WiFi is one of the most common and preferred technology to connect a laptop and other portable devices to a network. Modern laptops come with inbuilt WiFi, Bluetooth, & other network adapters. Despite this, a lot of HP laptop users have reported the HP laptop WiFi not working problem. And it’s not only on the Windows operating system. People who use Ubuntu operating system have also faced the WiFi not working issue in the Ubuntu 18.04 HP laptop.
So, if you are thinking that you are the only one who is facing this problem and panicking about it, then relax. You are not alone and can fix it with quite ease. Here we are going to guide you in resolving the HP laptop WiFi not connecting problems on Windows PC. The most common reason for the issue is the faulty network driver. However, there are also various other factors. Hence, first of all, let’s know the causes of the problem by using the automatic network troubleshooter feature of the Windows utility.
Strongly Recommended way to Solve the HP laptop WiFi not working Problem
Since outdated drivers are among the core reasons for which the WiFi is not working on your HP laptop, updating the drivers is necessary. We suggest you update drivers with Bit Driver Updater as this software lets you perform the task automatically in a single click and fixes all the errors. Moreover, it also makes significant enhancements in the computer’s performance. Here’s the link to try this incredible program.
Troubleshoot HP Laptop WiFi Not Working Issue
You can troubleshoot the HP laptop WiFi not working problem and know its causes in two ways. Below we have described both of them.
Troubleshoot Internet Connections via Windows Settings
Windows Settings also allows you to troubleshoot your PC issues. Here is how you can use this feature to find the reason for the HP laptop WiFi problem.
- Open Windows Settings from the Start menu of your Windows operating system.
- Then, go to the Update & Security option.
- After that, click on Troubleshoot.
- Now select the Additional troubleshooters option.
- Click on the Internet Connections and then select Run the troubleshooter option.
- Now click on the Troubleshoot my connection to the Internet option.
- You can also run the troubleshooter for Network Adapter. Just scroll down to Network Adapter and click on it. Then select the Run the troubleshooter option.
After this, it will provide you with the reason why the HP laptop is not detecting the WiFi on Windows 10. If it shows the network adapter driver problem or any other hardware issue, then you may proceed with the below guide. Or if you see some other WiFi related issue, then you may search for its solution on the Innovana blog.
Troubleshoot HP Laptop Not Connecting to WiFi Issues via Command Prompt
One can also troubleshoot the HP laptop not connecting to WiFi on Windows 7, 8, & 10 issues using the Windows Command Prompt. Here are the required steps.
- Start the Windows Command Prompt on your PC. Simply use the search box of your Windows system and run the Command Prompt as the administrator.
- Now enter the following command in the Command Prompt.
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- Hit the enter key on your keyboard.
- In the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter pop-up window, click Next.
Wait for the troubleshooter to detect the problem and its reason. After that, as we have discussed above, if it shows the network adapter driver problem or any other hardware issue, then you may proceed with this guide. Or, if you find something else, then you can search for its fixes on the Innovana blog.
Now, let’s proceed with the guide and resolve the HP laptop WiFi not connecting issue.
Methods to Resolve HP Laptop WiFi Not Working Issue
Below are the ways through which you can resolve the HP Laptop WiFi not working problem.
Try Reinstalling the Wireless Adapter Driver
If you have recently installed an appropriate driver for the wireless adapter of your HP laptop and started facing the WiFi not connecting issue, then you might have made some mistakes during driver installation. Hence, you have to reinstall the adapter driver. Here are the directions that you must follow while reinstalling it.
- Launch the Windows Device Manager program on your PC. Simply use the search box of your Windows system and open the Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, you’ll see several device categories. Move to the Network adapters and click the arrow-like icon.
- Choose the wireless adapter and right-click on it.
- Then, uninstall the existing device driver by clicking on the Uninstall device.
- It will ask for confirmation, so select the ‘Delete the driver software for this device option and then click on the Uninstall.
- After this, close all the programs and reboot your HP laptop. Windows will automatically reinstall the wireless adapter driver and may fix the HP not connecting to the WiFi problem.
This is a simple solution for HP laptops not detecting the WiFi windows 10 problem. If this does not work, then you may try updating the wireless network adapter driver.
Try Updating the Wireless Adapter Driver on HP Laptop
Sometimes, reinstalling the driver doesn’t fix the HP laptop WiFi not connecting problem. The reason may be the erroneous or outdated adapter driver. Hence, in that case, you should try updating it.
If the HP laptop does not detect the WiFi network due to the faulty adapter driver, then you can update it via these two effective ways.
Update HP Wireless Adapter Driver via Device Manager
Just like we have used the Device Manager to reinstall the wireless adapter driver, we can also use it to update the driver. Updating the driver will solve HP laptops do not detect WiFi network problems. Here are the required directions to do so.
