where you saved the driver file, select Include subfolders, and click on the Browse button.
- Choose the folder that has the driver file and click on OK.
- Complete the installation.
Q3. How do I reinstall the USB mass storage device driver?
If you are facing issues with your USB mass storage device driver, then you can implement the below steps to reinstall it.
- Evoke Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
- Right-click on the USB mass storage device and select Uninstall device.
- Select Delete driver software for this device and click on Uninstall/OK.
- Let the uninstallation complete.
- Reboot the PC.
USB Mass Storage Device Driver Downloaded Successfully
This article explained how to download the USB mass storage device driver on Windows 10/8/7 computers quickly and effectively. You can use any of the methods shared above to perform this task. However, in our view, doing it automatically with Bit Driver Updater is the best decision as it saves you time and energy. And it also fixes many driver-related problems. Lastly, if you found this tech guide helpful, do subscribe to this blog for more tech how-to guides.