The BSOD error DPC Watchdog Violation won’t trouble you anymore. This post shares the simples fixes to resolve it in no time. Read on to know them.
A new OS update generally means a bug-free computing experience. But, this was not the same for users who updated to the newly released Windows 10. As soon as they upgraded to the new Windows version, an annoying BSOD error called DPC Watchdog Violation knocked on their computer screens. Though Microsoft rolled out another update to fix the issue, this irksome error continues to trouble a lot of users. If you are also one of them, then this write-up is for you.
Here we discuss ways to fix it in the easiest possible manner. But, before moving ahead, let’s first have a look at the reasons for which this error has come up on your PC screen.
What Prompts DPC Watchdog Violation
There are several causes of this troublesome Blue Screen of Death error. Below are a few central reasons that lead to DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on Windows 10.
- Outdated device drivers
- Installing incompatible hardware
- Compatibility issues between newly installed and existing software
- Out of date SSD firmware.
- Broken system files
The above causes may sound worrisome and tough to fix. But, they have got some easy-breezy fixes. We share them below and resolve this dreaded BSOD error.
100 % Working Fixes for DPC Watchdog Violation on Windows 10
Fixing the Stop Code DPC Watchdog Violation is an easy thing to do. All that you require is the below-mentioned simple fixes to do it.
Fix 1: Pay Heed to the External Devices
As said above, hardware compatibility issues are one of the major reasons for DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on Windows 10. Therefore, to resolve the error, unplug any external device that you have connected such as the printer, and restart the computer. Do this with each of the external devices to check which device is the culprit behind this error.
Fix 2: Replace the SATA AHCI Controller Driver
Replacing the SATA AHCI Controller driver has fixed the DPC Watchdog Violations on Windows 10 for many users. You can also try your hand at it with the steps below.
- In the search box present adjacent to the “Talk to Cortana” option on Task Bar, type “Device Manager”.
- Open the first search result that pops up on the screen.
- Locate and expand the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” category.
- Right-click SATA AHCI Controller and choose “Properties” from the on-screen menu.
- Move to the “Driver” tab and select “Driver Details”.
- After checking that iaStorA.sys is present, click on OK.
- In the next window that comes up, select “Update Driver”.
- Click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.
- Now, select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
- Click on “Standard SATA AHCI Controller” and choose “Next”.
- Restart the PC.
Fix 3: Check the SSD Firmware
As outdated firmware is also among the topmost reasons for DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on Windows 10, you need to check and update the SSD firmware. Below are the simple steps to do it.
- Launch “Device Manager” and expand the “Disk Drives” section.
- Write down the SSD’s model number.
- Visit the manufacturer’s website, search for and download the latest firmware version.
- Install the same on your PC.
Fix 4: Run a disk Check
Damaged disk or disk partitions also cause Stop Code DPC Watchdog Violation on Windows 10. Thus, implement the below steps to perform a disk check and fix the issues.
- In the Windows search box, type “Command Prompt” and right-click the first search result.
- Choose “Run as administrator” to launch Command Prompt.
- After the Command Prompt window comes up, type “chkdsk c:/f” and press “Enter”. Here, c is your hard drive partition’s letter.
- Now, type “Y” and again press “Enter”.
Fix 5: Run the sfc/scannow Command
Since corrupt system files often result in fatal errors such as DPC Watchdog violations on Windows 10, running the sfc/scannow command becomes inevitable. This command checks and fixes the system file issues. Thus, follow the below steps to run it with ease.
- Launch “Command Prompt” as administrator.
- After the Command Prompt window appears, type “sfc/scannow” and hit “Enter”.
- Wait till Windows detects and fixes the issues.
- After the issues are fixed, restart your PC.
Fix 6: Run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
Sometimes, the software that you have installed may not be compatible with the hardware. And, this may result in DPC Watchdog Violation on Windows 10. Therefore, to resolve the error, implement the below steps to troubleshoot the hardware-software compatibility issues.
- In the Windows search bar, type “Settings” and open the first search result.
- Choose “Update & Security”.
- Now, choose “Troubleshoot” from the left pane.
- Select “Program Compatibility Troubleshooter”.
- Click on “Run the troubleshooter”.
- Wait till Windows detects and fixes the compatibility problems.
Fix 7: Try running the Event Viewer
When you don’t know exactly what caused DPC Watchdog Violation on Windows 10, running the Event Viewing can help you solve the problem. Thus, follow the below steps to run it.
- Press the Windows logo and X key simultaneously.
- Choose “Event Viewer” from the menu that appears.
- After the Event Viewer opens, choose “Windows Logs”.
- Choose “System”.
- Click on the errors or warnings that you see in the screen’s middle for a detailed analysis of their causes.
Fix 8: Update the Windows version
A simple act such as updating the OS can also fix the major PC issues including DPC Watchdog Violation. Therefore, implement the below-mentioned steps to update Windows.
- Open “Settings” and choose “Update & Security”.
- Move to “Windows Update” and select “Check for updates”.
- Wait for Windows to download and install the available OS updates.
Fix 9: Update PC drivers with ITL Driver Updater (Recommended)
Outdated device drivers are the prime causes of not only DPC Watchdog Violation but the other errors as well. Therefore, the best way to fix the errors is by updating the drivers. Since manual driver update requires considerable time and effort, we suggest you update drivers in just a click with ITL Driver Updater. This wonderful utility not only helps you get rid of PC problems but also takes the PC’s performance to new levels.
Further, ease of use is another reason for which we recommend ITL Driver Updater. You only need to follow the below steps to update drivers with this incredible tool.
- Click on the download button to get ITL Driver Updater.
- Install and launch it.
- Wait for the scan to begin automatically. If in a rare case, it does not start, then click on “scan”.
- After the scan completes, click on “Update Now” to update a specific driver. You can also update all the drivers in a single go if you upgrade to the PRO version. Further, the PRO version also offers you some highly useful features such as Backup and Restore. Thus, we suggest you should try it out.
Yes, getting rid of DPC Watchdog Violation on Windows 10 is this simple. Therefore, without having any doubt in mind, click on the below link to get ITL Driver Updater for driving away all the PC errors and enjoying the ultimate computing experience.
DPC Watchdog Violation: Fixed
This write-up highlighted the fixes for DPC Watchdog Violation on Windows 10. Try them out and let us know which of these fixes worked for you. In our opinion, updating drivers via ITL Driver Updater is a sure-shot fix that works for almost every user. We will be waiting to hear out your views on the same. In case you have any ideas or suggestions about this post, then feel free to share them through the comment box below. Lastly, keep reading Innovana Blog for more such simple tech fixes and updates.