- Launch the Device Manager on your HP laptop by following the instructions provided in the above method.
- Then, move to the Network adapters and click the arrow-like icon.
- Choose the wireless adapter and right-click on it.
- Then, start the upgrade process by clicking on the Update device.
- After that, click on the Search automatically for updated driver software.
Now, keep an eye on the process. Windows will update your wireless network adapter driver on your HP laptop and fix the HP laptop WiFi not working problem.
Some of you may feel that this is a time-killing process to get the latest wireless adapter driver on the HP laptop. If you also feel the same, then you may try the Bit Driver Updater.
Update HP Wireless Adapter Driver Via Bit Driver Updater
Here is the shortest way of updating drivers on your HP laptop. Now, you do not have to perform the driver update process to update all your HP laptop drivers differently. Bit Driver Updater allows you to get updates for all of them in a single click. Along with this, the program also helps you to secure your existing wireless adapter or any other device driver with its backup creation & restore tool. However, all these features are available in the complete premium version of the program. But do not worry, it is worth paying.
You can also test the interface and other basic features of the program for free. And to make it more convenient & effortless, we have provided the download button for bit Driver Updater below. So, download the program from here & follow the easy instructions that we have mentioned below to treat the HP laptop internet connection problems
- Use the downloaded file to install Bit Driver Updater. You only have to run it on your Windows 10, 8, or 7 and follow a couple of on-screen instructions.
- After a proper installation of the program, launch it on your system.
- Then, find your driver issues by choosing the Scan Drivers option.
- Once the tool detects your HP laptop driver issues, go to the wireless network adapter driver in that list. Click Update Now and let this intelligent driver updater program do its job.
Configure the Network Hardware Settings
If your HP laptop won’t connect to WiFi, then there may be some issues with its network hardware and its respective settings. Hence, to resolve this problem, you have to configure the network hardware settings of your HP laptop. Here is all you need to do.
- First of all, shut down your HP laptop and unplug all the devices connected to it.
- Disconnect the AC adapter and detach the battery of your laptop.
- Press and hold the laptop power button for a few moments.
- Disconnect the power supply of your network router and modem as well.
- After a few moments, connect the power supply again.
- Check the lights of the router & modem. If all of them are on and the internet light keeps blinking, then the issue is with your ISP. So, take their assistance in this regard.
- If everything is alright, then turn on your laptop as well by inserting its battery, connecting the AC adapter, and then pressing the Power button.
- After turning on the laptop, go to the network icon on the Windows taskbar and then right-click on it.
- Select the Open Network & Internet settings.
- Then, click on the Change adapter options.
- After that, reset the status of the network connection of your HP laptop. If it is set to Disable, then right-click on it and click on Enable. It the network connection is already enabled, then first disable it and then re-enable it.
Restore the Previous Version of the Operating Version
Some of you may have started facing the WiFi connectivity issue on your HP laptop after updating your operating system version. If that so, then you resolve it by restoring the previous version of the Windows. There are multiple ways to do so. You can do it by the system restore point as well as the Media Creation Tool. If you have previously created a restore point, then you can follow the below steps to restore the earlier version of your Windows operating system and resolve the HP laptop WiFi not connecting problem.
- On your HP laptop keyboard, press the Windows and R keys altogether.
- Now use the Run dialog box to access the Windows System Restore wizard. Just type rstrui in the text box and then click the OK button.
- After that, you have to click on the Next option in the System Restore wizard.
- Now, select the Show more restore points option.
- Select the Next button.
- Go through all the restore points and select the most appropriate one.
- Click the Next button to proceed.
- At last, finish the wizard by clicking on the Finish button.
Now, monitor the process. Once it gets complete and the Windows previous version gets restored successfully, reboot your computer to slove HP laptop does not detect WiFi network problems.
Conclusion on Solving the HP Laptop WiFi Not Working Problem
We have seen that multiple reasons can prevent you from connecting to a WiFi network on your HP laptop. And the problem is not only for Windows users. People who use Ubuntu have also experienced the HP laptop WiFi not working issue. However, just like the multiple reasons, Windows users have multiple solutions for the problem. We have provided all of them in the above post and hope that they have helped you to connect to a WiFi network on the HP laptop.
Although all the above methods are effective but updating the wireless network adapter driver is the most useful among them. It can fix several other WiFi or network-related problems as well on your HP laptop. Hence, we advise you to install the Bit Driver Updater on your device and keep all the hardware drivers updated with a single click.
Furthermore, if you have some other suggestions for resolving the HP laptop WiFi connectivity issues, then you can share them with all of us using the comments section provided here and help the readers in solving HP laptop internet connection problems.