You can fix the Valheim dedicated server disconnected error effortlessly. The fixes shared in this article are all you need to know to do it.
Valheim is among the most fun to play survival and sandbox games ever created. However, since the last patch update, many players have been experiencing server errors that affect their gaming experience negatively. Are you also troubled with problems like Valheim dedicated server disconnecting frequently?
If yes, you are in the correct place. Through this article, we help you understand how to fix the Valheim dedicated server disconnected error.
Before we jump into problem-solving, let’s first look at its causes. If you know what has caused the problem, you can surely fix it better.
Causes of Valheim dedicated server disconnected error
Here are the top reasons why you are facing the dedicated server disconnected error while playing Valheim.
- Missing or corrupt game files
- Outdated network adapter driver
- Issues between the dedicated server and system files
- Corrupted dedicated server and backup file
Above were some reasons why the Valheim dedicated server won’t start or show the disconnect error. Now, let’s look at how to troubleshoot it.
Fixes for Valheim dedicated server disconnected error
Here are the solutions you can try to fix the Valheim dedicated server disconnected error.
Fix 1: Perform verification of the integrity of game files
If you do not have the crucial game files or the game files are corrupted, you are sure to face a dedicated server disconnected error on Valheim. Therefore, below is how to verify the integrity of game files to fix it.
- Launch the Steam client and click on LIBRARY.
- Right-click on Valheim and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Choose LOCAL FILES from the left pane and then Verify the integrity of game files.
Fix 2: Delete the damaged server file and the backup file
If there is no issue with the game files, the problem might be with the server file. It may be corrupt, causing the present error. Therefore, below is how to delete the server file and its backup to fix the Valheim dedicated server disconnected error.
- Follow the path C:Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\Worlds
- Locate and delete the Dedicated.db file.
- Locate and copy the Dedicated.db.backup file.
- Rename the copied file to Dedicated.db and save the same.
- After completing the above steps, restart your computer.
Fix 3: Get the out-of-date network adapter driver updated (Recommended)
Outdated drivers are the prime culprits behind almost all gaming problems. Most probably, Valheim dedicated server disconnected error is also a result of an outdated network adapter driver. Therefore, you must update it to fix the issue.
You can either follow a manual approach (via Device Manager) or take an automatic route (using professional software) to update the driver.
We suggest you follow the automatic method since it is far more simple, convenient, safe, and reliable.
You can perform the driver update automatically via the best driver updater, like Bit Driver Updater.
Bit Driver Updater updates all the out-of-date drivers in a flash with just a click. Moreover, it also lets you perform a driver backup and restore it, make the driver download speed faster, etc.
To get complete information about the features, pros, and cons of this software, take a look at its comprehensive review.
Now, let’s look at the quick steps to download and install the network adapter driver update on your computer.
- Click the below download link to install Bit Driver Updater’s installer.
- Click doubly on the installed file and go along with the directions of the on-screen wizard to install the software.
- Allow Bit Driver Updater to perform the detailed computer scan for some (usually two to three seconds).
- Update All drivers to their new version automatically.
If you want to perform only the network adapter driver update, choose to Update Now.
However, for the betterment of your computer’s performance, you should update each outdated driver.
Fix 4: Disable Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall and other third-party antivirus software often interfere with the functioning of the game. Therefore, you can turn off the antivirus and Firewall to fix the Valheim dedicated server disconnected error.
Below is how to turn off the Windows Firewall.
- Employing the shortcut command Windows+I, launch Settings.
- Pick the Update & Security setting.
- Choose Windows Security from the left pane and click on Firewall & network protection.
- Click on the active network.
- Toggle off the Windows Defender Firewall button.
Fix 5: Run Valheim as administrator
Running the game with administrative privileges can also fix many issues like the dedicated server disconnected error. Thus, below is how to run the game as an administrator.
- Use the Windows+E shortcut command to launch the File Explorer.
- Find and right-click on the valheim.exe file and choose Properties from the context menu.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab and select Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on Apply and OK to lock the changes.
Fix 6: Refresh the IP address
Network connection problems can also cause Valheim dedicated server disconnected errors. Therefore, you need to renew the IP address to fix it. Here are the directions you need to do it.
- Type Cmd in Windows search and right-click on Command Prompt.
- Select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Click on Yes to proceed further.
- Execute the following commands sequentially.
- After executing the above commands, close the Command Prompt window.
Valheim dedicated server disconnected error fixed
Through this article, we learned how to fix the Valheim dedicated server disconnected error on Windows 10.
You can either apply the above fixes consecutively or update drivers with Bit Driver Updater straightaway to save your time.
If you know other better solutions to the problem, share your knowledge through the comments section below.
For more troubleshooting guides for tech issues, join this blog’s subscriber list.