Device Manager is your go-to place in Windows for solving driver-related and other hardware issues. But, what if the Manager fails to open a device that you need? Well, in that case, an annoying Code 10 The Device Cannot Start error pops up on your screen. If you are also struggling to resolve the same bug, then read on as this write-up discusses the best fixes to drive it away.
But, before moving on to those fixes, a question comes up that why the Device Manager fails and displays Windows 10 The Device Cannot Start Code 10. Well, the reasons for the error can be many. But, the most prominent culprit is the outdated drivers. Out of date drivers often result in this troublesome error. However, an unknown driver issue that is beyond the Device Manager’s understanding can also trigger this error.
Now, after knowing the reasons, fixing Code 10 The Device Cannot Start would be an effortless task. Thus, without burning daylight, let’s fix it.
Quick Fixes for Code 10 The Device Cannot Start
A few fixes can help you get rid of Code 10 The Device Cannot Start error in a couple of minutes. Below we share them.
Fix 1: Undo the Changes and Restart the PC
Have you installed any new peripheral or made any changes to the existing ones before this error popped up? If yes, then this could be the reason for which Code 10 The Device Cannot Start error is troubling you. Therefore, reverse the alterations that you have made and reboot the computer.
Fix 2: Roll Back the Driver
In case you have recently installed a new driver, rolling it back to the previous state can help resolve The Device Cannot Start Code 10. Thus, we share the steps to roll back the driver below.
- Press the “Windows” and “X” key on your keyboard to evoke the “Quick Access” menu.
- From the menu, choose “Device Manager”.
- Wait for the Device Manager to pop up, and after it comes, expand the problematic driver category. In our case, it is Bluetooth but in most of cases, it is the USB drivers.
- Right-click on the device and select “Properties”.
- In the Properties window, go to the “Drivers” tab and click on “Roll Back Driver”.
- Click on “OK”.
- Specify the reason for rolling back the driver and click on “Yes”.
- Wait till the rollback completes.
Fix 3: Update the OS version
With every new update, you get patches for the shortcomings that the current Windows version might have including various PC errors like Code 10 The Device Cannot Start. Hence, using the below steps, update Windows.
- On your PC’s keyboard, press “Windows” and “I” keys.
- After the Settings window gets displayed on the screen, select “Update & Security”.
- Go to the Windows Update section.
- Click on “Check for updates”. If you see the “Download” button, then this means that Windows has already checked and found an update for your OS, hence, click on “Download”.
Fix 4: Uninstall and then Install the Driver Again
If you know which device is causing the Device Cannot Start Code 10, then reinstalling the driver can also be the perfect solution. Most probably, the recently updated drivers are the problematic ones. Follow the below steps to reinstall them.
- Turn on “Device Manager”.
- Locate the troublesome device and right-click it. The troublesome hardware in our case is Bluetooth.
- Select “Uninstall device” from the menu displayed on the screen.
- Mark “Delete the driver software for this device” and select “Uninstall”.
- After the driver is uninstalled, restart the PC to reinstall it.
Fix 5: Perform a system restore
Any changes made to Windows 10 can trigger Windows 10 The Device Cannot Start Code 10. Hence, to make things right, follow these steps to do a system restore.
- In the Search box, type “Control Panel” and click on the “Best Match” to open it.
- After the “Control Panel” window opens, click on “System and Security”.
- From the options visible in the System and Security window, choose “System”.
- Now, click on “System Protection”.
- Go to the “System Protection” tab and click on “System Restore”.
- Now, click on “Next” to move further.
- Choose a restore point from the on-screen list and click on “Next”.
- Click on “Finish” to confirm the restore point that you have selected.
- A dialog box appears asking whether you want to continue or not. Click on “Yes”.
- Wait till the system restore completes and your PC restarts.
Fix 6: Update drivers using ITL Driver Updater (Recommended)
We often noticed that drivers cause most of the PC bugs including Code 10 The Device Cannot Start. Thus, in our view, the ultimate solution to all the problems is updating all the out of date drivers. Since doing this manually requires considerable skills and expertise, we suggest you update drivers automatically with ITL Driver Updater. This fabulous and top driver updating utility updates all the drivers in an instant and make the PC’s performance as smooth as a brand new spanking model. Moreover, these are not the only benefits of ITL Driver Updater. We will talk more about them after a while. First, let’s go through the simple step series that you need to implement for updating drivers with ITL Driver Updater.
Steps to use ITL Driver Updater
- Download and introduce ITL Driver Updater on your PC.
- Let it run a driver scan. Don’t worry, you can use the computer while the device is scanned.
- After the scan results show up on the screen, choose “Update Now” to update the driver causing problems. If there is more than one problematic driver and you want to update them in a single left-click, then get ITL Driver Updater’s paid version.
Now, coming to the big question, i.e., is ITL Driver Updater worth the investment, why pay for it when there are a lot of free utilities in the marketplace. Well, the answer is simple, not all the free tools are the best. ITL Driver Updater is the truly best tool that we have used. It solved all the PC problems that we were once struggling to resolve. Apart from this, below are the other noteworthy advantages of ITL Driver Updater that make it a utility worth investing.
Why get ITL Driver Updater’s Paid Version
Below are the reasons for which we believe that ITL Driver Updater is a utility worth paying for.
- Runs scans in the background without hogging up your workspace.
- The scan speed is highly fast (completes the scan within a few microseconds).
- Gives the user freedom to decide the scanning time and schedule.
- There is no need to worry if you don’t want to scan and update a particular driver. You can exclude it.
- You can use ITL Driver Updater in any language that you are comfortable with.
- This tool is available for all the latest versions of Microsoft Windows.
- It is reasonably priced.
These were only a few upsides of ITL Driver Updater. We noticed many others while using it. You will also get to know about the same after you click on the below link to install ITL Driver Updater and use it.
Code 10 The Device Cannot Start: Fixed
Through this weblog post, we discussed how to fix Code 10 The Device Cannot Start on Windows 10. Hopefully, you won’t encounter this worrisome error again. In case you have any unresolved queries or any other inputs that you would like to share, then don’t hesitate to mention the same in the comment box. Another post related to an annoying tech issue is on the way. Hence, stay with us.