Don’t panic if the laptop trackpad is not working. We’ve got the simple fixes to resolve the issue.
Out of all the computer peripherals that we know, perhaps, the touchpad is the most sensitive. Even the slightest issue with hardware or drivers may render it dysfunctional. Thus, many users complain that the touchpad is not working on Windows 10.
Therefore, to help you and all our readers, here we discuss the no pain fixes to try if the mouse is not working on the laptop.
Recommended Solution For The Touchpad Issues On Windows 10
Before jumping to them, it is apt to talk a bit about the recommended practice to avoid such issues. One should always keep the PC drivers up-to-date and healthy. And doing so is not that easy. But Bit Driver Updater makes it easy for everyone. Hence, we recommend everyone to download the tool and use it to repair the PC drivers.
Now, let’s have a glance at the root causes of a dead touchpad. Knowing the reasons for the issue will help you resolve it better.
Why is the Touchpad Not Working on Windows 10
There can be many reasons for a non-functional touchpad. We enlist the core ones out of them below.
- Outdated drivers.
- Conflicting third-party software.
- Broken hardware.
- Changes made in the crucial settings of the PC.
- Not updating Windows to the latest version.
Now that you are aware of reasons for which the touchpad is not working on HP and other laptops fixing the issues is a cakewalk. Below we discuss the fixes that you can implement to get rid of this issue.
Sure-shot Fixes for Touchpad not Working on Windows 10
Fixing the issues if the touchpad is not working on Windows 10 is, no doubt, a daunting task. But, using the below-mentioned fixes, you can resolve them with ease.
Fix 1: Try Reinstalling the Touchpad Driver
Many users reported that installing the touchpad driver has fixed the touchpad not working on Windows 10 issue for them. Thus, you can also try doing it with the below steps.
- In the Windows 10’s search box, type “Device Manager”.
- Click on the topmost search result displayed on the screen.
- Once Device Manager comes up, expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” category.
- Right-click your touchpad and select “Uninstall”.
- Click on “delete the driver software for this device” and choose “Uninstall”.
- After the uninstallation completes, choose “Action” from the Device Manager’s menu bar.
- Click on “Scan for hardware changes”.
- Lastly, restart your PC.
After the completion of the above steps, check whether the issue is resolved or still the touchpad gestures are not working.
Fix 2: Roll Back the Driver
The touchpad driver that you installed may be incompatible with your OS. This incompatibility may lead to the issues because of which your laptop trackpad is not working. Thus, roll back the touchpad driver to an earlier version for fixing the issue. Here’re the steps to do it.
- Evoke “Device Manager” and expand the category titled “Mice and other pointing devices”.
- Right-click your touchpad and choose “Properties”.
- Go to the “Driver” tab and click on the button to “Roll Back Driver”.
- Click on “OK” and give the required permissions.
- After the rollback is complete, restart your PC.
Hopefully, this fixes the touchpad not working on Windows 10 issue. If it remains unresolved, then don’t panic as below we’ve got some more fixes.
Fix 3: Turn on the Touchpad
Your touchpad needs to be turned on to work. Therefore, below is how to enable the touchpad in Windows 10.
- In the Windows search box, enter “Settings” and select the topmost result.
- Click on “Devices” to open the device settings.
- Select “Touchpad” from the left pane.
- Turn on the touchpad toggle.
Now, check if still the mouse is not working on the laptop or the issue is fixed.
Fix 4: Enable the ELAN Setting
If the ELAN setting is disabled then your touchpad may not work. Thus, to resolve the issue of touchpad gestures not working, follow the below steps.
- Open “Settings” and choose “Devices”.
- Move to “Touchpad” and scroll down to the “additional settings”.
- After the Mouse Properties window opens, click on the “ELAN” tab.
- Select your touchpad and choose “Enable”.
Fix 5: Troubleshoot the Hardware
Running the hardware troubleshooter can fix the problems if the touchpad is not working on Windows 10. Thus, implement the below steps to do it.
- Open “Settings” and select “Update & Security”.
- Click on “Troubleshoot”.
- Select “Hardware and Devices”.
- Click on “Run the troubleshooter”.
- After the Windows finds out the problems with your touchpad, follow the on-screen instructions to fix them.
- Restart the PC after completing the above steps.
Fix 6: Perform the SFC scan
This fix is a bit complicated for non-techies. But if you want to try your hand at it, then follow the below steps to run the SFC scan.
- In the Windows search, type “Command Prompt”.
- Right-click the topmost result and choose “Run as administrator” to open Command Prompt.
- After Command Prompt opens, type “sfc/scannow”.
- Wait till the process completes.
- Once the process finishes, restart the PC.
Fix 7: Update Touchpad Drivers with Bit Driver Updater (Recommended)
Outdated driver is one of the central reasons for which the touchpad is not working on Windows 10. Therefore, updating drivers can surely fix this issue. You can update touchpad drivers both manually and automatically. We recommend automatic driver update via Bit Driver Updater since it makes the task a whole lot easier. Further, updating drivers through this incredible utility also takes the PC’s performance a notch up, makes it faster, and buttery smooth. Thus, follow the steps shared below to upgrade touchpad drivers using Bit Driver Updater.
How to Update the Touchpad Driver using Bit Driver Updater
- Download, install and evoke Bit Driver Updater.
- After the Bit Driver Updater window pops up, choose “Scan”.
- After the results are displayed, click on “Update Now” to update the touchpad driver. To update all the device drivers in one go, click on “Update All”.
After completing the above steps, you not only get rid of issues such as touchpad gestures not working but also get an improved device performance. With Bit Driver Updater at your disposal, your laptop works smoothly and speedily than ever. Thus, without having any doubts in mind, click on the below link to get this utility.
Touchpad not Working on Windows 10: Fixed
This write-up bought to the fore some fixes that you can try if the touchpad is not working on Windows 10. We hope that now you’ve got the answer to your question, i.e., “what to do if my laptop touchpad is not working?” If you need any more assistance or have any suggestions about this post, then feel free to let us know via the comment box below. We will return soon with another tech fix till then stay tuned with us. And, don’t forget to join us on social media platforms and subscribe to Innovana Blog so you get notified each time we post something that you may find useful.