Read on to know the easiest and quickest ways to fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE in Chrome and all browsers.
Are you trying to access a webpage on Google Chrome but welcomed by ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error? Then, you are not alone. Many users have reported the same issue as you are facing.
But you need not worry as you’ve landed at the correct place to fix the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error. This article acquaints you with the best ways to get it fixed.
Before starting with troubleshooting, it is always a good idea to find what caused the troubles in the first place. If you know what drives an error, fixing it is easy as pie. Hence, let’s talk a little about the causes of ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE on Chrome and all other web browsers.
What causes ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error
Below are the top reasons you get the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE on Chrome
- Unnecessarily accumulated browsing data
- Incorrect network settings
- Outdated drivers
- Inappropriate DNS settings
- Presence of faulty browser extensions
Above were the top causes of ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error on all browsers. Now, let’s learn how to fix it.
Fixes for ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error
Here are the solutions you can apply to get the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE on Chrome and all browsers if it failed to load a resource you want to see.
Fix 1: Clear the browsing data
Google Chrome and a majority of browsers store your browsing data for faster access the next time you visit any website. However, such data is not always necessary. Sometimes, its unnecessary accumulation causes problems like ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error on Chrome. To fix this issue, it becomes essential to remove this data. Here are the steps you can take to do it.
- Evoke Google Chrome.
- On your keyboard, hit the Ctrl, Shift, and Delete buttons simultaneously.
- Choose the beginning of time from the “Obliterate the following items from” menu.
- Select all the on-screen items and Clear browsing data.
- Check whether ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is fixed or not.
Fix 2: Check your network settings
If Chrome failed to load a resource and show network error ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE if the network settings are incorrect. Therefore, you can take these steps to check and reset the settings.
- Using the search operation of Windows, run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type the following commands one by one, and after inputting each command, hit Enter.
netsh winsock reset
net stop dhcp
net start dhcp
netsh winhttp reset proxy
- After executing these commands, check whether this page that you wanted to view isn’t working and showing ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE or the issue is fixed.
Fix 3: Update drivers (Recommended)
If we list the causes of all computer errors, including the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error on Chrome, outdated drivers are at the top. They are responsible for almost all the annoying issues you face while browsing the web or using the computer in general.
It is so because, without an up-to-date driver, your computer cannot communicate with the connected peripherals for the smooth execution of your commands. Therefore, to fix the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE on Chrome and all browsers, you need to update all drivers (particularly, the network adapter driver).
You can execute this task manually or in an automatic way with the help of smart software, like Bit Driver Updater.
Bit Driver Updater updates all the drivers to their most recent versions with just one click. Further, it also offers many impeccable features, like driver backup and restores, accelerated speed of driver downloads, etc.
To know in detail about the benefits of Bit Driver Updater, you can get the software from the link below.
After downloading the software, you can implement the steps shared below to update the out-of-date drivers present on your computer.
- Let Bit Driver Updater perform an automatic scanning of your computer for a couple of seconds.
- Once the scan is complete, you can Update All drivers to their new version.
If you intend to update only a single driver, for example, the network adapter driver to fix the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error on Chrome, you can make use of the Update Now feature.
However, to ensure you get the ultimate performance from your computer with no errors whatsoever, we recommend updating every driver.
Fix 4: Make changes to the DNS settings
Improper DNS settings often cause issues like ERR_CONNECTION_RESET and ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE errors. Thus, to fix these issues, you should change the DNS settings. Here we acquaint you with the steps to do it.
- Make use of the Windows+X command to get the Quick Access menu.
- Pick Network Connections from the menu on your screen.
- Find and right-click on your connection to open its Properties.
- Choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then open its Properties.
- Go to the Use the following DNS server addresses column and input 184.108.40.206 in the Prefered DNS server box and 220.127.116.11 in the Alternate DNS server box.
- Click on OK and check whether the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is fixed or not.
Fix 5: Remove extensions
Unnecessary, faulty, or corrupted extensions only pressurize your browser’s resources. And they are the reason this web page you are trying to view isn’t working on your computer, and you get the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error. Therefore, you need to remove these extensions from your browser to fix the issue. Here is the process to do it.
- Open Chrome’s menu, go to More tools and pick Extensions.
- Select Enabled to disable the unwanted extension. Perform this action for all the undesired extensions.
- Restart the browser after uninstalling the extensions.
Above was how to fix the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error in Chrome. Now, let’s answer some questions you might have about this issue to help you resolve it easily.
Frequently asked questions
Below we answer various questions users have about the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE in Chrome.
Q1. What is the meaning of ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE?
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is an error that appears on Chrome when the website you are trying to visit does not respond or send the required data to make it accessible.
Q2. What are the causes of ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED?
Just like ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error, ERR_NETWORD_CHANGED also has multiple causes. Below we share the highlighting ones.
- Proxy server issues
- Presence of unnecessary cache in the browser
- Winsock catalog entries
- Improper network configuration
- Out-of-date network adapter drivers
Q3. ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is a hosting problem or browser issue?
The error ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is neither completely a hosting nor a browser issue. It can arise from both hosting issues and inappropriate browser settings.
Q4. Will ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE vanish on its own?
We are sorry to burst your bubble, but the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error does not disappear on its own. However, its frequency varies from computer to computer. If you want to fix it, you can use the guide above.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error fixed
Through this article, we shared how to fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE in Chrome. You can apply the above fixes to do it.
However, if trying all the fixes seems too much work to do, you can straightaway update old drivers using Bit Driver Updater to fix the problem effortlessly.
To troubleshoot more tech issues, stay connected with us.