Microsoft introduced Windows 10 in 2015. However, after the launch, the users have started reporting various problems with the operating system. Although the tech giant has fixed several issues with its OS, but it is still vulnerable to many errors. 0x80073712 error in Windows 10 is one of those issues.
In this issue, the users are unable to update to the latest version of Windows 10. The users are facing this issue for many years. If this error has also impacted your PC, then relax. You can fix it with some previously tested hacks.
The Windows update error 0x80073712 indicates that your PC is lacking the file or having a corrupt file that is crucial for the Windows update. So, there is no need to worry as this issue will not impact the performance of your system. But as it prevents you from keeping your operating system up-to-date, hence today, we are going to mention some easy and reliable fixes to resolve error code 80073712.
Methods to Resolve 0x80073712 Error in Windows 10
Here are the methods through which you can resolve 0x80073712 error in Windows 10 and keep the Windows operating system up-to-date.
Run System File Checker and DSIM Command
As we have discussed, missing or corrupted files can be a reason for Windows 10 update error 0x80073712. Hence, to fix this issue, what is better than running a system file checker and DSIM command. Below are the instructions to run a system file checker scan and DSIM command properly.
1. In the Windows search box, enter ‘Command Prompt’ and then choose run as administrator.
2. Copy ‘sfc /scannow’ command from here and paste it in the Command Prompt Window. After pasting the command, press the Enter key.
3. Wait for the completion of the command.
4. Copy ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth’ command from here and paste it in the Command Prompt Window. Then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
5. After that, copy ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ command from here and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard one more time.
6. Now, after accomplishing DSIM Command, restart your system.
7. In the Windows Settings, choose Check for updates, and verify whether the 0x80073712 Windows 10 error got resolved or not.
Try Troubleshooting The Issue
As the issue is related to the Windows Update, hence, you must try resolving it with the help of Windows Update Troubleshooter. Here is how you can troubleshoot 0x80073712 error in Windows 10 using the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
1. Make a click on the Windows icon and then select settings.
2. Now choose Update & Security.
3. From the options available at the left section of the Window, select Troubleshoot.
4. Choose Windows Update.
5. Click on ‘Run the troubleshooter’.
6. Just do as the instructions given.
7. After finishing up the troubleshooting, restart your computer and try updating your operating system.
Try Changing the Name of Software Distribution Folder
Software Distribution folder plays a key role in the Windows Update. It stores all the files that Windows downloads for the update. Hence, changing the folder name may help Windows to overcome the Windows Update 80073712 error. Here are the steps that you can follow to rename the Software Distribution folder.
1. Run Command Prompt as administrator.
2. Provide ‘net stop wuauserv’, ‘net stop cryptSvc’, ‘net stop bits’, and ‘net stop msiserver’ commands respectively and press enter after each one of them.
3. Then, provide the command ‘rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old’ and press the enter key.
4. Now, follow the step 2 again and provide the same commands in the same order.
5. Close the Command Prompt window.
6. Reboot your Windows PC and update the operating system to check if the 0x80073712 problem has got fixed with this solution.
Stop the Windows Update Service and Restart It
Restarting the Windows Update Service has helped various Windows users to fix the Microsoft Windows 10 Update error code 0x80073712. That is the reason why we have provided this method on our guide. So here are the instructions to restart the Windows Update Service.
1. On your keyboard, use the Windows Key and R to start the Run program.
2. Then enter ‘services.msc’ in the text box and click the OK button.
3. Locate Windows Update in the list of services.
4. Right-click on the Windows Update, and choose the Stop option
5. After this, open the Run tool.
6. Enter C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download in the text box and click the OK button.
7. Select all the files, do a right-click, and then choose the Delete option.
8. Mark ‘Do this for all current items’ and select Continue.
9. Come back to the Services window and make the Windows Update start again.
Now, restart the Windows Update to see if the problem still exists.
Perform a Malware Scan
Malware is one of the most harmful programs for a PC. They can cause various problems, such as errors, data leak, system crash, etc. One of them is 0x80073712 error in Windows 10. Yes, malware can also cause this error and interrupt the Windows update. Hence, before trying to update your Windows operating system, we recommend you to clean viruses and all other malware from your PC using an anti-malware program. You can use the default Windows Defender, but for more effective results, we recommend using some good third-party alternatives.
If you are looking for an affordable and powerful third-party antivirus program, then ITL Total Security is one of the best anti-malware for you. You can remove almost every malware from your PC using this virus removing program for Windows operating system. The interface is simple. Hence, you just have to download > install > launch this tool. After that, all you need to do is to select the type of malware scan you want to perform. Then you can remove all the detected malware programs with just one click. To make the software more accessible, here we have provided the download button for ITL Total Security.
As you have removed the malware from your PC, go back to the Windows settings and start updating the Windows.
So, that’s all for the day. We expect that the information shared above has benefited you in resolving the 0x80073712 error in Windows 10. Apart from the above methods, you can also try updating the Windows with the help of a Media Creation Tool.
However, if you feel that we have missed some important information while providing the resolutions for 0x80073712 error, then please let us know about it. With the help of your feedback, we promise to bring you various such informational write-ups. Hence, subscribe to Innovana blogs and stay tuned with us.