There are n number of threats that can damage your computer and the data stored on it. And even the best antivirus software can fell short of preventing your PC from them. Hence, we need to take some extra precautions to tackle with these security issues. One of them is disabling the USB port, as the USB drive is one of the most common means to transmit a malware of someone’s PC. People can also steal your data by copying it from your computer to their USB without your permission. Hence, today we’ll discuss ‘how to enable USB port?’ and ‘how to disable USB port?’
So, without delaying much, let’s have a look at multiple ways through which you can disable USB port in Windows 10, 8, and 7.
Don’t worry as we’ll also provide you with the methods to enable USB port in Windows 10, 8, and 7. Before moving ahead, here is a small recommendation from our end.
Update USB driver ports (Recommended)
For the proper functioning of the USB port, it is essential to keep the USB driver updated at all times. Therefore, we recommend you update the driver with Bit Driver Updater. This software updates the driver in one click and also improves the PC’s performance at the same time. You can get it by clicking the button below.
How to Enable/Disable USB Port in Windows PC?
There are several ways through which an administrator can disable USB port on Windows PC. Here we discuss some of the most effective ones below. Along with disabling USB, we have also mentioned methods to enable USB port in Windows 10 blocked by Administrator.
Enable/Disable USB Port via Command Prompt
One of the most effective ways to disable USB ports in Windows 7, 8, and 10 is using the Command Prompt. Here are the steps that can help you to disable and enable USB port in Windows 10 using command prompt.
- Run Command Prompt as administrator via Windows Search box.
- Then, enter the ‘set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1’ command and press the Enter Key.
- After that, type ‘start devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
- In the Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Then, right-click on all of them and select Disable device.
To enable USB port in Windows 7, 8, and 10 again, you do not need to do much or something different. You can do it by following the same procedure, and at last, instead of selecting the Disable device option, choose Enable device.
Block USB port in Windows 10 via Group Policy
If you are using Windows 10 pro, then this method is exclusively for you. It allows you to block USB port in Windows 10 via Group Policy. However, the Group Policy Editor is only available in Windows 10 pro. Hence, we advise the users of some other versions of Windows to check some other methods mentioned in this post.
- Launch the Run command with the help of Windows key + R key.
- Then, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Navigate to the below path:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Removable Storage Access
- Then, double-click on the Removable Disks: Deny write access policy which is available on the right side of the Window
- Now, click Enabled, which is available on the top-left side of the Window.
- Select Apply.
- After that, click on OK to finish it.
- Exit from the Group Policy Editor.
- At last, to implicate all the Group Policy Editor changes, reboot the PC.
However, if you want to enable USB blocked by Group Policy Editor on Windows 10, then you have to follow the same steps. But instead of selecting Enabled, you have to choose Disabled.
Enable/Disable USB Port via Registry Editor
The administrator can even disable the USB port by using the Windows Registry Editor. Here are all the necessary steps that you need to follow to block the USB port via Registry Editor.
- Launch the Windows Registry Editor. If you are not so familiar with the Windows shortcut keys, then you can use the Search box to open it.
- Navigate to the path mentioned below:
- Find Start and right-click on it.
- Select Modify.
- Change the Value Data to 4 and click OK. It will disable the USB port.
However, if you want to enable USB port in Windows 10 blocked by administrator, then you can do it by changing the value data to 3.
Use BIOS to Enable/Disable USB Port
Some of the PC manufacturers also allows you to make customizations to the BIOS. Hence, you can also use it to disable/enable the USB port of your Windows 10, 8, or 7 PC. You can follow these instructions to do it safely.
- Enter the BIOS mode.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Disable Legacy USB Support and USB functions.
- Use F10 to exit BIOS.
- Restart your PC.
Using this method you can also turn off USB power after shutdown.
Use A Third-Party Application to Enable/Disable USB Port
If you are not interested in following the manual methods to disable the USB port, then you can try using a third-party application to lock the USB port with a password. It will provide you an additional security as nobody will be able to access your USB drives without your permission or password. It can prevent you from the risk of data theft.
However, you can also unlock USB port whenever you want. It is quite easy to lock and unlock USB ports with passwords using third-party applications.
Uninstall USB Drivers
If you want a strong solution to disable the USB ports of your PC, then we recommend you to uninstall the USB drivers. This will lead to a complete stoppage in the functioning of your USB ports. You can do it by following the steps mentioned below.
- Go to Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Then, right-click on all of them and select the Uninstall device option.
- After that, mark ‘Delete the driver software for this device’ and click OK.
However, if you want to get your USB drivers back and enable USB port, then we recommend you to use Bit Driver Updater. It is the best software to download and update device drivers on Windows PC. It is also free to try. Here is the download button.
Although, if you want to know more about this best software to update device drivers, then you can refer to our Bit Driver Updater review.
Enable/Disable USB Port on Windows
So, that’s all about enabling/disabling the USB ports on Windows 10, 8, and 7 PCs. Hope you have found the above methods to enable/disable USB port helpful. You can let us know some more effective ways by using the comments section.
Furthermore, if you like to know more about Windows PCs, device drivers, etc., then subscribe to Innovana blogs. You can also stay in touch with us over Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.