Do not worry if your iPhone doesn’t connect to the PC. You can fix this problem effortlessly through the fixes given in this article.
You wish to backup your valuable data or move files, such as videos and photos from iPhone to the computer. But is your iPhone not connecting to the PC? Well, you are not alone, and many others are also experiencing the same problem.
Now that you have landed on this article, you can put your worries aside. Through this post, we acquaint you with how to fix the issues if your iPhone can’t connect to the PC.
But before we jump to solve the problem, let’s first understand why the iPhone won’t connect to your computer in the first place.
Why is the iPhone not connecting to the PC
Here are the top reasons your iPhone won’t connect to your computer despite several attempts to get it connected.
- Outdated Windows or iTunes version
- Out-of-date driver for Apple iPhone
- Incorrectly installed Apple Mobile Device USB driver
- Outdated Apple Mobile Device USB driver
Above were the core causes behind the issues why your iPhone does not connect to the PC. Now, let’s look at the ways to fix them.
Fixes for iPhone not connecting to PC
Below is what to do if your iPhone doesn’t connect to the PC.
Fix 1: Perform preliminary checks
Before moving to complicated solutions, it is always good to perform a few basic fixes. First, you must try the below hacks to fix the problems if your iPhone is not connecting to the PC.
- Make sure the lightning cable is unbroken.
- Connect your iPhone to another USB port to see if it works or not.
- Disconnect the iPhone and connect it again to your computer.
- Ensure you have unlocked the iPhone before connecting it to the PC, and select Trust when asked about whether you trust or don’t trust the computer.
Know More: Solved: iTunes is Waiting for Windows Update to Install The Driver for This iPhone
Fix 2: Update Windows and iTunes to the latest version
Having an outdated version of Windows on your PC or iTunes on your iPhone is also a reason the iPhone can’t connect to the PC. Hence, below is how to update them.
Steps to update Windows
- Make use of the shortcut command to open Settings, i.e., Windows+I.
- Pick the Update & Security setting.
- Check for updates.
- Download the suggested update and install the same on your PC.
- After performing all these steps, restart your computer.
Steps to update iTunes
iTunes updates itself to the latest version automatically on Windows 10. However, if you are a Windows 7/8/8.1 user, follow these steps to update iTunes.
- Open iTunes.
- Choose Help from the menu bar and select Check for updates from the descending menu.
- Complete the iTunes update.
Fix 3: Update driver for Apple Mobile Device USB driver (Recommended)
Like almost every other computer problem, outdated drivers are also responsible for your iPhone not connecting to the PC.
It is the driver for Apple iPhone and Apple Mobile Device USB driver that helps your computer and iPhone communicate with each other. If these drivers are not up-to-date, your iPhone can’t connect to the PC.
Updating drivers is among the sure-shot fixes for the problem. You can update the drivers manually through Device Manager or automatically using a professional program, for example, Bit Driver Updater.
Bit Driver Updater finds reliable drivers, downloads, and installs the same on your PC with just one click. Moreover, you can also use this software to backup the existing drivers and get them restored, download the drivers faster, and improve the computer performance.
In our detailed Bit Driver Updater review, we have described its features, pros, and cons completely. You can take a look at it for more information.
Below we share how to get the updated drivers automatically.
- Download Bit Driver Updater and install it on your PC.
- Bit Driver Updater performs an automatic scan for outdated, corrupted, and missing drivers. Wait for a few seconds to get the scan result.
- Choose to Update All drivers to their best performing new versions.
If you desire to update only the driver for Apple iPhone and Apple Mobile Device USB driver, select the Update Now option.
To ensure smooth computer performance, we think it is beneficial to update all the drivers.
Fix 4: Reinstall the Apple Mobile Device USB driver
If you attempted to install the Apple Mobile Device USB driver manually, there is a high chance of incorrect installation. An incorrectly installed driver is also among the top reasons your iPhone doesn’t connect to the PC. Thus, here is how to uninstall the driver and reinstall it.
- Disconnect your iPhone from the PC and exit iTunes.
- Unlock the iPhone and reconnect it to the computer. If iTunes appears, close it.
- Use the Windows+R keyboard shortcut to launch the Run box.
- Input %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers in the Run box and hit Enter/press OK.
- Right-click usbaapl64.inf or usbaapl.inf and pick Install from the on-screen menu.
Note: Ensure you select the file with .inf extension or file with the Setup Information type.
- Disconnect the iPhone from your PC.
- Restart your computer.
- Reconnect the iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
Know More: How to Transfer Files From iPhone to Mac Without iTunes
Fix 5: Start the Apple Mobile Device Service again
If no Apple Mobile Device Service is running, the iPhone won’t connect to your computer. Thus, below is how to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service.
- Exit iTunes and disconnect your iPhone from the PC.
- Launch the Run box using the Windows+R keyboard shortcut.
- Input Services.msc in the Run box and click on OK to view all the services.
- Right-click the Apple Mobile Device Service and choose Properties from the available options.
- Change the Startup type to Automatic.
- Click on Stop.
- Now, click on the Start button to start the service again.
- Click on the OK button and restart your computer.
- Launch iTunes and reconnect the iPhone to your computer.
Fix 6: Reset your iPhone
If none of the above solutions worked (which happens in the rarest of the rare cases), you need to reset the iPhone. Here are the steps to do it.
Note: Before proceeding further, back up your data as you may lose it after reset.
- Open your iPhone’s Settings.
- Go to the General settings.
- Select Reset.
- Choose to Reset All Content and Settings.
Know More: How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC
iPhone not connecting to the PC fixed successfully
Above we shared what to do if the iPhone is not connecting to the PC. You can try the fixes described in this article to solve the problem.
If you do not want to waste time trying all the solutions, you can update drivers via Bit Driver Updater to fix the issue effortlessly.
For more information on how to solve various tech problems and updates from the world of technology, add Innovana Blog to your subscriptions.