This write-up discusses the solutions that you can try if copy and paste on Windows 10 are not working.
Cut, copy, and paste seems the ABC of computers. When introduced to the world of computer machines, these are the first commands that we learn. Almost every millennial has grown up using these computing commands. We even fail to imagine how would we copy or move text, icons, files, and folders from one location to another if the options to cut, copy, and paste was not present. When the commands are so crucial if copy and paste are not working on Windows 10, then this can be a piece of bad news for users.
If you are also troubled with dysfunctioning copy paste on Windows 10, then this write-up is all that you need to read. Here we share the most straightforward fixes that you can try your hand at if the Windows 10 clipboard is not working.
How to Fix Copy and Paste not Working on Windows 10
The potential solutions that you can try to fix if copy and paste are not working on Windows 10 are stated below. You can work your way down the list to find the solution that works perfectly in your case.
Solution 1: Start rdpclip.exe again
Are you using a remote desktop connection? If yes, then the rdpclip.exe process may be the reason for which copy and paste are not working on Windows 10. You can restart it to fix the issue using the following steps.
- Press Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys simultaneously to run Task Manager.
- After the Task Manager window appears, move to Details tab.
- Locate and right-click on rdpclip.exe.
- Select “End Task” from the menu that comes up.
- Find rdpclip.exe in the System 32 folder and start it again.
This was how to fix if the Windows 10 remote desktop copy-paste is not working. If this solution is not appropriate in your case, then below are more fixes for you to try.
Solution 2: Update Windows 10
Updating the operating system is another way to fix troublesome issues such as copy and paste not working in Windows 10. You can effortlessly update Windows and fix this issue through the below steps.
- Hit Windows and I keys simultaneously to evoke Settings.
- When the Settings window appears, choose “Update & Security”.
- In the Windows Update pane, choose “Check for updates”.
Hopefully, Windows update puts an end to your query of what to do if copy-paste on Windows 10 is not working. But, if the query still remains unresolved, then jump to the next solution.
Solution 3: Give Antivirus a Glance
It may sound weird but antivirus that you are using may also be the reason for which you are unable to copy-paste in Windows 10. This may happen particularly in the cases where you are using any random utility available in the marketplace to shield your system. Thus, try disabling some features of your antivirus and if the problem still rears its ugly head, then uninstall it completely.
Solution 4: Run chkdsk Scan
We have often found that corrupted system files are one of the prime reasons for which copy paste is not working in Windows 10. Thus, you need to run a chkdsk scan to fix the corrupted files and make these commands work again. Below is how to do it.
- Launch “This PC” and right-click the hard drive.
- Click on “Properties”.
- Once the Properties window comes, move to the Tools tab.
- In the Tools tab, click on the “Check” button to scan and fix hard drive errors.
Now, check whether the issue is resolved or copy and paste are still not working on Windows 10.
Solution 5: Clear the Clipboard History
A cluttered clipboard history can also be the reason for which you are here in search of “how to fix if my copy and paste is not working on Windows 10?” Thus, follow the below-mentioned steps to clear the clipboard history.
- Run cmd.exe
- Type the echo off | clip command.
- Press Enter.
The above steps clear the clipboard history. If these steps seem tough to implement, then you can also clear the history through the context menu. Are copy and paste now working on Windows 10? If not, then try the below solutions.
Solution 6: Create a Fresh User Account
The user account issues can also be the reason why copy and paste are not working on Windows 10. Therefore, follow the below steps to create a new account and fix the problem.
- Launch Windows 10 Settings and select “Accounts”.
- From the left pane, select “Family & other people”.
- In the right pane, click on “Add someone else to this PC”.
- Select “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information”.
- Click on “Add a user without a Microsoft account”.
- Lastly, enter the username that you want and click on “Next”.
Solution 7: Start explorer.exe Again
Restarting explorer.exe can resolve the issues if Windows 10 clipboard is not working. You can do it effortlessly with the following steps.
- Launch Task Manager.
- In the context menu, locate and right-click on “Windows Explorer”.
- Click on “Restart”.
Copy and Paste not Working on Windows 10: Resolved
Through this write-up, we learned how to fix the issues if copy and paste are not working on Windows 10. Hopefully, you find the solutions shared here helpful. Do let us know what you feel about this post through the comment box below and stay tuned for more such tech fixes and updates.