If the HDMI port is not working on your PC/laptop, don’t panic. You can solve this problem effortlessly using the fixes shared in this article.
HDMI ports expand the functionality of your computer, making it easier for you to connect various devices. However, as reported by many users, the HDMI ports are not working after updating Windows 10.
If the same is happening with you, read this article with complete attention. Here, we acquaint you with the best possible solutions to this annoying problem.
But let’s first discuss why you are not getting any image or sound from the device connected to the computer’s HDMI port.
Knowing the underlying causes of a problem helps you solve it better. Thus, we share them below.
Why are HDMI ports not working on Windows 10?
Here is the answer to your question, i.e., “Why my HDMI port is not working.”
- Incorrect display settings
- Outdated graphics driver
- Issues with the HDMI cable connection
- Hardware problems
Above were the core reasons why HDMI ports are not working on Windows 10 PC/laptop. Now, let’s fix this problem.
Fixes for HDMI Ports not Working on Windows 10
Below is how to fix the issues if the HDMI port is not showing in Device Manager or has completely stopped working.
Fix 1: Reconnect the HDMI Cables
In many cases, the HDMI cables are not properly connected. And, this becomes the reason why HDMI ports are not working on your PC or laptop. Follow these steps to reconnect the HDMI cables to fix the issue.
- Detach every HDMI cable from the ports.
- Shut down each of your devices and unplug their power cable/battery.
- After five minutes, replug the power cable/battery.
- Reconnect the HDMI cables and turn on the devices.
Fix 2: Perform Hardware Troubleshooting
Certain hardware issues also affect the working of your computer’s HDMI ports. Thus, run the hardware troubleshooter if the HDMI ports are not working properly. Below are the step-by-step directions to do it.
- Using the combination of keys Windows and I bring up the Settings menu.
- Choose Update and Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane of the screen.
- Click on Hardware and Devices.
- Click on Run the troubleshooter to begin the troubleshooting process.
- Let the troubleshooting complete.
- Check whether the HDMI ports are working or not.
Fix 3: Check the Display Settings
Users who have a multiple monitor setup face issues with the HDMI ports mainly due to incorrect display settings. Thus, if you also use more than one monitor, follow these steps to check and correct the display settings.
- Use the shortcut command Windows+P to view the available display modes.
You get the following display modes on your screen.
- PC Screen Only: Only for the first monitor
- Duplicate: Duplicates the screen content on both monitors
- Extend: Use of both monitors to show an extended desktop
- Second screen only: Use of only the second monitor
- Play with each mode and choose the one that fits your needs and solves your problem.
Fix 4: Update the Graphics Driver (Recommended)
Outdated drivers cause not just one but many computer problems. If the HDMI port is not working on Windows 10 PC or laptop, you must consider updating the graphics driver.
You can update the display driver and all other problematic drivers effortlessly with software like Bit Driver Updater. This program requires just a click to get all the drivers updated.
Moreover, it also offers many stunning features, such as driver backup and restores, driver download speed acceleration, etc. We have done a complete review of this software. You can check it out to know more about the features and benefits of Bit Driver Updater.
Below is the way to update the graphics driver using Bit Driver Updater.
- Click on the download button below to get the setup of Bit Driver Updater downloaded.
- Double click on the downloaded setup and complete the software installation.
- Let the PC scan complete. Bit Driver Updater takes only a few seconds to scan your computer.
- Review all the flagged drivers and click on the Update All button to get them updated automatically.
You can also update the graphics driver individually. All you need to do is click on the Update Now button present next to it.
Fix 5: Update your Operating System
Windows updates fix many issues including the one with your HDMI ports. Therefore, update Windows if the HDMI ports are not working on Windows 10. Here is how to do it.
- Employ the keypad shortcut Windows+I to launch Settings.
- Pick the Update & Security option.
- Check for updates.
- Download the available update and install it on your computer.
- After performing the above steps, give your computer a restart.
HDMI Ports not Working: Fixed
Through this article, we discussed multiple solutions to the problem leading to HDMI ports not working issue. You can begin with the first fix and then keep moving down till you find the one that works best for you.
However, if not much time is available, you can update the drivers with Bit Driver Updater to get the issue resolved for once and all. If you know any better ways to solve the problem, enlighten us through the comments section.
For more solutions to irritating tech problems, keep reading and subscribe to this blog.