Read this post if you are struggling to solve the AMD driver timeout issue. Below you will find the best solutions to this problem.
AMD graphics cards are the best combination of affordability and power-packed performance. However, sometimes, they may also bug the user with annoying errors. As reported by many of our readers and other users across the globe, they are experiencing the most irritating AMD driver timeout error in Windows.
Has your computer screen also turned black all of a sudden with a message flash “We detected a driver timeout has occurred on your system?” If yes, this article is your best friend.
It teaches you how to fix AMD driver timeout in the easiest possible ways. Without wasting your precious time beating around the bush, let’s move straight to the fixes you need to solve the problem once and for all.
Know More: How to Download and Update AMD GPIO Driver
Fixes for AMD driver timeout issue in Windows
Below are some tried and tested solutions to solve the AMD driver timeout issue in Windows.
Fix 1: Change the Power Mode to the Best Performance
If power saving is not your top priority and you want the graphics card to deliver the maximum performance, you can change the Power Mode to Best Performance. The Best Performance mode also helps fix errors like AMD driver timeout. Thus, below we share the steps you can implement to alter the Power Mode of your computer.
- Click on the taskbar’s Battery icon.
- Slide the Power Mode towards the right to set it to Best Performance.
- Check whether the AMD driver timeout issue is solved or not.
Fix 2: Change the PC’s Visual Effects and Power Plan to Best Performance
In the case of a laptop, changing the Power Mode to Best Performance transforms the way the whole device performs. However, on desktop computers, you have settings, such as Visual Effects Power Plan to do the same magic on your PC’s performance. You can use these settings to fix the AMD driver timeout black screen issue easily. Thus, let’s set the Visual Effects and Power Plan to Best Performance.
Changing Visual Effects to Best Performance
- Input View advanced system settings in your computer’s search bar, and pick it from the results.
- Click on the Performance Settings and go to the Visual Effects tab.
- Select Adjust for best performance from the available options.
- Choose Apply and OK to confirm and save the changed settings.
Changing Power Plan to Best Performance
- Make a right-click on the Windows icon and pick Power Options from the context menu.
- Go to the Additional Power Settings and Create a Power Plan.
- Choose High Performance from the on-screen options.
- Click on Next to go to the subsequent step.
- Choose Create and restart your computer.
Fix 3: Update the AMD drivers (Recommended)
If you check all our troubleshooting guides, updating drivers is one fix we always recommend the most. The reason is, outdated/missing drivers are a serious problem for your computer. They are the prime cause of almost every problem you encounter, such as AMD driver timeout errors.
Therefore, to fix the issue, it is important to download, install, and update AMD drivers on Windows. You can perform this task through Device Manager/AMD’s official website or automatically using intelligent software (for example, Bit Driver Updater).
We think it is better to get the drivers downloaded automatically. You can use one of the top driver update programs like Bit Driver Updater to perform this task.
Bit Driver Updater downloads the needed driver updates and installs them automatically with a click. Moreover, it also lets you perform various crucial functions, such as driver backup and restore, speeding up the driver download process, scheduling the driver scans effortlessly.
After downloading and installing the software from the above link, you can follow these steps to download and install the driver updates.
- Give Bit Driver Updater some time (usually two to three seconds) to scan your computer deeply.
- Update All drivers to their newest possible versions automatically.
Bit Driver Updater also gives you the freedom to download the AMD CPU driver update for Windows/graphics card driver individually. You can make use of the Update Now tool to perform the individual driver updates.
However, to ensure your computer performs superbly, we recommend updating every flagged driver.
Fix 4: Lower the display’s refresh rate
A higher FPS or refresh rate, no doubt, takes the gaming experience a notch up. But it puts more pressure on the PC’s resources, causing errors like AMD driver timeout. Therefore, you need to reduce the refresh rate using these steps to solve this issue.
- Search for and open Display settings on your computer.
- Go to the Advanced Display Settings.
- Select Display Adapter Properties.
- Choose Display and click on Refresh Rate.
- Select the lowest possible refresh rate from the on-screen menu.
- Ensure to apply the changes.
- After applying the changes, restart your computer.
Fix 5: Turn the Fast Startup off
Fast Startup in Windows seems no less than a blessing when you can’t wait for long to use your computer. However, to boot the device faster, this functionality often conflicts with the normal working of your PC. Thus, you need to turn it off. Below is how to disable the Fast Startup on Windows to fix the AMD driver timeout issue.
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Power Options.
- Go to the Additional Power Settings and Choose what the power button does.
- Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck the Turn on Fast Startup box and select the option to Save Changes.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
Fix 6: Turn off AMD driver’s issue reporting
If your computer is working correctly and you are only troubled with the AMD driver timeout message box, then you can turn off the driver’s reporting. Below is how to do it.
- Open AMD Adrenaline Software and select Settings.
- Switch off the Issue Reporting and start your computer again.
Fix 7: Get the AMD driver reinstalled
If you tried to download an AMD driver with Auto-Detect or through other manual ways, you might have downloaded an incorrect driver. Downloading and installing wrong/incompatible drivers also results in problems like AMD driver timeout. Therefore, to solve this issue, you can follow these steps to reinstall the AMD driver.
- Search for Device Manager and launch it.
- Click on the category of AMD driver with which you are experiencing the timeout issue (mostly, users experience this problem with graphics drivers).
- Right-click on the problematic AMD driver and select Uninstall device from the context menu.
- Mark the Delete the driver software for this device box and click on OK/Uninstall.
- After the uninstallation is complete, choose Action from Device Manager’s menu bar.
- Scan for hardware changes.
- After scanning for hardware changes, restart your computer to get the AMD drivers reinstalled.
Above, we looked at all the possible ways to fix the AMD driver timeout issue. Now, let’s look at the answers to some frequently asked questions about the same to solve the problem more correctly.
Frequently asked questions
Q1. How to fix AMD driver timeout?
In this article, we acquainted you with many ways to solve the AMD driver timeout issue. You can try the above fixes to get rid of the problem. If you don’t have enough time to apply all the solutions, you can jump to the most recommended solution, i.e., executing a driver updater with Bit Driver Updater straightaway to fix the problem in a single shot.
Q2. Why does my AMD display driver keep crashing?
Many issues on your computer can result in the AMD display driver crashing. Below are the most prominent ones.
- Corrupted/outdated graphics driver
- Overheating GPU
- Overclocking of the processor
Q3. What is the reason for GPU driver timeout?
AMD display driver crashing and GPU driver timeout has somewhat common causes. For instance, the timeout issue on GPU drivers is also a result of out-of-date graphics drivers and overheated/overclocked processors.
Q4. Can RAM create driver timeouts?
Yes, RAM can also cause driver timeouts if there is not enough virtual memory. RAM needs virtual memory to keep less frequently used/changed pages. If you don’t have virtual memory available, these pages hog up the RAM, causing issues like AMD Driver Timeout.
Q5. How to solve the AMD drivers freezing issue?
AMD driver timeout and AMD drivers freezing are similar issues having common fixes. Thus, you can apply the solutions shared in this article to fix the freezes as well. In addition to the above fixes, you can also try the following.
- Graphics card cleaning
- Making changes to the TdrDelay value from the Registry Editor
- Downclocking the processor
AMD driver timeout fixed
Through this article, we discussed the best ways to fix the AMD driver timeout issue in Windows. You can either apply all the fixes one by one or directly update the drivers with Bit Driver Updater to solve the problem instantly.
If you know about other better solutions to the problem, kindly share your knowledge through the comments section. And, for troubleshooting guides to fix other such issues, be sure to read Innovana Blog regularly.