Simple acts such as reinstalling and updating touchpad drivers keeps bugs at a bay and improves the touchpad’s performance. Thus, here we discuss the easy methods to reinstall and update the touchpad drivers.
The mouse is a crucial component of every computer system. Since carrying it everywhere can be a little inconvenient, techies came up with touchpads, i.e., an updated mouse version for laptops. The glide pads make your work a whole lot easier as you don’t need to carry that bulky mouse with you. But, since the touchpad is a bit sensitive part, hardware issues affect its functionality easily. The best way to resolve the issues is to reinstall and update touchpad drivers.
Recommended Method to Update Touchpad Drivers
Before starting, we would like to recommend the best way to update touchpad drivers. If you have already tried reinstalling the driver, then the best thing that you can do to fix your touchpad drivers is to update them via ITL Driver Updater. Here is the link to download the installation file of ITL Driver Updater.
Thus, through this write-up, we discuss how to reinstall touchpad drivers and update them.
The Simple Methods to Reinstall and Update Touchpad Drivers on Windows PC
Below are the non-cumbersome ways you need to reinstall touchpad drivers. You don’t need to try them all. All you need to do is find the one that makes completing the task easier for you.
How to Reinstall Touchpad Drivers on Windows PC
Reinstalling touchpad drivers is an easy task if you know the best methods to do it. Thus, we share them below.
Method 1: Reinstall Touchpad Driver via Device Manager
Device Manager is an in-built utility in Windows to download all kinds of drivers. Below are the steps to reinstall touchpad drivers using Device Manager.
- Press the Windows and R key simultaneously to the open Run box.
- In the Run box, type devmgmt.msc and hit OK.
- After the Device Manager screen appears, locate and expand the “Mice and other pointing devices”.
- Right-click your touchpad and select update driver from the menu that comes up.
- On the next screen, click on “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
Now, wait for Windows to find and install the touchpad driver on your device.
Method 2: Uninstall the Driver & let Windows install it
Another way to reinstall touchpad drivers is by uninstalling it. Implement the below steps to do it.
- Call up “Driver Manager” and expand the “Mice and other pointing devices”.
- Right-click your touchpad and select “Uninstall device” from the context menu.
- Lastly, restart the PC. Upon restarting Windows automatically installs the touchpad driver.
Method 3: Browse your Computer for Driver Software
You can also reinstall the touchpad driver on Windows by browsing your computer for driver software. Here is how to do it.
- Evoke “Device Manager” and expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” category.
- Right-click your touchpad and choose “Update driver software”.
- On the next screen, select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
- Now, choose “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
- Select “HID compliant mouse” from the options that come up and click on “Next”.
- Lastly, follow the on-screen instructions.
Method 4: Use System Recovery CD ROM
It is possible to reinstall the touchpad driver using System Recovery CD ROM. Follow the below-mentioned steps for doing it.
- Evoke “Device Manager” and expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” section.
- Double click your touchpad.
- Move to the “Driver” tab and click on “Update driver”.
- Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click on “Next”.
- Click on “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and select “Next”.
- Insert the system recovery CD and click on “Have Disk”.
- Click on “Browse”, choose the CD drive and double click on your device’s folder.
- Double click the “Drivers” folder, select your touchpad, and click on “Next”.
- When the “Completing the hardware update wizard” comes up, click on “Finish”.
- Remove the recovery CD and close the window.
- Restart your laptop.
Method 5: Use the Have Disk Option
The Have Disk option can also be used to reinstall the touchpad drivers. Below is how to use it.
- Launch “Device Manager” and open the Properties of your touchpad.
- Move to the “Driver” tab and select “Update Driver”.
- Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click on “Next”.
- Click on “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and choose “Next”.
- Choose “Have Disk”.
- Click on “Browse” and choose “Local Disk (C:) and double click on the “Drivers” folder.
- Choose your touchpad from the list that appears and click on “Next”.
- Click on “Finish” when the “Completing the Hardware Update Wizard” comes up.
- Select “Close” and restart the device.
Method 6: Roll Back the Driver
In case you fail to reinstall the touchpad driver correctly, then you can roll back the driver to a previous version for making it work. Here’s how to do it.
- Evoke “Device Manager”, expand “Mice and other pointing devices”, and right-click the touchpad that you use.
- Choose “Properties” from the context menu.
- Move to the “Drivers” tab and click on “Roll Back Driver”.
- Click on “Yes” to confirm your actions and wait for the process to complete.
- After the process completes, restart your device.
How to Update Touchpad Drivers on Windows 10
Below are the simple methods that you need to update touchpad drivers effortlessly in no time.
Method 1: Update Driver via the Manufacturer’s Website
One way of updating the touchpad driver is through the manufacturer’s website. You need to implement the below steps to do it.
- Visit the touchpad manufacturer’s website.
- Find the compatible touchpad drivers for your device’s model and operating system.
- Click on the driver file to download it.
- Double click the downloaded file to install touchpad driver on your laptop.
Method 2: Update Touchpad Driver through ITL Driver Updater
Installing touchpad driver via Device Manager seems an easy thing to do in the first instance. But, when you try doing it for real, you realize how complicated it is to reinstall touchpad drivers through Device Manager. In many cases, when the driver update is only recent, Windows even fails to find it. In such cases, you need another simple and automatic solution. One of such solutions is ITL Driver Updater. This best driver updater lets you update the touchpad driver automatically in a single click. In addition to updating drivers, it also tweaks and optimizes the device’s performance.
Below is how to reinstall the touchpad driver via ITL Driver Updater.
- Install and launch ITL Driver Updater.
- Click on the Scan option that is located in the left pane.
- Wait for the scan to complete.
- After the scan completes, click on Update Now to install touchpad driver.
4 steps and you are done. Yes, it is this easy to update touchpad drivers using ITL Driver Updater. Moreover, if you buy the pro version, then you also get several advanced features such as driver backup and restoration. The premium version is available at an affordable price of $49.95. In our view, this utility is worth every penny. It makes your device perform faster than ever. Thus, get this wonderful tool and forget all the worries related to computer’s performance.
Method 3: Use IO Chipset Driver
To update the touchpad driver via IO chipset driver, you need to first install it from the Intel support. After you are done installing it, follow the steps below.
- Right-click the driver that you have just installed and select “Properties”.
- Move to the “Compatibility” tab and choose “Run this program in compatibility mode for”, and then select a compatible operating system.
- Download the touchpad driver from the manufacturer’s official website.
- Go to “Device Manager”, expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” and right-click on your touchpad.
- Choose “Update driver” from the menu that appears.
- Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
- Copy the address of the driver setup file that you have downloaded from the manufacturer’s website and paste it in the search box.
- Click on “Next” and wait for the driver installation to complete.
- After the installation completes, restart the laptop.
Now, Easily Reinstall and Update Touchpad Drivers !
In this post, we talked about how to update touchpad drivers. If you update and reinstall touchpad drivers, then it helps you fix the touchpad not working issue. We suggest you keep all the drivers updated with ITL Driver Updater for a snappy and smooth computing experience. Lastly, before you leave, do let us know whether our post helped you or not. And, subscribe to our blog for more such information and updates.