Read this article to learn how to speed up your HP laptop and get rid of performance issues.
Nothing irritates a modern-day techie more than slow speed. If games take hours to load or web pages open at a snail’s pace along with overall sluggish performance, any user is bound to get annoyed. As complained by many users, the HP laptop is running slow. If you also have similar complaints, then continue reading this article with the utmost attention.
You might be wondering, “why is my HP laptop very slow?” Well, we have answers to this question. Let’s move to them before moving further, as diagnosing the causes perfectly leads to the perfect solution.
Why is the HP laptop running slow and freezing on Windows 10?
Below are the most possible causes for a slow HP laptop.
- Hardware problems
- Malware infections
- Windows registry issues
- Third-party software that pressurizes system resources
- Improper usage
- Outdated drivers
After looking at the underlying issues leading to the HP laptop’s slow performance, let’s go through the needed fixes.
Fixes for a Freezing and Slow Running HP laptop
You can apply the below hacks to your slow-running HP laptop to make its performance fast, smooth, and error-free.
Note: Before moving to the advanced solutions shared below, first try a quick restart if you have not done so already. Sometimes, a simple reboot does wonders to computer performance.
Fix 1: End the Memory-Hogging Tasks
Some programs consume a lot of memory, making your HP laptop slow and deteriorating its performance. Therefore, you can close them and check if it works to solve the issue. Here are the steps to do it.
- Right-click on the taskbar and choose Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and find the apps that consume greater memory.
- Right-click on these apps and choose End task.
Fix 2: Remove the Unneeded Startup Items
Unnecessary and resource-eating startup items are often a prominent cause of slow and freezing Windows 10 HP laptops. Thus, disable such items to fix the issue that you are facing. You can follow these steps to do the same.
- Launch the Task Manager (follow the first step of Fix no.1).
- Navigate to the Startup tab, right-click the unneeded item, and select Disable from the context menu.
- Reboot the laptop.
Fix 3: Perform Hard Drive Cleaning
A hard drive full of space-hogging unnecessary programs and files makes the HP laptop startup slow. Therefore, you need to clean the hard drive regularly to keep your laptop in a pristine state and its performance smooth. You can follow any of the below methods to do it.
Clean Hard Drive using Disk Cleanup
Below is how to free up disk space through Disk Cleanup, i.e., an in-built tool in Windows to remove unnecessary files.
- Input Disk Cleanup in Windows search and choose it from results.
- Let Disk Cleanup scan all files thoroughly.
- Review the results that come up.
- Click on Clean up system files.
- Checkmark all the files that you need to remove from your computer.
- Click on OK and then choose Delete files.
Use a PC Cleaner
You can also use the PC cleaning tools to get rid of unwanted files and other junk to give your hard drive breathing space.
Note: If you do not want to delete files permanently, then you can also transfer them to cloud storage, i.e., programs like Google Drive.
Fix 4: Solve the Windows Registry Problems
Invalid register entries, the cluttered registry also leads to slow performance of the HP laptop. Therefore, to fix the issues, you need to check and solve the registry problems. You can follow these steps to make your registry’s health better.
- Type cmd in Windows search.
- Choose Run as administrator from the left pane to launch Command Prompt.
- Input the following command and wait for its execution to complete.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Note: You can use the best registry cleaner to declutter the registry and fix related issues to speed up the HP laptop.
Fix 5: Check for Malware Infections
Your HP laptop may be running slow due to active viruses or other malware infections. Thus, run a virus scan before its performance further deteriorates and you face serious security issues. You can perform the scan through Windows Defender, i.e., an in-built software to protect the computer from virus attacks or use a more competent antivirus to do the needful.
Fix 6: Update your Operating System:
Microsoft releases Windows updates to patch security loopholes and fix problems, such as a slow-running HP laptop. Therefore, you can download and install the recommended Windows 10 updates to solve the problems with your computer. Here are the quick steps to do it.
- Press the Windows key in unison with the I key to open Settings.
- Pick Update & Security from the available options.
- Check for updates.
- Download the available operating system update and install it.
- Restart the computer after completing the update process.
Fix 7: Update the Drivers (Recommended)
Do you know most of the computer problems are a result of drivers that have not been updated for long? Yes, what you read is true. Outdated drivers are the major culprit behind almost every annoying PC issue that you are facing, including a slow-running HP laptop.
You should always keep the drivers up-to-date for supreme computer performance. There are two ways to update drivers, either you can do it manually through the manufacturer’s website/Device Manager or automatically using the best driver updater.
We find the second method more appropriate as it makes updating drivers a fairly simple process. All you need to do is follow a quick and super short series of steps to get the drivers updated automatically with excellent software, such as Bit Driver Updater.
Bit Driver Updater not only updates the drivers with one click but also offers many outstanding features, like driver backup and restore. To help you know the complete range of perks of having this software, we have reviewed it in greater detail. You can have a look at that in-depth review to get more knowledge about this software.
Below is how to update drivers using Bit Driver Updater.
- Click on the below button to get the setup of Bit Driver Updater downloaded.
- Click on the downloaded setup and install the software.
- Wait for the automatic computer scan to complete.
- Review the outdated drivers and click on Update All to get them updated automatically in an instant.
Fix 8: Clean the Browser Cache
If your HP laptop runs slow while browsing, then you may have accumulated browser cache. Remove it to speed up browsing. The steps to clean the browser cache vary slightly from browser to browser. However, they are mostly the same. As an example, below is how to delete cache from Google Chrome.
- Click on the three vertical dots present on the top-right corner of the browser.
- Choose Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Type Clear browsing data in the search box.
- Select your preferred time range.
- Checkmark the items that you wish to clean.
- Lastly, click on Clear data.
HP Laptop Running Slow: Fixed
Above, we have discussed multiple fixes to the issue that you are experiencing, i.e., a turtle-like slow HP laptop. You can apply these fixes either sequentially or straightway try the most recommended fix, i.e., updating drivers with Bit Driver Updater. And, for more knowledge on how to solve various annoying tech problems, keep reading Innovana Thinklabs Blog.