Games are fun with friends. What makes games more enjoyable is audio-video sharing and chatting with friends through Discord. However, many users are facing Discord lagging issues, making the game not so entertaining.
Are you also one of those users who are facing Discord lagging issues while streaming? Well, then you can cheer up as this post introduces you to the best solutions to this problem.
Before jumping into troubleshooting, let’s look at what is making Discord lag while playing games. Understanding the reasons for a problem leads to better solutions.
Why do you face Discord lagging issues when streaming or gaming?
There are multiple reasons for which you encounter Discord stream lagging. Below we share the prominent ones.
- Conflict with other programs
- Hardware Acceleration issues
- Outdated graphics or audio driver
- Accumulation of cache files
- Unsuitable power settings
- Incorrect Discord voice settings
- Corrupted Discord files
Now that we understand what causes high ping on Discord, let’s begin fixing it.
Fixes for Discord stream lagging issues
Below is what you can do to fix the Discord stream lag. We suggest you follow the sequence of fixes till you reach the solution that solves the problem.
Fix 1: End unnecessary processes:
If too many programs or processes are running on your computer, you may find yourself stuck with Discord lagging issues. The reason is conflicts between these programs and Discord. Therefore, to solve this problem, take the below steps to end the unneeded processes.
- Right-click on your taskbar and choose Task Manager from the context menu.
- On the Processes tab, go through the CPU and memory consumption and find the processes utilizing the most resources.
- Right-click on the resource-hogging process and choose End task from the context menu. Alternatively, you can select the process and click on the End task button present in the bottom right corner.
Now, check whether Discord ping spikes are fixed or not.
Fix 2: Disable Hardware Acceleration:
If the hardware of your computer is not in shipshape, then turning on Hardware Acceleration can cause various issues, such as Discord stream lagging. To fix this problem, you need to turn off Hardware Acceleration by following these steps.
- Launch Discord and select Settings from the bottom left corner.
- Select Appearance from the Settings menu.
- Turn off the Hardware Acceleration toggle if it is turned on.
- Lastly, select OK to complete the process.
Fix 3: Update graphics and audio driver:
Outdated graphics and the audio driver is among the top causes behind Discord video and voice chat lagging. Therefore, you must ensure that they are up to date at all times. You have two options to update the driver for your graphics card and audio device, one is manual, and the other is an easier automatic way. Let’s talk about both of them.
Manual way to update graphics and audio driver
Below is how you can update the graphics and audio driver manually.
- On the keyboard, hit the Windows and X keys in unison.
- From the on-screen menu, select Device Manager.
- Now, click on Sound, video, and game controllers to update the audio driver.
- To update the graphics driver, click on the Display adapters section.
- Right-click on your audio device or graphics card and choose Update driver from the on-screen menu.
- Choose the first available option, i.e., Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Now, have patience and wait for a couple of hours till Windows detects, downloads, and installs appropriate drivers on your device.
Automatic way to update graphics and audio driver (Recommended)
If you don’t have the patience or technical skills required to update the driver manually, then we have a simple solution. You can leave all your worries to the best driver updater in the town. Programs such as Bit Driver Updater perform all the work automatically without you having to make any tiring effort. Moreover, this software also provides many benefits like an option to create and restore driver backups, creating a system restore point, increasing the driver download speed, and more. You can learn more about Bit Driver Updater from here.
Below is how to update the graphics and audio driver automatically with Bit Driver Updater.
- Click on the link given below to get Bit Driver Updater’s setup.
Bit Driver updater – Automatic driver updater and Installer for Windows
- Click on the setup you downloaded and install the software.
- Let the Bit Driver Updater scan your computer for a few seconds.
- After the scan, click on the Update Now buttons present next to the audio driver and graphics driver to update them.
If you want to save time and improve your PC’s performance as well, then get the latest version of all drivers in one go by selecting the Update All option.
Fix 4: Delete the accumulated cache files:
When accumulated, cache and cookies impact Discord negatively, causing screen share server and other lags. Therefore, to fix this problem, delete the accumulated cache by implementing these steps.
- Move out of Discord.
- Press Windows and R keys on your keyboard to make the Run box active.
- In the Run box, key in %AppData%/Discord/Cache, and hit Enter.
- Use the combination of Ctrl and A key to select all the files.
- Hit the Del key to remove all the files you selected in the previous step.
- Launch Discord and check whether the Discord server still lags or not.
Fix 5: Modify the power settings:
If you have set the power plan to Balanced, then in an attempt to save energy, your PC becomes slow causing Discord lagging issues. To fix these problems, you need to change the power plan to High performance. Here is how to do it.
- In the search bar, type Control Panel, and select it.
- Change View by to Large icons and then choose Power Options.
- Choose High performance.
- Start Discord again and check whether it is still lagging while streaming or the problem is fixed.
Fix 6: Change Discord voice settings:
Inappropriate voice settings may be a reason why voice chat is lagging on Discord. Therefore, follow the below steps to make changes in the voice settings.
- Open Discord Settings.
- Select Voice & Video from the available options.
- Click Reset Voice Settings.
- Click Okay to complete the process.
Fix 7: Ensure Discord is updated:
Issues like voice delay, video, and sound lags may occur because your Discord version is outdated. Therefore, update Discord to get rid of these problems by following the steps below.
- Launch the Run box.
- Type %localappdata% and hit Enter.
- Double-click on Discord.
- Double-click on Update.exe and let the update complete.
- Open Discord and check whether the problem is solved or you are still facing lagging issues.
Fix 8: Install Discord again:
If your Discord files are corrupt, reinstalling the program can fix the problem. Below is the way to do it.
- Open Control Panel.
- Choose the Uninstall a program option.
- Right-click on Discord and select Uninstall from the context menu.
- After completing the uninstallation, install Discord from here.
We hope that Discord is no longer lagging while streaming. However, if you still have any questions, then read the next section to find their answers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What to do if Discord is lagging even if the internet is working fine?
Below is how to fix Discord lagging issues in such a case.
- Move closer to the router.
- Ensure that you have not connected multiple devices.
- Stop ongoing downloads and updates.
Q2. How do I fix Discord screen share lag?
To fix the screen share issues, follow these steps.
- Launch Discord Settings.
- Choose Voice & Video.
- Find and click on Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority.
- Close Discord and open it again.
Q3. How do I improve Discord stream quality?
You can try the fixes mentioned above to prevent Discord stream lagging issues and get the best streaming quality.
Discord lagging issues fixed successfully
Through this article, we elucidated how to fix the Discord stream lagging issues effortlessly. Since outdated drivers cause most of such issues, we recommend you perform a driver update with Bit Driver Updater to solve this and other problems. And for more solutions to irritating tech issues, keep visiting Innovana Blog.