The function or fn key present on the laptop makes it so convenient to perform various tasks such as muting the sound, changing the brightness settings, and more. If there were no function key, then you would need to follow a cumbersome series of steps to accomplish these tasks. It becomes quite frustrating when the Windows 10 function keys are not working. Many users are worried as the function key on their laptop has gone dysfunctional. Are you also one of those troubled users? If yes, then focus all your attention on this typewritten note as here we share the quick and simple fixes to resolve this irritating issue.
But, before we discuss those fixes, it is crucial to ascertain the culprits because of which the fn key is not working on your Windows 10 device. The problem can be solved if you know what caused it in the first place. Hence, below we enlist its causes.
Why Are Windows 10 Function Keys Not Working?
- The drivers present on your laptop are outdated, corrupt, or missing.
- Your computer has some hardware-related problems.
- The Synaptics pointing device driver is conflicting with your laptop’s operating system.
- You have enabled the filter keys.
These were the prominent causes because of which the fn button is not working on your laptop. Below we address each of these issues one-by-one and solve the problem with ease.
Quick and Easy Solutions to Fix the Issues If Windows 10 Function Keys Are Not Working
Below are the easiest to follow solutions that you can try to resolve the Windows 10 function keys not working problem in a New York minute.
Solution 1: Troubleshoot Hardware Problems
Since hardware issues are one of the prime reasons because of which the Windows 10 function keys are not working, you need to run the troubleshooter to fix the problems. String along the below steps to do it without any cumbersome efforts.
- Hit Windows and I key simultaneously to call up the “Settings” application.
- Once the Settings app opens, click on the “Update & Security” option.
- Click on the “Troubleshoot” option located at the left pane of the Window.
- Select “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter from the on-screen options.
- Click on “Run the troubleshooter” to fix the hardware issues.
Solution 2: Uninstall the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
As mentioned above, Synaptics pointing device driver can become a reason for the fn key not working issue. Therefore, try uninstalling it to check whether the function key works after the uninstallation of Synaptics pointing device driver or not. Below is how to uninstall the driver.
- On your keyboard, hit the Windows and R key simultaneously to summon “Run box.”
- After the Run box pops up, type “devmgmt.msc” and click on “OK.”
- After the “Device Manager” is displayed, expand the segment of “Mice and other pointing devices.”
- Right-click on “Synaptics” and select “Uninstall device.”
- Click on the “Uninstall” button to give your permission for the uninstallation.
- After the uninstallation completes, restart your computer.
Solution 3: Uninstall the Hotkey Driver
Uninstalling the hotkey driver can also resolve the problems causing the Windows 10 function keys not working issues. Therefore, uninstall it with the below steps.
- Summon the “Device Manager.”
- Locate and right-click on the hotkey.
- Click on the “Uninstall device” option.
- Confirm the uninstallation and wait for it to complete.
- After the driver is uninstalled, restart your PC.
Solution 4: Disable the Filter Keys
Windows has filter keys that block repeated keypresses. These keys might be a reason for which the fn key button is not working on Windows 10. Therefore, disable filter keys to resolve the issue.
- In the Windows search bar, type “Control Panel” and select the “Best match” that you get.
- Click on the “Ease of Access Center.”
- Click on “Change how keyboard works.”
- Uncheck the “Turn on filter keys” option.
- Click on “OK” and “Apply” button.
Solution 5: Update the Keyboard Drivers
Out of date drivers not only lead to problems such as Windows 10 function keys not working but several other fatal errors as well. Therefore, updating the drivers is a sure-shot solution for almost all the problems that plague your computer. To resolve this function key issue, you are required to update the keyboard drivers. Manually updating drivers is tiring and risky for the well being of your computer. While performing the manual driver update, if you take even a single wrong step, then many fatal system errors such as Blue Screen of Death may come your way. Therefore, we suggest you update drivers automatically using ITL Driver Updater. This automatic tool not only updates and fixes the drivers but also solves all the device errors that trouble you. Before talking more about its features, let’s understand how to use this utility.
How to Update Drivers With ITL Driver Updater?
Updating drivers with ITL Driver Updater is easy as pie. Simply, travel with the below steps to do it.
- Download and setup ITL Driver Updater on your device.
- Let it run an automatic driver scan. Alternatively, you can also click on the “Scan” button to manually perform the scan.
- After the scan finishes, click on the “Update Now” button located next to the keyboard driver to update it. To update all the other drivers simultaneously in one click, select “Update All.”
Isn’t the process to update drivers with ITL Driver Updater so simple? Now after knowing about the easy steps to update drivers, let’s have a glimpse of the benefits of this tool.
Top Benefits of ITL Driver Updater
- It downloads and installs only those drivers that have a certification from WHQL.
- Performing driver backup and restore is easy with this driver updater.
- If you do not want to scan a driver, then it allows you to add the driver to an exclusion list.
- This tool is available in multiple languages and for all the latest Windows versions.
- It allows you to schedule and run the scans as per your convenience.
- ITL Driver Updater has an enormous driver database.
- With this tool, the performance of your computer becomes 50% faster.
The above list is not the end of the advantages and features of ITL Driver Updater. There are several other plus points of this utility that you will know once you begin using it. Therefore, click on the below link to install ITL Driver Updater.
Windows 10 Function Keys Not Working: Solve
This penned note tutored us on how to fix the Windows 10 function key not working issue. In our view, using ITL Driver Updater is the best way to solve this as well as all the other computer problems. If your views are different, then feel free to share them with us. And, be sure to subscribe and bookmark Innovana Blog for more such tech tutorials and other updates. Also, do not forget to share this post with all your peers who are also searching for a solution to the same problem.