If network discovery keeps turning off in Windows 10/Windows 11, read on to know how to fix it easily.
The network discovery feature of Windows makes it possible to share network resources between different systems. However, many users complained the network discovery is turned off in Windows 10 and is not turning on despite duplicated attempts, hampering the resource sharing.
Does the network discovery keep turning off for you too? If the answer is yes, you should read this article with undivided attention.
Through this typewritten note cum friendly guide, we acquaint you with how to fix the issues if Windows 10 network discovery keeps turning off.
But before we take you to the solutions, let’s first understand why you cannot turn on the network discovery in Windows 10 and the reasons it keeps turning off. Identification of the root causes of a problem helps fix it more precisely. Thus, we share the same below.
Why network discovery is turned off in Windows 10
Here are all the most probable reasons network discovery is turned off in Windows 11 and 10.
- Incorrect sharing mode
- Problems with dependency services
- Network discovery disallowed in Windows Firewall
- Problems with the network adapter
- Out-of-date network adapter driver
These were the most common factors because of which network discovery keeps turning off in Windows 10. Now, let’s troubleshoot this problem.
Network discovery is turned off in Windows 10/11 (Quick and easy fixes)
Below are some tried and tested fixes you can use to solve the problems if Windows 11/Windows 10 network discovery keeps turning off.
Fix 1: Select a different sharing mode
If network discovery is turned off in Windows 10, you may be using a public profile with private sharing. Thus, to fix the problem, you need to change the sharing mode. Here’s how you can do it.
- Select the WiFi icon from the taskbar.
- Choose the option to view the Properties of the connected network.
- Pick Private as the network profile if you are using a trusted network.
- Click on the back arrow to return to the Network settings.
- Choose Status from the left pane and then select the Sharing options.
- Now, launch the settings for the Private profile.
- Choose the option to Turn on network discovery and checkmark Turn on automatic setup of network-connected devices.
- Make sure to click on the button to save changes.
- Restart the computer and check whether the problem is fixed or Windows 10 network discovery keeps turning off.
Fix 2: Make changes in the dependency services
If there is any problem with the dependency services, Windows 10 network discovery will be turned off. Therefore, you need to make certain changes in these services to turn on the network discovery. Here’s the detailed process to do it.
- Search for Services and open them.
- Locate and right-click on the DNS client.
- Select Properties from the DNS client’s context menu.
- Select the Start option if the service is not running.
- Set Automatic as the Startup type.
- Repeat the above four steps for Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host services.
- Perform a computer restart.
Fix 3: Allow network discovery in Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall may block network discovery. And, it may be a reason the network discovery is turned off in Windows 10 or Windows 11. Thus, you need to whitelist network discovery in Windows Firewall to fix the issue. Here is how to do it.
- Search for the Control Panel and launch it.
- Change the view to Small icons and select Windows Defender Firewall from the available options.
- Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Select the option to Change settings.
- Find and enable Network Discovery for Private or Public networks.
- Save changes using the OK button.
Fix 4: Carry out network adapter troubleshooting
A few common problems with the network adapter can also be a reason the network discovery is turned off in Windows 10. You can run the network adapter troubleshooter to fix these issues. Below is how to do it.
- Make use of the Windows+I keyboard shortcut to launch Settings.
- Pick Update & Security from the on-screen panel.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane and then choose Network Adapter from the right section.
- Run the troubleshooter for Network Adapter.
- After the troubleshooting is complete, restart your computer.
Fix 5: Get the network adapter driver updated (Recommended)
There is no menace bigger than outdated drivers for a computer’s performance. Out-of-date drivers cause numerous problems. For example, an outdated network adapter driver leads to issues like network discovery is turned off in Windows 11/Windows 10.
Thus, to fix the issue that you are facing, you need to execute a network adapter driver update. You can perform this action manually or automatically using a program like Bit Driver Updater.
We always recommend the automatic one-click driver updates with Bit Driver Updater as it is more convenient and safe to update drivers this way. Furthermore, this software also offers additional features, such as driver backup and restore, increasing the driver download speed, scheduling the device scans, etc.
You can click on the link below to learn more about Bit Driver Updater and download it on your computer.
After you have got the software installed on your PC, follow these instructions to update the driver.
- Wait for some seconds (generally two to three seconds) till Bit Driver Updater scans your device.
- Update All drivers to their most recent version for error-free performance.
Though it is better to update all drivers for the best PC performance, still if you want to perform only the network adapter driver update, you can select Update Now.
Above, we shared what to do if Windows 10 network discovery keeps turning off. Now, let’s answer some associated questions to help you troubleshoot the issue better.
Frequently asked questions
Below are the answers to some of the most common questions about network discovery turned off in Windows 10/Windows 11.
Q1. What is the meaning of network discovery?
In the simplest terms, network discovery is the process that computers and devices use to discover one another when using the same network. It helps in resource sharing among devices on the network.
Q2. What is the meaning of network discovery turned off?
Network discovery is turned off in Windows 10 means that your computer is undiscoverable by other computers on the network. It prevents resource sharing among them.
Q3. How to enable network discovery?
You can follow these steps to turn on network discovery in Windows 10.
- Input Network in the search box and open Network and Sharing Center.
- Choose the option to Change advanced sharing settings.
- Expand your network profile.
- Select the option to Turn on network discovery.
- Click on the Save button.
Q4. What is the use of network discovery?
Network discovery makes it possible for the computer and other devices on the same network to find each other. It makes network resource sharing between various devices easier.
Q5. How to stop Windows 10 network discovery from turning off?
This article shared multiple ways to fix the network discovery that is turned off in Windows 10. You can use them to stop the problem from happening. If you cannot try them all, we suggest updating the network adapter driver with Bit Driver Updater to fix the issue once and for all.
Network discovery is turned off in Windows 10: Fixed
You can apply the fixes shared in this article if your computer is not discoverable on a network as the network discovery is turned off in Windows 11/Windows 10.
If you find any better solutions to this problem, kindly use the comments section to enlighten us and our other readers.
We hope you found this article useful. For more such posts, be sure to make this blog a part of your subscriptions and bookmarks.