Are you struggling with problems such as the keyboard is not working or connecting? If yes, then do read this article to fix the issues in no time.
Why is the keyboard a part of core computer peripherals? Well, the reason is quite simple. It helps us communicate better, run quick shortcuts for performing various tasks on the computer, and perform many other activities that would be tough to accomplish without a keyboard. Now, what if the keyboard is not working on the computer? In that case, we have the option to use an on-screen keyboard since the virtual keypad lacks the comfort of and ease of use that the physical keyboard provides, the situation becomes frustrating. If you are facing this irritating situation where the keyboard is not connecting, then read this article with the utmost attention.
Through this typewritten note, we educate you on the most straightforward and sure-shot fixes to resolve the keyboard issues on your computer. Before moving on those solutions, we suggest that you turn on the on-screen keyboard so that you can implement the fixes with ease. In case you do not know how to do it, then follow the steps shared below.
- Click on the “Start” icon and select “Settings.”
- After the Settings come up, click on “Ease of Access.”
- Move down to the Interaction section and select “Keyboard.”
- Turn on the toggle to use the on-screen keyboard.
Now that you have turned on the virtual keyboard fixing the problems with the physical keyboard is a child’s play. You can solve them effortlessly with the solutions shared in the below section.
Sure-shot Workarounds for the Keyboard is Not Working Problem
Here is the simple to execute fixes for resolving the issues in a flash if the keyboard is not working on your computer.
Solution 1: Turn off the Filter Keys
Filter keys are known to interrupt the working of the keyboard and are one of the prominent reasons because of which your keyboard is not working. Therefore, travel with the below directions to turn off the filter keys.
- In the search box, type “Control Panel” using the on-screen keyboard and select the first search result.
- After the Control Panel window opens, click on “View by” and choose “Category” from the given options.
- Select “Ease of Access” from the options that you get on the screen.
- When the Ease of Access center opens, choose “Change how your keyboard works.”
- Unmark the “Turn on filter keys” option if it is marked.
- Click on the “Apply” button and then select “OK” to save the changes.
Solution 2: Adjust the Power Management Settings
Some of the options in Power Management settings such as “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” interfere with the working of peripheral devices and cause problems such as the keyboard is not connecting. Therefore, adjust the Power Management settings by implementing these instructions.
- In the search box, type “Device Manager” using the virtual keyboard and click the first result.
- When the Device Manager opens, click on the “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” to expand them.
- Double click on the USB that connects your keyboard (It is either USB Root Hub or Generic USB Hub).
- Once the USB Properties come up, move to the “Power Management” tab.
- Unmark the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” option.
- Lastly, click on “OK” and restart the computer.
Solution 3: Run the Troubleshooter
The native troubleshooting system present in Windows can fix almost anything, including the issues that cause the keyboard is not working problem. Hence, you can run the troubleshooter to fix the issue. Here are the directions that you can follow to do the same.
- Launch the Windows settings.
- After the Settings appear, click on “Update & Securities.”
- Once the Update & Security window opens, select “Troubleshoot” from the left pane of the screen.
- Click on “Keyboard” and run the troubleshooter.
Solution 4: Turn off the Fast Startup option
The Fast Startup makes the computer boot up quickly, but it interrupts the normal functioning of the device and leads to issues like the keyboard is not connecting. Hence, follow the directions given here to turn off the fast startup.
- Call up the Control Panel on your computer screen.
- After the Control Panel shows up, click on “View by” and choose “Large icons.”
- Once the Power Options come up, click on “Choose what the power button does.”
- Click on the link to “Change settings that are currently unavailable.”
- Uncheck the “Turn on fast startup” option and click on the “Save Changes” option.
Solution 5: Reinstall the Driver of your Keyboard
Many times, reinstalling the keyboard driver makes it work. Therefore, we suggest you try doing the same with the steps shared below.
- Launch the driver management tool, i.e., “Device Manager.”
- After the Device Manager launches, click on the “Keyboards” section to expand it.
- Right-click the keyboard that is not working and select the “Uninstall device” option.
- Now, give your confirmation for the uninstallation. While doing this, checkmark the “Delete the driver software for this device” option.
- When the driver gets uninstalled, restart the PC so that the driver gets installed again.
Solution 6: Plug the Keyboard to Another Port
It may happen that the keyboard is not connecting because the USB port is at fault. Therefore, connect the keyboard to another port and check whether it works or not.
Solution 7: Update the Keyboard Driver (Recommended)
Here comes the best way to fix not just the issues because of which the keyboard is not connecting, but also the other PC problems. However, the manual process to update drivers is not something that one can easily and correctly follow. Therefore, we recommend you adopt an automatic way to update drivers. In our humble opinion, you should update drivers automatically through Bit Driver Updater as this software update drivers in a flash and makes the computer a whole lot well-performing than earlier. We will have a look at the benefits of Bit Driver Updater a few seconds later. First, below are the simple steps to use it.
How to use Bit Driver Updater?
- Download Bit Driver Updater from the link given here and install it.
- Wait for a moment till your computer is automatically scanned. If you wish to scan it manually, then click “Scan.”
- Once you see the scan results, click the “Update Now” option given next to the problematic driver. For updating all the problematic drivers in a click, choose “Upgrade to PRO.”
Now, you must be thinking that do we have any special reason for recommending Bit Driver Updater. Well, we have a multitude of reasons to do so. Below we share them with you.
Why do we recommend Bit Driver Updater?
The below advantages of Bit Driver Updater instigate us to recommend it.
- WHQL certified driver downloads.
- Quick and easy backup & restores.
- One-click driver updates.
- Acceleration of driver download speed.
- Multiple language support.
- Enormous driver database.
- Significant PC performance improvements.
In addition to the ones stated above, several other benefits also make Bit Driver Updater our top choice to update drivers and elevate the computer performance. You can also know about them by clicking on the below link to download, install, and use Bit Driver Updater.
Is the Keyboard is not Working Problem now solved
This article helped us fix the issues because of which the keyboard is not working properly on Windows 10. We hope that the problem is no longer troubling you. But, if the keyboard is still not connecting or you need any other assistance to solve this or any other tech problem, then we are just a comment away. Moreover, if you like this typewritten note, then do not forget to subscribe to this blog. If you do it, then we will be motivated to post more such tech guides and solutions.