If you are facing an RPC server is unavailable Windows 10 PowerShell script error, read this article to know how to fix it quickly and easily.
Your computer communicates with other devices on the network using a communication interface called Remote Procedural Call (RPC). If the RPC server is unable, it is an indication that your PC is unable to communicate with other computers through your network.
If you are experiencing this issue, there is no need to panic. Through this article, we guide you through the best possible ways to fix it. But before we jump to the solutions, it is crucial to understand the problem’s causes. Thus, let’s begin with why the RPC server is unavailable in Windows 10.
Below are the top reasons you get RPC server is unavailable, i.e., error code 0x800706BA.
- RPC service not functioning correctly
- The firewall blocks the network connections
- The network connection is not set correctly
- Registry problems
Now that we have identified the core causes of the problem, let’s learn how to fix the issues if the RPC server is unavailable when logging in, on startup, or at any time.
Also Read: How To Fix The Requested Operation Requires Elevation Windows 10 Error
Here are all the possible solutions you can try to get rid of the RPC server is unavailable, error code 0x800706BA, in Windows.
Fix 1: Check and run the RPC service correctly
Your computer may not reach the other computers on the network as the RPC service is not running properly. Therefore, to solve the RPC server is unavailable error, you need to follow these steps to ensure the smooth functioning of the RPC service.
- Apply the shortcut command Windows+R to access the Run box.
- Enter services.msc in the Run box to view all the services (both active and inactive) on your computer.
- Locate the DCOM Server Process Launcher, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and Remote Procedure Call and check whether they are running or not with Automatic startup type.
- If these services are not running, you can change the Registry settings using the steps described in the next fix.
Fix 2: Change Registry settings
If DCOM Server Process Launcher, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and Remote Procedure Call services are not running, you may get RPC is unavailable on startup. To fix this issue, you can make a few changes in the registry by following these steps.
- Launch the Run utility (by making use of the Windows+R) command.
- Enter regedit in the on-screen box to open Registry.
- After opening the Registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcSs.
- Make sure there is no item like the one shown in the below screenshot. If you find any such item, get Windows reinstalled.
- Choose Start from the RpcSs section and double click on it, if the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service was not running correctly.
- Input 2 in the value data box and click OK.
- If DCOM Server Process Launcher was not running, go to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DcomLaunch.
- Select DcomLaunch and double click on Start.
- Enter 2 as the value data and click on OK.
- If RPC Endpoint Mapper was not running, steer to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcEptMapper.
- Make two clicks on Start and set the value data to 2.
- Check whether the problem is resolved or still RPC server is unavailable in Windows 10.
Also Read: WiFi Doesn’t Have a Valid IP Configuration Error (Fixed)
Fix 3: Unblock the network connections
Windows Firewall may accidentally block the network connections or the traffic that RPC wants. Therefore, to fix the RPC server’s unavailable issue, you need to unblock the network connections from Firewall.
If you use a Firewall other than that of Windows, you can go through its specific instructions to liberate the connections. Below we share how to do it in Windows Firewall.
- Evoke the Run box.
- After the Run utility comes up, enter Control.
- After the Control Panel opens, search for Windows Firewall and Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Go to the Remote Assistance and enable its communication for all the three options, namely Domain, Private, and Public.
- Check whether the error is resolved or not. If you still find that the RPC server is unavailable, don’t lose heart. Below is the ultimate solution to your problem.
Fix 4: Perform the network connection checking
If the network connection is not set correctly, you may get the Windows error code 0x800706BA. To fix the RPC server is unavailable, you need to reset file and printer sharing in network connection settings. Below is the way to do it.
- Call up the Run box and enter ncpa.cpl.
- Right-click on your network connection to view its Properties.
- Enable the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
If the above process looks cumbersome, you can enable the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks with just a network adapter driver update. Now, if you have started thinking about the complicated process to update drivers, we have good news that you can update them automatically with a single click using the best updater, like Bit Driver Updater.
Bit Driver Updater updates all necessary drivers automatically with no tiring efforts from your end. Moreover, it also offers many incredible features, such as driver backup and restores, increasing the driver download pace, etc.
You can use the below download link to get this software on your computer.
After you have Bit Driver Updater installed, here are the simple steps you need to follow to perform driver updates.
- Sit back and relax for two to three seconds till Bit Driver Updater ends the PC scan.
- Update All drivers to get their best and newest version.
If updating all drivers is not what you wish to do, you can update only the network adapter driver with a click on the Update Now feature.
However, for better computer performance and permanent solution of errors like RPC server is unavailable, tech experts suggest updating all drivers.
We hope now you understand how to fix the RPC server is unavailable PowerShell script error. Below we answer some related questions to deepen your understanding.
Also Read: How to Fix System Service Exception Error on Windows 10
Frequently asked questions
Below are the answers to a few questions we often receive from our readers and other users regarding the RPC server is unavailable error code 0x800706BA.
In this article, we discussed various ways to get the RPC server is unavailable issue fixed. You can go through the detailed guide above to know them. However, to solve the problem quickly and prevent its recurrence, we suggest updating drivers using Bit Driver Updater.
Q2. What is an RPC server error?
RPC server error is an issue that occurs when Windows finds it difficult to communicate with other devices through your network, for a variety of reasons, such as RPC service not functioning properly, etc.
Q3. How to enable RPC service?
Here are the steps you can take to enable the RPC service on your computer.
- Using the Ctrl+Shift+Esc command, launch the Task Manager.
- Go to the Services tab and select Open Services.
- Find the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and ensure that its status is Running and Automatic. If it is not so, change it.
- Similarly, check and change (if needed) the status of the DCOM Server Process Launcher.
Q4. How to start an RPC server again?
You can use the fixes shared in this article to restart the RPC server if it is unavailable.
Through this article, we highlighted how to fix the RPC server that is unavailable in Windows 10, 8, 7. You can begin with the first fix and then travel down the fixes till you reach the ultimate solution.
If you have any other solutions or questions regarding this problem, kindly contact us through the comments section. And, for more information on fixing various tech issues, stay in touch with us.