Facing some issues after updating the operating system is quite common for the Windows 10 users. And the Windows 10 Screen Flickering problem is one of them. It is one of the most disturbing and irritating error on Windows PC. The issue keeps you distracting from your work as you are not able to focus on a particular thing if the screen continually flutters. Hence, it becomes the foremost task to resolve the problem of screen flickering on Windows 10.
But first of all, we have to discuss the reasons for the problem. Several factors cause the flickering issues on Windows 10. An outdated and faulty display driver is the prominent one among them. However, there are various other reasons as well, such as troublesome applications, wrong display settings, etc. Hence, below we have provided multiple solutions as per the factors resulting in the issue. Let’s have a look at them.
Methods to Fix Windows 10 Screen Flickering Issue
One can try the below solutions to resolve Windows 10 Screen Flickering issue. All of them are effective, but work best to fix a particular reason causing the error. Hence, keep trying the solutions sequentially until you find the appropriate one for your flickering problem.
Method 1: Try Disabling Hardware Acceleration
The hardware acceleration feature of your Windows 10 PC may cause the monitor flickering issue. Hence, you have to disable it. However, some of you may not have this feature on your PC, as it is quite graphics driver-specific. So, if you do not have it, then you can try updating the graphics driver and see if it shows the hardware acceleration feature. You can skip to the last solution to update the graphics driver.
If you want to know whether you have the hardware acceleration or not and how to disable it, then follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open Control Panel. You can use the search box of the operating system for this.
- Change the view to large icons.
- Choose Display.
- Now click on the Change Display Settings.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- Look for the Troubleshooting tab and click on it. If you do not have the Troubleshooting tab in the Advanced Settings, then you do not have the hardware acceleration feature.
- Choose Change settings. If you are not allowed to do it, then skip this method and try some other solution mentioned here to fix Windows 10 screen flickering.
- Move the slider to the extreme left.
- Select OK.
- Reboot the PC and observe if the screen flashing issue has got fixed or not.
Method 2: Disable Third-Party Anti-Virus Temporarily
Anti-virus is one of the programs on every PC that keeps on running in the background every time. Hence, these applications use system resources on your PC more than any other program. However, some of the third-party may use a lot of system resources, which may cause the Windows 10 Screen Flickering issue. That’s the reason why experts advise to disable the third-party antiviruses temporarily to fix the monitor flashing problem.
The procedure to disable a third-party antivirus is different for every particular antivirus depending on its interface. Hence, you can use the manual or guide provided by the manufacturer to disable it. Or you can contact the software support as well. If it resolves the monitor flickering issue on your computer, then contact the driver manufacturer regarding the issue.
Method 3: Change Screen Refresh Rate
Here comes another effective method to resolve the Windows 10 screen flickering problem. You can fix the issue by selecting a high screen refresh rate. Here is how you can do it.
- Move your cursor to a blank space on your desktop and do a right-click.
- After that, select Display settings.
- Now, scroll down to Advanced display settings and click on it.
- Select Display adapter properties.
- Switch to the Monitor tab.
- Change the screen refresh rate to a higher one.
- Click on Apply and then select OK.
Method 4: Update or Uninstall Some Apps
Some apps cause Windows 10 screen flickering issues and their manufacturers have also acknowledged this. Norton Anti-virus, iCloud, and IDT Audio are those programs. If you have these programs installed on your computer and started facing the monitor flickering problem, then you have to update or uninstall the apps to fix the error. If you do not have much time, then you can use some best software updating tools or software uninstaller programs to do your task.
Method 5: Try Disabling Windows Desktop Manager
Some people also claim that disabling the Windows Desktop Manager has worked for them to resolve Windows 10 screen flickering problem. Here is how you can do it.
- Type Services in the Windows search box and open it.
- Then look for the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
- Make a right-click and choose Stop.
- Then after that, make a right-click again and choose Properties.
- Now click on the General Tab.
- Disable the Start-up.
- Select OK and then hit the enter key.
Method 6: Update Display Drivers
As we have discussed earlier as well, outdated & faulty graphics drivers are one of the prominent reasons for the Windows 10 screen flashing issue. Hence, to fix it, you have to update your drivers. If you haven’t done it yet, then let us tell you that it is one of the most time-consuming tasks. However, you can use a reliable third-party driver updater program to make it fast.
But, as updating drivers is quite a crucial process, and you can not trust any other driver updating tool. Hence, we recommend you to use Bit Driver Updater. It is one of the most trusted and feature-rich program to repair device drivers. It can help you to get rid of almost every driver related problem. Hence, we consider it as the best solution to fix Windows 10 screen flashing issue.
Here is how you can do it.
- Click the download button provided below.
- Install the Bit Driver Updater by running the setup file.
- Then, launch the driver updating tool on your Windows PC.
- On the very first screen, click Scan Drivers.
- Wait for the search results.
- After waiting a few moments, look for the graphics driver in the list of detected driver issues.
- Go to the graphics driver and update it by clicking on the Update Now button.
If this doesn’t work, then you can try to roll-back to the previous version of the graphics driver. You can do it manually, but it may require you to perform a lot of technical steps. Hence, we recommend Bit Driver Updater to create a backup of the driver version and restore it whenever required. However, this feature is only available in the premium version of the program. But, do not worry, the rate is quite affordable, and the refund policies of the manufacturer are also user friendly.
You can also try to reinstall the graphics driver if in case you have not installed the driver properly. Although, this can also be prevented if you have used Bit Driver Updater to update and install the driver.
Best Way to Fix Windows 10 Screen Flickering
We hope that now you have resolved the Windows 10 screen flickering issue with the help of the above guide. All the methods are quite reason specific. However, the most prominent reason for the problem is faulty drivers. Not just the screen flashing issue, but faulty drivers can cause a lot of trouble on your system. Hence, at last, we would like to advise you to keep your drivers up-to-date. You can use Bit Driver Updater, as it makes the process a lot easier for you.
However, if you liked the above post and the information provided, then subscribe to the Innovana blog.