Xbox is a favorite gaming device of millions around the world. After all, it makes gaming sessions even more fun and exciting. But imagine you are on the last level of a game, just about to win it, then your gamepad freezes, you lose your game control, and ultimately the game goes out of your hands. Well, this situation seems frustrating even in imagination. But for some users, the Xbox One controller keeps disconnecting, making their gaming experience unpleasant.
If your Xbox controller also disconnects randomly, then this blog is what you need to focus on. Here, we walk you through the ultimate solutions to this annoying problem. Yes, the issue is solvable quite easily without you needing to beat your brains out.
Most Recommended Method to Fix Xbox One Controller Keeps Disconnecting
If your Xbox One Controller Keeps Disconnecting, then the best way to fix this error is to update the drivers. Outdated drivers create a nuisance in the system and may result in this problem. We recommend that you use the Bit Driver Updater, update all the outdated drivers, and run your devices freely and smoothly. Download the Bit Driver Updater now by clicking the button provided below.
Before jumping into troubleshooting, let’s first answer a question that you might also have, i.e., “Why my Xbox controller keeps turning off?”
Why does the Xbox Controller Keep Disconnecting
Below are the most probable reasons why your Xbox One controller keeps shutting off.
- Weak batteries
- Interference from other wireless devices
- Outdated controller firmware
- Out of date controller driver
- Absent adapters
- Not having the Xbox Accessories application
Now that you know why the Xbox One controller may be disconnecting from the PC, it will be a cakewalk to fix it.
Quick Fixes for Xbox One Controller keeps Disconnecting from PC
You can try out the below hacks to fix the Xbox controller issues if it keeps disconnecting from your computer. Start from the first fix and move down till you find the solution that returns the perfectly working state of your Xbox controller.
Fix 1: Try the basic fixes
Before moving to more advanced troubleshooting, try the solutions shared below to fix your Xbox controller if it keeps disconnecting randomly.
Move the controller and console closer to each other
Your Xbox controller and console may be wrongly placed. They may not be in each other’s connection range. And that may be a reason why your Xbox controller disconnects randomly. Therefore, to fix the issue, place the controller and console near one another. Check whether this hack works or not.
Change or recharge the batteries
Weak batteries are among the most common reasons for your Xbox to keep on disconnecting. Therefore, check the battery indicator (present at the top right corner of the console’s screen) to know whether your controller has enough energy left or not. If not, then change the batteries or recharge them. If your Xbox controller keeps turning off even with new batteries, then move to the next hack.
Try power cycling the console
A complete restart or power cycle of the console can help you fix the problems with your Xbox controller and console as well. Below is the step-by-step way to do it.
- Press and hold the Xbox button present on the console for approximately ten seconds.
- After ten seconds, press the Xbox button again to turn on the console.
- Check whether the Xbox controller still keeps disconnecting or the problem has now vanished.
Connect your controller again to the console
Reconnecting the controller to the console is another simple hack you can use to fix the situation where the Xbox controller keeps disconnecting, but the light stays on. Rebuilding the connection in the case of a wired controller is simple. You can do it by unplugging and then replugging the cable. If the cable does not work, then use another one or switch to another USB port.
To reconnect the wireless controller, follow these steps.
- Press the wireless connect button of your controller till you see the Xbox button flashing.
- Hold the controller’s wireless connect button till the Xbox button becomes stable and stays on.
- Check whether the problem is fixed or the Xbox controller still disconnects randomly.
Remove other wireless devices
If the Xbox controller keeps disconnecting from the PC, then the presence of other Bluetooth, wireless, or devices like a microwave can be the reason for it. Remove such devices away from the controller and place them somewhere else.
Fix 2: Update the firmware of your Xbox controller
Outdated firmware can also lead to situations where the Xbox controller keeps shutting off. Most people confuse firmware with drivers. But these two are entirely different. A firmware is a program that controls your Xbox controller, whereas a driver is a software that connects it to the computer. Updating firmware is essential to keep the controller in shipshape. Below is how to update the firmware for your Xbox controller.
- Connect your controller and console via a USB cable.
- Log in to Xbox Live on your console.
- Press your controller’s Menu button.
- Choose Settings from the menu you get.
- Choose Devices & accessories.
Image Source: Free Driver Updater
- Select the controller with which you are facing problems.
- Choose the Update option.
- Continue the update process.
- After updating the firmware, check whether the Xbox controller is fixed or it still disconnects randomly.
Fix 3: Update Xbox controller driver
A driver can either make your device superbly performing or deteriorate its performance completely. It all depends on whether you keep it updated or not. An outdated driver is one of the highly common reasons why your Xbox controller behaves erratically and keeps on disconnecting. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to update it. Below are two approaches you can adopt to perform this task.
Manual way to update Xbox controller driver
It is a lot cumbersome to update the drivers manually. The manual process is not only time taking but exhausting as well. However, if you want to follow this method, then below are the steps.
- On your keyboard, press Windows and X keys.
- Select Device Manager from the menu on your screen.
- Click on the Xbox Peripherals branch to expand it.
- Right-click on the Microsoft Xbox One Controller and then click on Update driver.
- Click on the option that lets the operating system Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Let Windows find and install the needed driver.
- After completion of the above steps, restart the computer.
Automatic way to update Xbox controller driver (Recommended)
Why spend hours doing a task that you can complete in just a few seconds? It’s not what intelligent people do. Therefore, we suggest you update the Xbox controller driver automatically with just a click using software called Bit Driver Updater. It is one of the best driver update tools available at present with several features, such as driver backup and restores, ignore list, scan scheduling, driver download speed acceleration, and a lot more. You can take a look at its detailed review to know more.
Below is the way to update the Xbox controller driver automatically using Bit Driver Updater.
- Click on the button shared below and then download the software setup of Bit Driver Updater.
- Install the software on your computer.
- Wait patiently for a few seconds till the software scans every nook and corner of your PC for outdated drivers.
- Go to the Xbox One controller driver and click on the Update Now button located adjacent to it. Now, Bit Driver Updater will find, download and install the needed driver automatically.
Want to get rid of all PC issues in one go? Then Update All drivers.
Fix 4: Get the Xbox Accessories application
Not having the Xbox Accessories application installed is also among the reasons why the controller keeps disconnecting from the PC. Therefore, download the application to fix the problem. Here are the steps to get it.
- In the search tab of your computer, type Microsoft Store and open it.
- After the Microsoft Store opens, type Xbox Accessories in search and press Enter.
- Click on Get to download and install the app.
- Connect your Xbox controller using USB and open the application you just installed.
- Let the Xbox controller update and after the update is complete, check whether the problem is solved or not.
Fix 5: Replace the controller
Even after trying the above hacks if your Xbox controller keeps disconnecting, then try connecting another controller to your console, if you have two controllers. If the second controller works fine, then you need to replace the first one.
Xbox One Controller Keeps Disconnecting: Solved Successfully
Through this article, we elucidated how to get rid of the problems if the Xbox controller keeps disconnecting from your PC. You can try the above fixes to bring your controller back on track. In case you are wondering which is the best solution to this problem, we recommend you update your controller and other drivers with Bit Driver Updater. This software fixes this and all PC issues well. Now, you can recommence your gaming session and have fun playing games.