Do not panic if the third display is not detected on Windows 10. Read on to know the most effective solutions to this problem.
Having a third monitor takes your productivity several notches up. It makes multitasking better on a computer. However, as many people have reported, the third monitor is not detected on Windows 10. If you are also concerned about the same issue, pat your back for finding the right article to read.
This write-up acquaints you with the solutions to the problem with your third monitor. However, before moving to the desired fixes, it is on point to answer a frequently asked question, i.e., “Why is my computer not detecting the third monitor?”
If you know the causes of a problem, fixing it becomes a smooth ride. Therefore, we share the same below.
Why is the third monitor not detected on Windows 10?
Below are some of the reasons why Windows 10 fails to detect the third monitor.
- Connection problems
- Incorrect display settings
- Outdated graphics drivers
- Incorrectly updated graphics drivers
Above were the top reasons for an undetected third monitor. Now, let’s get straight into troubleshooting.
Fixes for the third monitor not detected on Windows 10
Here is how to fix the issues if the third monitor is not detected on your Windows 10 computer.
Fix 1: Check the cable connection:
If the cables are not properly connected, the third display will not be detected. Therefore, check the cable connection thoroughly. You can unplug the cables and then replug them to fix the connection issue.
Fix 2: Check the display settings:
If you are searching for “Why is my 3rd monitor not being detected?”, the reason can be incorrect display settings. You need to check and correct them to get the issue fixed. Below is how to do it.
- Press the Windows and I keys simultaneously to open Settings.
- Choose System from the available options.
- Choose Display from the left panel.
- If all your displays are not detected, click on Detect.
- Drag the monitors, so they match the display configuration that you have. You can click on the Identify button if you feel confused.
- Wait for the computer to detect your third monitor setup.
Fix 3: Update the graphics driver (Recommended):
Almost all the display and monitor issues are a result of outdated drivers. Thus, if the third monitor is not detected, you can blame the out-of-date graphics driver. Updating it can help you solve the problem once and for all.
You can update the driver either manually (via the official manufacturer’s website, Device Manager, or Windows update) or automatically. We suggest you adopt the latter way as automatic driver updates are a lot easier to perform.
Software like Bit Driver Updater lets you update drivers in one click automatically. In addition to hassle-free driver updates, it also provides many benefits, like driver backup and restore.
We have done a full review of Bit Driver Updater. You can give it a read to know about this software in greater detail.
Below is the way to update the graphics driver using Bit Driver Updater.
- Click on the download link below to get Bit Driver Updater’s installer downloaded.
- Double click on the downloaded installer and install the software.
- After completing the installation, let Bit Driver Updater run a deep PC scan.
- Click on the Update All button to update all the outdated drivers automatically.
You can also get the graphics driver updated individually by selecting the Update Now option visible next to it.
Fix 4: Reinstall the graphics driver:
If you have updated the graphics driver manually, there are high chances that you downloaded an incompatible driver. Inconsistent driver updates lead to issues, like the 3rd monitor not being detected on Windows 10. Therefore, you can try reinstalling the driver to fix the problem. Here is how to do it.
- Using the keyboard command Windows+X, launch the Quick Access menu.
- Pick Device Manager from the menu that opens.
- Click on the Display adapters category to unfold it.
- Right-click on your graphics card and select Uninstall device.
- Mark the Delete driver software for this device option and click on Uninstall.
- After the uninstallation completes, restart the computer to get the graphics driver reinstalled.
Fix 5: Disable the display card:
For some users, disabling the graphics card has also fixed the problems because of which the third monitor is not detected. You can also try this solution by following the steps below.
- Launch Device Manager.
- Unhide the contents of the Display adapters category by clicking on it.
- Right-click on your graphics card and select the Disable device option.
- Wait for approximately five seconds to let the process complete.
- After five seconds, right-click on the graphics card you just disabled and click on the Enable device option.
Fix 6: Rollback the display driver:
Sometimes, rolling back the graphics driver to the last state also helps fix the third monitor if it is not detected. Thus, you can also roll back the driver to get the problem solved. Here are the steps to do it.
- Open Device Manager.
- Click on the category of Display adapters to expand it.
- Double click on your graphics driver to view its Properties.
- Navigate to the Driver tab and click on the Rollback driver button.
- Select any reason for the rollback.
- Let the process complete.
- Lastly, reboot your computer.
Third monitor not detected problem solved
Above were the known ways to fix the third monitor not detected an issue on Windows 10. You can start from the first fix and then go down the list till you find the solution that works the best.
If you do not have much time to troubleshoot the problem, you can apply the most recommended solution, i.e., updating drivers with Bit Driver Updater. If you know any other better fix, enlighten us through the comments section.
For more troubleshooting guides, add Innovana Blog to your subscriptions and bookmarks.